Author Topic: converting an extra keyboard to a control panel  (Read 563 times)

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
converting an extra keyboard to a control panel
« on: March 01, 2015, 05:36:12 PM »
Rodger Dodger Aviation has a video about using keyboards for control panels and I have a Belkin keyboard I can use.

http://www.rogerdodger.net/diyflightsims/keyboard_home.html

Is it possible to get AH to see a second keyboard as a control panel and not as a mirror image of your primary keyboard ?
If so, how would I go about it ?

LtngRydr
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: converting an extra keyboard to a control panel
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 06:11:42 PM »
Had a friend that years ago used a keyboard to wire hie cockpit.

The wires went to the switch matrix (line 1 x col 1 = the "Q" button) and were programmed through the AH key mapper. All those button and switches worked things in the game.

Offline Warty

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »
I fly with a roger dodger simpit. Love it!

Anyway, I did the keyboard thing too, but the answer to your question is "no". All USB keyboards are equal under Windows, so if you hit an "s" on that keyboard, it's the exact same thing as hitting an "s" with your regular keyboard. Having said that, I've been doing that for years, and haven't noticed any problem. Obviously, need one keyboard to type on, one to be your fake control panel.

Also, while I actually think mine looks really cool, and helps me find things (I did color coding around functional areas), I got bored and built a button box, that, in combination with an old SunCom throttle I upgraded (like Warthog/F15 throttle), gives me all the buttons AH can handle. I used Leo Bodnar's board, which also handles analog inputs by the way, but there is another one that someone recommended to me recently, which, if I were starting over, I might use instead. A bit more pricey though. I'll find the name if you're interested.

Offline Warty

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 02:51:21 PM »
Wow, that's a great job on that pit. I'm jealous of people who make great pits. I make the ugliest, fastest thing I can get away with (the fast part helps ensure I'll actually use the thing before I die!).

I took some pics of the keyboard I use, and the switch box. Of the ones on the keyboard, the only keys I don't have mapped to stick/rudder/button box are I think zoom map in/out, and the expand radio buffer. Aces High really doesn't have that many controls, so you don't need much... I think I used the keyboard only for 2-3 years, and the button box isn't really any better, it's just more fun.

The other control board is this one, the U-HID. Zerstorer recommended it. I haven't used it, but it does look good.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 04:01:01 PM »
Nice setup.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member