Author Topic: A Son Finds His Father on Guadalcanal  (Read 396 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: A Son Finds His Father on Guadalcanal
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 11:19:34 AM »
Good read, thanks.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 03:43:29 PM »
Good read as well, been thinking about lots of things today after reading it.  The author's father was in the same Marine unit my best friend was, 5th Regiment/1st Marines, the most decorated and storied unit in the entire USMC.  We worked together at 2 PMCs and took our SigSauer pistol instructors and armorers courses simultaneously, where we met.  He was killed almost 9 years ago in about 5 weeks from now, SSgt Brent Clearman.

Anyhow, thanks for the link to this story, brought back some similar feelings as the author for me today.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 05:36:47 PM »
Peter Richmond's book is a very good read.  I've had it on my shelf for a while now.  His effort to understand the father he lost when he was young was a very moving story.  That his dad survived all he did in WW2 only to die in a mid-air in 62 between a Dc-8 and a Constellation over New York seems incredibly unfair.

"My Father's War" is a good companion to "With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge, and "Goodbye Darkness" by William Manchester.  Throw in Bill Sloan's books on Pelilieu and Okinawa and you get one heckuva good look at the war the Marines Fought in the PTO
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 05:45:58 PM »
Forgot another good book about a son and his former WW2 Marine dad that is also very good.

"Bringing home Mulligan" by Dale Maharidge.  His Dad also saw heavy combat on Okinawa and the impact it had on him and his family postwar makes for an powerful story
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters