Author Topic: sound card?  (Read 3406 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: sound card?
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2015, 03:12:53 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:48:51 AM by Skuzzy »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2015, 09:04:35 AM »
Sorry sir, can we keep it on topic, the original thread starter asked for cards to consider, a few Sound Blasters were mentioned and I brought up the Xonar series.  The DG in particular.

Anyone else have a sound card they use and have had good performance with it?

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
I have the xonar dsx.  it's a good card.  but I dont think it compares to a card like the sb z series.  one thing about the xonar dsx i found funny is that it isnt color coded for the out puts. so you really have to mess around trying to figure out rear and side for 7.1.  front center and mike are the only ones I saw clearly labeled :).

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2015, 11:09:56 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:49:25 AM by Skuzzy »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2015, 11:24:19 AM »
When I tested the Xonar DX I found them to be quite a bit noisier than the claimed 116dB SNR. At the time I thought that the original testing had been done under a very clean setting, and that the cards were picking up noise from my system. Then I put together a new system for someone and tested the card in a 'clean' system (no other peripherals) and found the same noise. The D2X was doing the same thing, particularly at the end of 'play-once' audio in games. You can be forgiving of vox noise, because you don't know the source, but clean game audio should remain clean.

The biggest problem I have with the cards is that they depend on Dolby for their precise 3D positioning algorithms. The cards also use OpenAL as one method, but in that case the precision is extremely lacking. In fact, in AH I would see position variations of about 30 degrees (estimated of course). I concluded that Dolby is a huge mistake for games like AH (verified since). The better X-Fi cards also use OpenAL (although not needed anymore) and even though they were not a whole lot better on noise offered the best 3D positioning available.

Enter the Z series, which has three flavors. The Z has a beam-forming mic, the Zx an audio control module, and the ZxR the ACM and daughter board for "Pro" level inputs. The ZxR offers the best SNR of all the cards at 124dB, which won me over immediately. The reason is simple. I use a 5.1 setup with speakers that are $160 each and while noise does not translate to distortion (necessarily) I still do not want to hear it when I am identifying an enemy tank location. Since most people will never need the DB Pro inputs the Zx is probably the better choice for most.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2015, 11:29:18 AM »
See Rule #4

You need to research "DirectX" and "Miles Sound System."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:50:02 AM by Skuzzy »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2015, 11:38:10 AM »
You need to research "DirectX" and "Miles Sound System."

So it seems 'special trickery' is indeed used. This means that I have to change my stance on the potential benefit.

So you can actually benefit from a sound card while using AH2 I stand corrected - but in my personal experience I haven't found any need for it.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2015, 01:31:13 PM »
It's magic mrripley, that's why all the sheep are gone from AH.  they were sacrificed so we could have magical sound.  I would rather have the sheep back and keep using onboard sound rather than spending money on a sound card  :cry :cry :cry.

semp

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2015, 02:21:57 PM »
It's magic mrripley, that's why all the sheep are gone from AH.  they were sacrificed so we could have magical sound.  I would rather have the sheep back and keep using onboard sound rather than spending money on a sound card  :cry :cry :cry.

semp

Well don't worry I managed to rank in top 10 some tours in fighters using onboard sound when I still played more. It's about the pilot, not the computer. I never experienced any problems whatsoever using USB or onboard sound. I didn't bother to replace my creative card after it croaked some 10 years ago.

That's why I was so surprised how heavily they were emphasized.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2015, 03:28:15 PM »
. . . I would rather have the sheep back and keep using onboard sound rather than spending money on a sound card  :cry :cry :cry.

Meanwhile, the cost of everything between the microphone Nady I use to the sound card itself exceeds the price of most users' entire systems. So much for individual preferences.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2015, 03:56:33 PM »
Meanwhile, the cost of everything between the microphone Nady I use to the sound card itself exceeds the price of most users' entire systems. So much for individual preferences.

challenge you telling me you exchanged your sheep for a good microphone and a sound card.  say it isnt so, i miss my sheep  :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead.

semp

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2015, 03:58:25 PM »
No! Never replace a good woman for a sorry sheep!

This is why you can't be a Bishop!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2015, 04:07:43 PM »
Well don't worry I managed to rank in top 10 some tours in fighters using onboard sound when I still played more. It's about the pilot, not the computer. I never experienced any problems whatsoever using USB or onboard sound. I didn't bother to replace my creative card after it croaked some 10 years ago.

That's why I was so surprised how heavily they were emphasized.

so why are you arguing about having a sound card?

semp

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2015, 04:08:43 PM »
Semp,

I think that's why for the average gamer - Music Audio player the Xonar D series especially the dg at $30. is so popular, it accomplishes  a couple things, its cheap, offloads the CPU and improves the sound quality.

Lately AH and Win amp are all I use with a mid $ range set of Logitech 5.1's 

Everything I read today and the last few days point to a separate card, however more than I suspected including Toms Hardware and Audio Right Mark make the point that with the current ALC 889 I have the number of options not quality will be better. 

Going to Fry's tonight, I waste more than $30 bucks in a blink on a lot less useful stuff. 

Thanks all

PPS Ripley and Chalenge kiss and make up I enjoy reading your opinions  :salute

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2015, 04:16:29 PM »
ripley is just mad challenge stole his favorite sheep then trade it for a real woman.  you know love stuff :).

semp