Author Topic: Armament Options, Which and Why Pyro ?  (Read 805 times)

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
Armament Options, Which and Why Pyro ?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2000, 04:55:00 PM »

Originally posted by juzz:
I have previously pasted a quote on this BBS from a Malta Spitfire pilot - the reasons he stated for reducing the 4 HS to 2(no MG's added) in that case were:

1. Less guns per fighter to maintain and keep operating.
2. Shortage of 20mm ammo.
3. Performance boost - with all the desert gear the Mk VC(T) was much heavier.
4. 2 HS was lethal enough, even vs Ju 88.

When the Mk IX came about, the C wing was not to be used because they wanted to keep the weight of the aircraft down, as it had been creeping up all through Mk V production. I doubt you will find any Mk IX were in service with a C wing.

The C wing was used on almost all IXs, the 4 20mm armament option wasn't.
Of all the reasons the Malta Spit pilot gave, most of them were unique to Malta. Supply of everything was limited on Malta, so spare parts and ammunition had to be conserved. This wasn't the case elsewhere.
We don't have the tropical filter on the AH spits, so the performance hit wouldn't be so bad. And while 2 20mm was ample for the Ju88, it is barely adequete for the B17.

Offline metronom

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2000, 05:24:00 PM »
The Yak9
Yes i do like this Plane. But after flying Planes with almost unlimited ammo (P51,FW190 etc) it's quite a challenge do make a kill with only 320+60 rounds on the guns.
So after takin down a B26 only with 25 shots from the cannon i was delighted. I mean i showed skill and had a BIG part of luck to do it so.:-)
And hopin on a IL2"Sturmovik". He could be the best Panzer and ack killer out there.

Sailor

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2000, 06:02:00 PM »

Originally posted by Nashwan:
I doubt that replacing 4 MGs with 2 cannon in the wings would have as detremental an effect on the SPit as hanging 2 20mm under the wings of the 109.
The Spit only faced lightly armed German and Italian bombers. There was no real need for 4 20mm. In AH Spits face B17s and B26s. 4 20mm would be a nice option to have. Even if it wasn't used much on the Spit, it was available on almost all of them. That little fairing next to the cannon isn't there for decoration you know.

Nashwan
I agree that they never faced anything like a b17 in malta. But the Ju88 was a very robust aircraft.
You are mistaken about the effect vs the effect of the gondolas on the 109. The Hispano is heavier its rounds are heavier the gun produces much more recoil.  Comparing to the 4 gun FW is probebly more relevant as they are at about the same place in the wing and can be implemented with bulges not gondolas. I find the extra 2 guns too high a price to pay on the FW. I would expect the Spit Vc pays a much higher price.

As has been pointed out repeatedly in defence of the Hispano. It fired a heavier round at a high rate of fire and at much higher muzzle velocities. To say that 2 browning 303 machine guns have the same effect on the AC is a bit shallow I believe.
As the Spit airframe and wings became more solid and heavier in the post 14 airframes it would have been more feasable.

If the 4 cannon load out apprears on a Merlin Spit. It will likly only be on the Vc and we should be prepared for a signifigant effect on the handling of the aircraft.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2000, 06:58:00 PM »
Verm,
Elaborate on your confusion over the Yak-9U in AH by sending me an  email to  guerrero@oz.net  .  I'm finding this plane almost unstoppable, and am really loving it.

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 06-25-2000).]
ingame: Raz

avin

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2000, 07:44:00 AM »
Pyro,

It sounds like you're thinking the NS37 on the yak-9T was primarily an AT gun?

I'm sure leonid will pass on his sources to you, but the chapter on the yak-9T in Gordon and Khazanov makes it clear the NS37 was evaluated primarily as an A2A weapon, with very satisfactory results.

avin

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2000, 08:38:00 AM »
Its probably just a matter of needing more stick time Leonid.

Mostly a matter of going from a P-51 style mentality to a 109 style mentality.

My biggest problem I think is getting use to the trim required to fly it. True its not like a G10's trim problems, but they're certainly more pronounced than in a Mustang. I've noticed that I have to feed in alot of nose down trim in a dive or at about 400 IAS the nose wants to rise up quite a bit.

Just a matter of learning a new plane I guess.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2000, 09:13:00 AM »
Leonid, you're right!!