Author Topic: A-320 crash  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Re: A-320 crash
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 08:28:01 AM »
Am I correct that in the US there are always two people in the cockpit?  I have seen pilots leave the cockpit (after precautionary measures) to hit the head and each time a flight attendant enters the cockpit  to take their place temporarily.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2015, 09:00:11 AM »
With time and technology we can hopefully remove these irrational, emotional, fallible, sometimes suicidal stick monkeys from the cockpit altogether.

I think that with a little push this would already be achievable.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2015, 09:07:18 AM »
Am I correct that in the US there are always two people in the cockpit?  I have seen pilots leave the cockpit (after precautionary measures) to hit the head and each time a flight attendant enters the cockpit  to take their place temporarily.

Yeah but whats a 130 lb girl going to do to stop a guy from going bonkers?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2015, 09:24:42 AM »

Hopefully she could open the door.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2015, 09:35:51 AM »

She could show her boobs to distract him.  :ahand
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2015, 09:47:23 AM »
She could show her boobs to distract him.  :ahand

Not all flight attendants are female these days.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2015, 11:09:16 AM »
With time and technology we can hopefully remove these irrational, emotional, fallible, sometimes suicidal stick monkeys from the cockpit altogether.

LOL
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2015, 11:10:07 AM »
And what prevent that guy from flipping out and kill the pilots?

This. You have as much or more of a chance of getting a whacko in that cadre of watchers.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2015, 11:42:44 AM »

Maybe not on the outside. Bottom line is if you have a Loon at the controls and he wants to take a dive into the dirt what is there to stop him? Very difficult I bet, even if you have a male Pro-wrestler in Loafers as a stew. I bet it only takes a few seconds to make the air craft unrecoverable, or, make the G-forces to high to even get to the door. We kinda saw this on 9/11 with the Jet the brave passengers forced into the dirt in PA.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2015, 12:04:47 PM »
No, I don't think it would be different. I'm not going to discuss openly the FAMs or their operation but an FFDO is enough.  Someone jumpseating all the time who is supposed to shoot you if you do something weird?  What do they know about what's weird or not? 

Bad idea not withstanding where are you going to find them?  You're not able to staff every single flight.

There's a certain irony that these doors are meant to keep bad guys out of the cockpit.  No thought given to what happens if they are in the cockpit already.

How about a third pilot working for the airlines.  You honestly believe that flight would not have ended differently with a third person on that flight deck?  There would have been a ton of guys that could have continued to fly had forced retirement not been 60 years of age.   

Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2015, 12:27:31 PM »
If thats true then unfortunately, the door safety system failed here. Something will change in the future for sure.
Its beyound me that nobody from the engineering team imagined/trained for such an extreme case.
The captains leave the cockpit and have absolutely no chance to enter it again? (not in 8min.)
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2015, 12:42:55 PM »
If thats true then unfortunately, the door safety system failed here. Something will change in the future for sure.
Its beyound me that nobody from the engineering team imagined/trained for such an extreme case.
The captains leave the cockpit and have absolutely no chance to enter it again? (not in 8min.)

From the news coverage: I understand that US regulations require 2 crew members in the cockpit at all times, European regulations no. The captain on the outside entered some kind of combination to open the door but was over ridden by the man in the cockpit, (some kind of time out delay.)

Every addition to a complex system brings with it new failure modes. It can be hard to anticipate what those will be and evaluating their probability is fraught.
Pies not kicks.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2015, 01:59:05 PM »

We were talking about a 130lb girl.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2015, 02:00:08 PM »
Came here to see what you all thought about this. So far I've gathered that the pilot may have deliberately crashed the plane on purpose. He adjusted the course to 100 feet from 32K, then overrides the door lock so the captain cannot enter. Pilot only had about 625 hours of flying time -seems low for international flight but I don't know the regulations. There was no intention of this being a terrorist attack or any such thing. Pilot was quiet for 8 minutes as plane descended, while captain was beating on the door. IMO it was a mass murder/suicide.

Scaryyy scarryy tradgedy here. :(

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2015, 02:17:22 PM »
How about a third pilot working for the airlines.  You honestly believe that flight would not have ended differently with a third person on that flight deck?  There would have been a ton of guys that could have continued to fly had forced retirement not been 60 years of age.

I honestly believe that individual would have been successful in crashing the airplane if they really wanted to even with a third individual on that flight deck.  It would've been in the ground or in water eventually regardless of jumpseat occupation.

Airlines can't fully staff their schedules now with 2 pilot crews. Where are they going to find a third?

Bunch of old guys with guns on jump seats isn't the answer to any problem I can think of.