Author Topic: P-38 questions  (Read 268 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
P-38 questions
« on: June 25, 2000, 11:13:00 AM »
High speed dives in AH the aileron lock up
is this accurate?
I mean those hydraulic ailerons are friggin massive they should easily extend beyond the boundary of the low pressure zone created by compression shouldnt they?

#2 Dive flaps very ineffective
is this accurate?

#3 compression is either full or none no in between and nose tuck can be overcome with trim.
is this correct?

#4 dive flaps do not pop the nose up 10 degrees. they dont move the nose up at all.
is this accurate?

#5 vertical zoom ability is not good
is this correct?

#6 acceleration in dive is incredibly slow in 1.03 for a 21,000lb hunk of metal
is this intentional?

#7 stalls are violent in the p-38 with massive wing drop and control is difficult to regain
is this intentional?

throw me a bone here.

---------------
"You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with friggin laserbeams attached to their heads."

Citabria
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
P-38 questions
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2000, 11:36:00 AM »
Regarding #3 compression: Yups, same on the P-47...either on or off. No inbetween stages at all.
Stalls in the P-38 are extremly weird. Sometimes, even after sufficient airspeed has been gained, it's still stalling.

Daff

------------------
CO, 56th Fighter Group
"This is Yardstick. Follow me"

Offline wells

• Copper Member
P-38 questions
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2000, 11:41:00 AM »

High speed dives in AH the aileron lock up
          is this accurate?
          I mean those hydraulic ailerons are friggin massive they should easily
          extend beyond the boundary of the low pressure zone created by
          compression shouldnt they?

They should move, but be ineffective.  I think you'd be surprised at the size of the hole a shockwave makes.

#2 Dive flaps very ineffective
          is this accurate?

Probably not.  Dive flaps caused something like a 4G automatic recovery, I think.

#3 compression is either full or none no in between and nose tuck can be
          overcome with trim.
          is this correct?

That would be correct if it were a stick force problem.  But if the elevator is in a vaccuum (full blown compression), the stick forces would be extremely light but the elevator would have no air to work with, kinda like sitting on the ground, not moving.  If the trim works, why have dive flaps?

Offline tshred

• Copper Member
P-38 questions
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2000, 02:09:00 AM »
I agree with Cit on #5 & #6. I was worried how prop drag affected the zoom ability and acceleration of every plane in AH, let alone my precious P38   I am curious if HTC bumped up anything to compensate for the prop drag to maintain the current FM performance, or did they just add it to the FM's without any tweaking?

I'm slowly adjusting to the 'new' 38 and finding I need more separation before reversing, more alt before engaging and running away a lot more! But I'm still getting kills if I'm carefull   so it ain't all bad!

Still, would like to know HiTech and Pyro, did you just add the prop drag, or did you adjust individual planes to keep the same level of overall performance while including prop drag in the equation?

ts