Author Topic: National Lineman Appreciation Day  (Read 396 times)

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
National Lineman Appreciation Day
« on: March 31, 2015, 08:11:59 AM »
March 31st, just another day to many of us, but take a moment and Thank any line worker you may know. The job isnt always in bad weather, nor is it always something dangerous. But it is always necessary.

Katrina
Rita
Jeanne
Ike
Charles
Hugo
Andrew

Ive known all of the above intimately, many others went unnamed. When the lights go out Im not flying high, Im pole dancing.......

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
Re: National Lineman Appreciation Day
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 08:23:52 AM »
 :salute

I get a little taste, being a telephone man. But I'll let you take care of those high strands. ;)

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 09:55:31 AM »
I appreciate you's guys.. no seriously we appreciate it, thankless, dangerous, horrifying job if you ask me.. we depend on you! Here here!!
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 11:26:44 AM »
March 31st, just another day to many of us, but take a moment and Thank any line worker you may know. The job isnt always in bad weather, nor is it always something dangerous. But it is always necessary.

Katrina
Rita
Jeanne
Ike
Charles
Hugo
Andrew

Ive known all of the above intimately, many others went unnamed. When the lights go out Im not flying high, Im pole dancing.......
:airplane: Yes, a lineman's job is very important and it is necessary for the pilot to make sure they are putting the right fuel in the aircraft. Below is a link to a Martin 404 accident in 1970 in Atlanta, where the line boys put JP-4 fuel in instead 100/130. The captain did a heck of job landing on I-285 and sliding up a exit ramp, but there was still some deaths, don't remember how many

http://www3.gendisasters.com/georgia/11910/atlanta-ga-chartered-plane-crashes-may-1970
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:31:14 AM »
The center is the most important lineman, he hikes the ball!   OOOOOOOOOOH! The OTHER kind of lineman, lol. =S= to those who work to keep us playing, and warm.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 11:43:51 AM »
Earl,
 You and I have very different definitions for the title lineman.......

Offline noman

• Copper Member
      • http://yahoo.com
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 11:47:18 AM »
 :salute to you guys I went thru Rita and Ike both times had power back in 10 days. Thanks for all that you guys do.
Quote by Delirium:
Frankly, I'd rather be a fluffer at a gay porcupine film company than be a CM.
God bless the CMs for putting up with this community.
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 12:04:09 PM »
Plus they can be called out to some awfully bad neighborhoods where the metal in those cables are like Gold to junkies and assorted slime. We've had stick ups for the bulk copper wiring. We've had storms that have downed so many lines we've had to spend days sitting on them to keep people away even tho these guys arent even getting any days off and work triple shifts. Electric lines down are a real dangerous situation. Most of all with kids walking to school.

Fire and electricity scare me. I wouldnt want to do that job. :salute
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 12:30:50 PM »
Fire and electricity scare me.

:D

:bolt:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 12:48:53 PM »
Earl,
 You and I have very different definitions for the title lineman.......
:bhead OK, I stand corrected, thought you were refereeing to the guys and gals that refuel aircraft on the ramps at general aviation fixed base operators.
I wouldn't' want to be a line man either, those that have to "hook" poles that are 30 years old and dried out and hard as a rock. I used to have a bother in law who was a telephone man for 38 years, he had some wild stories to tell about high winds and climbing.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 10:05:20 PM »
I went into one once to try and save a 6yo girl trapped upstairs in a project row house After I saw her Mom jump thru a plate glass window getting out as we drove by. Crawled on my hands and knees to the stairwell and was surrounded by the flames. I knew if I went any further I was dead. I never got to the girl, she was found dead hiding underneath her bed. I was in the Hospital for two days for smoke inhalation and occasionally have dreams about it.

Yes, fires scare me. You have a little girl dont you Lusche? Could you imagine abandoning her to something so terrible you'd throw yourself thru a picture window and be forced to let her cook?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"