Author Topic: AH book club  (Read 7110 times)

Offline hcrana

• Copper Member
      • http://www.menacingferrets.com
Re: AH book club
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2015, 06:07:28 PM »
Herr Doktor Professor Kolonel H.C. Rana
Kommanding Ossifer, The Menacing Ferrets
ILLEGITIMATVS NON CARBORVNDVM EST

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2015, 06:22:03 PM »
I have seen the pilot which I liked.  I do not know if it has been picked up as a series however.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2015, 07:09:37 PM »
Any of you men like reading about Vietnam , Seems I'm hooked on those mostly . Anyone know of a good read on this .

Guns up was good also look at 13cent killers by John J Culbertson
Blood on the Risers by John Leppelman
Acceptable Loss by Kregg P.J. Jorgensen
Seawolves by Daniel E. Kelly
And one I read in high school calls Fallen Angels I can't recall the authors name the copy I had was a paper back the cover being white with the title in red letters and soldiers standing in a group.
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2015, 07:27:50 PM »
 Recommend 'Studio Europe' and 'Studio Asia' , by John Groth.
Good reads, rare but not pricey...the 2nd reads like our Vietnam, but it's the French, earlier. We just repeated the mistakes.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2015, 07:50:37 PM »
Any of you men like reading about Vietnam , Seems I'm hooked on those mostly . Anyone know of a good read on this .

"Dispatches". Michael Herr
"Rumor of War" Phillip Caputo
"Fields of Fire" James Webb

Those are my top three in that order.  Others worth the time include books by Tim O'Brien.  Tim Pages book detailing the correspondents and photographers killed is very worthwhile also.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2015, 08:10:23 PM »

Those are my top three in that order.  Others worth the time include books by Tim O'Brien.  Tim Pages book detailing the correspondents and photographers killed is very worthwhile also.

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien is one of my favorite books, it's fiction (and actually has a re-occurring themes of facts vs memory and what's real).  It's a pretty quick read and I heavily recommend it, a great piece of literature.

I also really enjoyed The Cat From Hue by John Laurence.  The author was a war correspondent for Kronkite and adopted a feral cat while covering the batte for Hue.  The book chronicles his time in Vietnam and how perceptions of the war changed.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2015, 09:12:29 PM »

I consider "365 Days" by Ronald Glasser to be one of the three or four best books written about any war.  For those of you who have read it, I know a guy who knew the real-life Macabe in "The Shaping Up of Macabe."

"Fields of Fire," as others have said.

"The Thirteenth Valley," by John del Vecchio, is vivid.  I rank it only slightly below "365 Days."

I don't think the factual histories will catch up with the novels until we can see whatever documentation the Vietnamese have from their side of the war.

- oldman

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2015, 09:25:50 PM »
Leadership Secrets of Atilla the Hun
Top Gun

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2015, 01:44:27 PM »
Thanks for the tips . Going to the library in the morning . Well have to see what they got from what you guy's have posted . Thx
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Draggon

• Copper Member
      • vmf214blacksheep.webs.com
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2015, 02:30:16 PM »
Here are two great books I couldn't put down.
 first one is the Autobiography of Greg "Pappy" Boyington
The second is the Autobiography of the Highest scoring ace in WWII
Eric Harman, the Blonde Knight of Germany.
Great books!

CO VMF214 "BLACK SHEEP" Commanding
"Actually however the object isn't to bail out of your ship, but to make the other fellow bail out of his''

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2015, 10:48:54 PM »

My Dad (Ranger, FO 173rd AB Vietnam 66-67, 68-69) gave me Fields of Fire and said, "This was how it was..."  Great book.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2015, 11:59:01 PM »
"The Fantastic civil war" is a compilation book of alternate history/ fictional American civil war short stories.

Some are horrible, but some are... Fantastic.

One covers U.S. and world history if the Confederacy won. A few more involved time travel and advanced weapons in the civil war. The Wright flyer makes an appearance.

Fun book.

Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2015, 05:58:14 AM »
"The Fantastic civil war" is a compilation book of alternate history/ fictional American civil war short stories.

Some are horrible, but some are... Fantastic.

One covers U.S. and world history if the Confederacy won. A few more involved time travel and advanced weapons in the civil war. The Wright flyer makes an appearance.

Fun book.

Something I can not read about . All my family was in that fight , lost most of them .
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:59:51 AM by Flench »
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
      • Arabian Knights Official Web Page
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2015, 07:56:35 AM »
My Dad (Ranger, FO 173rd AB Vietnam 66-67, 68-69) gave me Fields of Fire and said, "This was how it was..."  Great book.

Cool!  I need a good book from that era.  One of my favorite Vietnam books is by a Huey pilot called

"Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason

http://www.amazon.com/Chickenhawk-Robert-Mason/dp/0143035711/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428065503&sr=8-1&keywords=chickenhawk
AKShrike - CO Arabian Knights
USA!!!
http://aksquad.net/
USAF 85-95

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2015, 01:49:39 AM »
Something I can not read about . All my family was in that fight , lost most of them .

I think just about everyone who has US ancestors going back that far has somebody KIA or DWRIA in the Civil War.

I've always been utterly baffled by southerners' obsession with the Civil War. Granted it was a brutal, very personal war, but even Europe seems to have mostly forgiven Germany for WWII, and that's still within living memory.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.