Author Topic: Sqaud Insignia  (Read 4284 times)

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Sqaud Insignia
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2015, 10:53:28 PM »
That's fine, I appreciate it :)
See Rule #4

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2015, 10:19:58 AM »
Deliruim pretty much nailed the hammer on the head :D

I think this might be as good as its gonna get (Image removed from quote.)

I'm assuming that you're working with an editor that supports multiple layers, so I'm going to tailor my instructions to that.

For bare metal, what you want to start with is what kind of metal you want the skull to be made out of. Something like steel would be a dark grey (something like RGB 128/128/128), while iron would even have a little bit of red thrown in as well (something like RGB 88/66/66). Aluminum would be a light grey. When I do the aluminum on my skins I use RGB 197/197/197 as the base layer.

The next thing that you want to do is determine how "shiny" you want your metal to be. Squad logos don't support specmaping so you are going to have to do this by hand. To get the effect you need to have two layers set aside as the reflective layers. Remember that something like iron, or even steel won't be very reflective (if at all) so you could skip this part if that's what you wanted to do. Something like aluminum could be reflective but that's all in how you want to present the metal. If you want to make it look reflective, you have to imagine the skull as a 3D object and picture which sides are going to be facing up and which sided are going to be facing down. The sides that are facing down will have a green mask (I would say make the green quite dark) while the surfaces facing up would get a blue mask (making the blue dark as well). This effect is very easy to overdo so you want to turn down the opacity of these layers by a lot. I usually use no more than 15% opacity on my skins.

Keeping the mental 3D map in your head you need to then move on to the shadowing. It will have shadowing regardless of the metal you choose to make it out of. You'll need two layers to get this effect, a light and a dark. Before you start this however, you also want to create a point of origin for your light (I usually prefer upper right). Using this 3D image you've created in your head, any surface of the skull that's facing your light source would get shaded white while any surface facing away would get shaded black. You don't want the shading to be so dark that you can't see what's under it though. You should set the blending method of the layer to a point where it gives the illusion of being a shadow but doesn't eclipse everything underneath of it.

It's a little long winded, but I hope it helps.

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »
Thanks Player :salute Ill give that a try tonight

Heheheh Sloppy Coalcat

See Rule #4

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2015, 02:08:23 PM »
The sanctity of what this game use to be is disappearing and it's the newer players that are pushing it away. Is it a bad thing? To me and others like The Bug, maybe. It certainly is an evolution of a sorts and only time will tell if it has gone in a good direction. I've been here since Tour 11, I think I'll stick around a bit longer to see how it goes, but I sure do miss those old days when we use to play war.

Concur - I plan on sticking for a while myself.  I still get a kick out of the game
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2015, 04:34:13 PM »
Glzz and his squad remind me of the 'Knights Who Say Ni' who used to fly in here a long time ago. They didn't take themselves too seriously and that jovial and humble attitude is severely lacking in Aces High today. To accentuate the point, they pride themselves on flying P39s and generally die terribly quick deaths in them. Heck, SAPP was originally created to foster this attitude and never took the game seriously.

Would you rather have them fly 190D9s and proclaim their ability on channel 200, the forums and twitch (sometimes all at the same time)?

I wasn't pointing out Guzzlbait or how ever he spells it  :devil or anyone in his squad, Bug did that. I was just pointing out that it seems to be the general type of play. It is just the way "they" do it these days. I'm not saying its wrong, but I ain't saying it's right either  :P but it is how the game is played. I do agreed their style is much better than the second group you sort of mentioned  :D

I go back at least as far as you do, and I disagree.  While the younger players today often lack the historical background knowledge, and corresponding interest, that we had, I haven't noticed a significant change in the number of them willing to fight.  Some of our best and most combative sticks - Batfink, Joachim, TonyJoey - are young guys.  Some of the self-confessed F3 players and bomb-and-bailers are old guys.  And I'm not the only one flying 202s and Tonys and F4F-3s.

Where I DO see a difference is in the ganging and the emphasis on getting a kill in any possible way, but I may be wrong even there.

- oldman (Heck, I can remember people bailing when I was closing with them back in AW in 1995) (And do you remember all the threads from Long Ago about people who would follow your kill down to the ground putting bullets into it so they could get the kill?)

oh there is always a few that blow a theory apart a bit, even tho I wouldn't classify all of those as guys who will give you a fight, but thats another story/thread. Also I'm not just talking young guys here, I'm talking this generation of players. Their views of games are much simpler. They don't need, nor do they really look for any depth in a game. In most cases they just blow through it and move on to the next game.

At this point in the games "life" we seem to be losing more players than we are gaining.... that blow through and move on style I mentioned. This type of play isn't going to help grow the population unless HTC can come up with a way to drag in more people to off set that style.

Again, I don't blame the newer generation for "ruining the soul of our game!", but this type of style certainly doesn't bring whats available to life in the game much any more.   

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2015, 04:44:38 PM »
:old:
I don't understand where you guys get the idea that younger people don't play this to pretend their a WW2 Pilot. My favorite thing to do is to set up a Axis Vs Allies show down in  custom arena with my sqaudies.

Lets stop with the derail Bug started.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:28:11 PM by glzsqd »
See Rule #4

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2015, 05:39:24 PM »
Sorry if I might be showing you up glzz, I had some time in between classes and was very, very bored.

Edit: I should have made the shadows along the ears a bit lighter, they look very silly as they are now.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:42:09 PM by Dragon Tamer »

Offline master80

• Zinc Member
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2015, 05:48:02 PM »
I don't understand where you guys get the idea that younger people don't play this to pretend their a WW2 Pilot. My favorite thing to do is to set up a Axis Vs Allies show down in  custom arena with my sqaudies.

Yeah I agree...
~242nd Sloppy Terminators~
huh what happened

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2015, 06:21:44 PM »
To make up for my little hi-jack, maybe you can work with this one.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2015, 08:58:41 PM »

I only answered the questions that you asked.  It may be hard for you but please be factual.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2015, 09:34:16 PM »
See Rule #4

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2015, 07:08:36 AM »
Nice logo!

Give him a can of bug spray!

A broken or missing lens on the android side would be cool.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2015, 08:25:37 AM »
Sorry if I might be showing you up glzz, I had some time in between classes and was very, very bored.

(Image removed from quote.)

Edit: I should have made the shadows along the ears a bit lighter, they look very silly as they are now.

Thats quite alright, Its nice to see what it should look like. Well done  :aok
See Rule #4

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2015, 01:34:42 PM »
Ok here is my final version for the Nose Art

Real far cry from

Mar, do you think you could mabye post a step by step with some screenshots while you convert it? If thats asking to much than I won't be upset, you've already helped more than enough.
See Rule #4

Online Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2015, 02:00:31 PM »
I'll see what I can do. :old:
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old: