Author Topic: Strategic Positions  (Read 398 times)

Offline Alucard_II

• Zinc Member
Strategic Positions
« on: April 04, 2015, 03:05:49 PM »
Allie has another idea  :t

This has been a big idea of mine for some time now. So here it is...

Currently in AH, pretty much the only thing we can capture is fields. While fields can be a challenge on their own to capture sometimes. Theres a few more things I'd love to see put into AH, just to add that little extra bit of realism and challenge to the game.

Recon bases
Sometimes, we get really large maps that are just so huge, anything can sneak attack any base and put the team being attacked on overdrive, causing panic.
This just doesn't really happen irl. In WW2, there just wasnt lone bases, with a lone radar pinging around, looking for stuff. And if that radar goes out, your screwed. There were recon bases (as I call them), which were solely devoted to helping detect hostile aircraft, and relaying their positions and intents to the nearby military bases so they could prepare for an attack. This gave airmen time to up fighters to defend their bases. Rather than being shot to hell on the runway.

To even out this defense, I'd want these recon bases to be capture-able. So even if the enemy takes the airfield/GV base, they still have to take the nearby recon base, so they can make another move without being detected and given away.
On the other hand, the enemy could capture the recon base BEFORE taking the airfield, so there is no telling where they are coming from or where they are going.

Ack Bases/Emplacements
Perhaps near or maybe on their own out there in AH land, would be Ack bases. Places that are solely designed to thin out enemy aircraft if an attack is happening. While the field ack can get the job done sometimes. The enemy usually shows up in full force, and immediately deacks fields and towns before they can do anything.

To help defend nearby fields. Maybe a few miles out, there would be a small camp of AA guns, and maybe some anti tank guns if needed. The AA guns would automatically fire on any hostile aircraft that passes over the camp. Which might be able to get a bomber or two before they lay waste to a field. This could be a game changer. Instead of a swarm of 20 B-17s just carpet bombing a field out of nowhere. And no one was aware of their approach, so no fighters upped. The small AA camps outside of base, could help thin out the pack of 17s.

Im expecting a lot of holes in my wish, as I havent really given it a lot of thought. Or if u want to add anything, just post an idea below.
Happily confused and Insane.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
Re: Strategic Positions
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 05:59:52 PM »
Im expecting a lot of holes in my wish, as I havent really given it a lot of thought. Or if u want to add anything, just post an idea below.

Hey hey! He's catching on...
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 08:25:19 PM »
I really loved the semi-random acks found in warbirds terrains.

It would be cool if we could have them such that you could man them.

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
Even though I am a major buff enthusiast, I think attacking strategic factories/HQ should be like breaking through the Gates of Hades. While I regard AAA as a point defense and don't believe it should be considered a substitute for air intercept operations, I still think it should be developed and encouraged. I don't consider a AAA gunner to be necessarily one who "avoids combat", but one who applies another tool to aid in defense of a country's resources. With that, I would much prefer to engage against player controlled flak-batteries based on skill and technique rather than AI ones based on random code. If we must stick with auto-puffy ack at these strat onjects, I'd like to see it deployed at all strat factories and not just the large city/HQ areas. I also think the concentration of ack should be dependent on the size of the attacking force (i.e., whether the enemy is a single plane or a large group of bombers, every gun in the vicinity will be firing at it - so there will be a dense convergence of ack on a single plane but a far less dense ack barrage at a broad/scattered formation. I think AAA should enhanced to help fight against NOE and short-range strat raids where detection does not leave enough time to intercept properly.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG