Author Topic: Stolen Valor  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
Re: Stolen Valor
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2015, 05:51:26 PM »
I don't know why he felt it was necessary to send me a PM telling me he was an A-10 "Pig" pilot with an ANG squadron, other than he was trying to score "cool points" with me and thought I'd be awed and wouldn't question his awesomeness.

Hey, if I PM you telling you I'm a middle-aged shlub from Jersey with 3 kids and a mortgage, and a pick up truck with a valve tap, what kind of cool points could I score?
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2015, 05:52:30 PM »
Hey, if I PM you telling you I'm a middle-aged shlub from Jersey with 3 kids and a mortgage, and a pick up truck with a valve tap, what kind of cool points could I score?

Can you qualify that?

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2015, 05:55:33 PM »
Can you qualify that?

Probably the only thing I couldn't prove over the internet is the shlub part.  We'd have to meet in person for that.
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2015, 09:26:43 PM »
By all means call him out. It's disgraceful that someone
would use the Uniform/status to attempt to obtain benefits
or recognition unearned.

Also, in reference to the US Military & Politics.

Military Personnel are sent where the Commander- In - Chief says to go,
regardless of personal beliefs.

:cheers: Oz
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:42:29 PM by ozrocker »
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2015, 09:44:08 PM »
I say call them out. Always. To quote Scrubs, people are b*****d coated b*****ds with b*****d filling. They will keep pushing and lieing and manipulating until they are confronted.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2015, 10:26:15 PM »

A lot more points than someone pretending to be an A-10 "PIG" pilot.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2015, 10:26:52 PM »
A lot more points than someone pretending to be an A-10 "PIG" pilot.

Does anyone actually call it that? I've NEVER heard that term for the 10 before...

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2015, 11:40:30 PM »
Does anyone actually call it that? I've NEVER heard that term for the 10 before...

The only name I've ever heard it called is "WartHog".  I don't recall it ever being called a "Pig".  If you do a google search for "WartHog" you get a lot of information about the A10 aircraft, you do a google search on Pig and you learn a lot about Pigs, as in this little piggy.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:43:42 PM by Traveler »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2015, 06:49:09 PM »
Would the community be better off if they were made aware that a member claimed to be off doing charity work (for roughly 6 plus months) when they were actually not?  Does that not take away from those that truly do good work?
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2015, 07:09:02 PM »
I did community work for a couple of years.  scariest thing was going looking for vets who needed help and were homeless.  some where really sick and it was really hard not to feel anything.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2015, 07:25:56 PM »
Would the community be better off if they were made aware that a member claimed to be off doing charity work (for roughly 6 plus months) when they were actually not?  Does that not take away from those that truly do good work?

It's like saying an online community is different from a face to face community when it comes to a pathological liar amongst them. It's not unheard of for a 'harmless' lie to eventually lead to harmful ones (perhaps more-so online). Lets take your example:

A player comes back to the game after six months. Other players recognize him and ask what he's been up to.

"I've been helping the earthquake victims of Blandistan."

"Wow, dude! You're a good soul!"

"Shucks, weren't nuthin'."

A couple of weeks later someone asks him about his volunteer work and if he'll be going back.

"Well, I'm still involved. I've still got contacts and we're trying to round up more supplies. I don't have the personal funds to go back just yet."

"Oh, I wish I could go. Work and family prevents me. Is there a source where I could donate so you can go back?"

Oddly enough, a week later there is. A website where you can donate to send whats-his-face back to Blandistan.

When it blows up and is revealed for what it is, you bet it harmed legit charities. First, the money given can't be 're-given.' Secondly, it undermines anything legitimate.

Now, lies don't always lead to such. But lies, themselves, are insulting once the truth is out. And a really bad lie? Well, may everyone be sharp enough to see it for what it is.

Nobody should be given a free pass on lies, stupid or otherwise. And any such lie is doubly stupid amongst a group of intelligent skeptics.

So if you're attempting to defend liars in the community, that's being a 'Devil's Advocate' that's not worth your time (or ours).

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2015, 08:50:31 PM »
It's like saying an online community is different from a face to face community when it comes to a pathological liar amongst them. It's not unheard of for a 'harmless' lie to eventually lead to harmful ones (perhaps more-so online). Lets take your example:

A player comes back to the game after six months. Other players recognize him and ask what he's been up to.

"I've been helping the earthquake victims of Blandistan."

"Wow, dude! You're a good soul!"

"Shucks, weren't nuthin'."

A couple of weeks later someone asks him about his volunteer work and if he'll be going back.

"Well, I'm still involved. I've still got contacts and we're trying to round up more supplies. I don't have the personal funds to go back just yet."

"Oh, I wish I could go. Work and family prevents me. Is there a source where I could donate so you can go back?"

Oddly enough, a week later there is. A website where you can donate to send whats-his-face back to Blandistan.

When it blows up and is revealed for what it is, you bet it harmed legit charities. First, the money given can't be 're-given.' Secondly, it undermines anything legitimate.

Now, lies don't always lead to such. But lies, themselves, are insulting once the truth is out. And a really bad lie? Well, may everyone be sharp enough to see it for what it is.

Nobody should be given a free pass on lies, stupid or otherwise. And any such lie is doubly stupid amongst a group of intelligent skeptics.

So if you're attempting to defend liars in the community, that's being a 'Devil's Advocate' that's not worth your time (or ours).

Hit the nail on the head. Let the lie slide and more will come.

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2015, 04:22:15 PM »
Its sad but its not a simple as yes or no for me.  Lawn is probably referring to a kid (ok, legally an adult but..) and kids do dumb stuff.  Sometimes suffering the consequences of those dumb things is how we learn and mature.  Sometimes if the consequence is a big one, that kid gets derailed for a long time, maybe forever.

I would be less concerned about getting a pound of flesh and more interested in him stopping it and learning a lesson from it that eventually helps him get on track.  From what I have seen, if it is what it appears to be, the real world harm he has done isn't worth the real world consequences he could face.  He needs to be called on it, but for a kid that already has issues, a full exposing could be a life changer.

I suggest proceeding with care while handling stuff that once done, cannot be undone.  People can change and I try not to judge people based on their worst moments. 
AMAX  in game

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2015, 05:31:51 PM »
Everyone knows I flew the F-15E but I wasn't authorized to say I was also associated with specwarcomfleetpac and was known as special agent cheetah spot.  I've been working on a computer game that incorporates all this cool experiences but I recently retired and my insurance hasn't switched over (thanks VA!) and so I had to pay a few post-op visits after my back surgery out of pocket.  That's put me in debt so I can't continue working on the game until I get it sorted out.  Kickstarter won't allow games based on real world military experience, but I just can't work until I replace my computer which was fried from a power surge.  I figure just $25,000 would let me rebuild the computer and pay the rent for a couple of months until I get my insurance sorted out.  I'll guarantee the loans (I want a loan not a handout thanks!) by offering one share of the holding company managing the game development for every $100 loan I get.  When we ship, go public, or get bought out, I'll redeem each share for $150.

Sounds so reasonable, why not eh?  So easy to mix a little truth in with the lie and make the "loan" sound legit.  All I need is 2-3 shades account and one real sucker who doesn't know I'm lying to vouch for me, and voila I'm in business.

Its happened before.  "Voss" suckered people out of about $25,000 grand before Robey Price outed him, and some kid managed to sucker about 6 USAF officers in a real-world F-15E squadron into revealing various tidbits of detail to make his pretend online persona sound real.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.