Author Topic: track ir help x55 rhino  (Read 771 times)

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
track ir help x55 rhino
« on: March 20, 2015, 01:53:28 PM »
 wow was i dizzy last night. first time using the track ir was like WOW where am i. could sure use some tips with this new toy. also any helpful setups for the x55 hotas
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: track ir help x55 rhino
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 02:05:39 PM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,351335.msg4826411.html#msg4826411
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,358259.msg4749935.html#msg4749935

Is likely a good starting spot.  Lots of good information in those threads.  Fugi's grand collection of profiles would likely help quite a bit.

As I'll say to anyone who's getting going on TIR, spend the time tweaking it.  It is the single most personal setting you can have in this game IMO.  Even moreso than joystick mappings.  I spent about 2 weeks when I first got mine messing with things until it was where I want it.

Get it running so it's natural for you, nobody else can tell you exactly what's right for you, though they can generally get you in the ballpark, with aggressive versus shallow setups.  Try some of the different profiles and tweak as needed.

Don't know much about the Rhino other than it's likely to be my next stick.  Good luck!

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 02:16:33 PM »
What Wiley said.  +1   

I've owned TrackIR technology for a long time but never really wrung it out until I studied those threads.

The vertigo thing will go away over time.  Especially as you tune your TrackIR to your own body movements.

My X-55 is almost a year old.  Setup's for this are also highly personal.   Go here https://www.youtube.com/user/frooglesim and search for programming tips for the X-55.  This video will de-mystify some things for you.

Enjoy!

:salute
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 02:21:48 PM by Ratsy »
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 02:29:14 PM »
As I'll say to anyone who's getting going on TIR, spend the time tweaking it.  It is the single most personal setting you can have in this game IMO.  Even moreso than joystick mappings.  I spent about 2 weeks when I first got mine messing with things until it was where I want it.

+2

I'm still getting used to TrackIR and I've been using it nearly a year now.  I still find I'm faster/more precise/etc with the thumb hat, it's been a real trial trying to wean myself off of the "old" way, but it IS slowly coming.  I flick TrackIR into pause mode when I get into fights still, but I've found myself doing it less and less in fights at certain times, and find at times it gives a big advantage in seeing "up" through the canopy at a plane I'm fighting when the canopy bar through the center/top of the canopy in many planes is blocking the enemy plane from sight using the "thumb" way.

Due to the fast paced nature of close range fights in Aces High, this is the nature of the beast for Track for me - stuff like Falcon BMS, DCS sims, and other such games, it isn't quite so tough to use TrackIR for me.

Skyyr has really good advice on using TrackIR, I'm not sure where it's posted, but his settings and method is the best I've found so far, although Mace2004 had a great starting place for players new to head tracking too.  Skyyr's is a lot more of an advanced method.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 02:35:04 PM »
Set a button to recenter TIR. Use recenter to relieve strain not just to recenter. For example look down and recenter to track a high rear bandit then recenter to normal for forward view.

Set enough deadband in TIR so you don't have to hold your head still. Set enough scaling so you don't have to turn your head too much to look back.

Practice flying with it before you fight with it. Keep your normal hat views so your habitual reflexes don't screw you up. When using hat views TIR just moves your head position.

Fly aerobatics over a field while watching the radar tower. Remember the horizon is your main out-of-cockpit flight gauge.

When programming a new stick only program what you need to start and only what you use all the time to make sure the important commands are convenient and comfortable.The exception is your hat views, keep them set up where you're used to them for now.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 02:45:59 PM »
+2

I'm still getting used to TrackIR and I've been using it nearly a year now.  I still find I'm faster/more precise/etc with the thumb hat, it's been a real trial trying to wean myself off of the "old" way, but it IS slowly coming.  I flick TrackIR into pause mode when I get into fights still, but I've found myself doing it less and less in fights at certain times, and find at times it gives a big advantage in seeing "up" through the canopy at a plane I'm fighting when the canopy bar through the center/top of the canopy in many planes is blocking the enemy plane from sight using the "thumb" way.

I've been using mine for years and realized about a month ago there was something that had been bugging me a bit and tweaked it out.  I'll likely tweak it further.

Maybe it was the stage of SA and development I was at when I got it, I'd only been flight simming for about 6 months with hat views, but I took to it completely.  When I got it I went from being able to track where a couple of cons are, to being able to track where they are and what they're doing.  YMMV.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 01:47:26 PM »
well thank you for all the help. i have decided to put the track ir on hold for a few days till i get the x55 up to par. it was a bit overwhelming trying to use both when i was use to just a 3d pro. i can say the difference in the stick is remarkable. no more shaky rudder, smooth turns, no more wobbling around the sky trying to line up a shot. before on a good night i may get 2 kills ,well i managed 6 last night being outnumbered all night. i found myself becoming a drill bit again so it will be time for the TA again to work out the kinks.  :salute
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc