Author Topic: Dealing with spits  (Read 598 times)

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
Dealing with spits
« on: March 28, 2015, 04:26:40 PM »
My real weak area. I tend to fly K4's,Spit 14's, 190D's, Ta-152, P-47, stuff that will out run a Spit, but not maneuver with them effectively.

My real problem is that I tend to develop tunnel vision, and let one latch onto my 6, where I lack the skills to shake him. In the P-47 and D9, I just dive away and go off to reset position, but the others require a more cautious dive out that usually let's them keep up with me.

I'm working on the tunnel vision, but I also want to have the skills and tactics needed to fight them in my repertoire. Anything I can do, or am I pretty boned if I let one latch onto me?
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dealing with spits
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 10:26:07 PM »
Pretty much all of those will outrun the Spits, which aside for the XIV aren't known for their speed. You definitely want to get some distance, while the K4 can take the fight vertical. The 190 has a killer rate of roll, so you might be able to take them in a rolling scissors.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 05:21:43 PM »
 First you would have been better served to have posted this in help and training,that said it sounds to me like you need a course of BFM and understanding of the energy egg principle.

Spits hold their E well so you can use that against them and as Saxman alluded to,spits dont roll well so you can also use your roll rate to get the enemy out of plane and force a scissor fight.  The 1 exception,there's always an exception.... :devil  The spit 16 has a great roll rate so you may want to work on forcing an overshoot rather than trying to outroll the 16.

YMMV.

:salute

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 05:26:50 PM »
First you would have been better served to have posted this in help and training,that said it sounds to me like you need a course of BFM and understanding of the energy egg principle.

Spits hold their E well so you can use that against them and as Saxman alluded to,spits dont roll well so you can also use your roll rate to get the enemy out of plane and force a scissor fight.  The 1 exception,there's always an exception.... :devil  The spit 16 has a great roll rate so you may want to work on forcing an overshoot rather than trying to outroll the 16.

YMMV.

:salute
What Morf said.  Learn the BFM and get energy management figured out.  Too many try to learn, or teach without any knowledge or expertise in either of the above.  Track Morf down and pick his brain.  An exceptional teacher and source of the right stuff.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 06:58:06 PM »
Generally, spits (especially Spit16s) do very well in the 180-250 IAS speed range. They don't transition from high-low speed as well as most of the planeset and that is the biggest weakness of the Spitfires.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!