Author Topic: Worst beer of the year award  (Read 880 times)

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
Re: Worst beer of the year award
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 02:53:33 PM »
Old Milwaukee gets my vote for worst beer.

Yep we call it Old Mud.

I would rather not have a beer, than drink a Budweiser.......used dishwater tastes better I'm sure
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 04:23:43 PM »
As far as cheap mass produced american "malt beverage" goes, I think Heidelberg was the best. Is it even made anymore? It was my first beer I must've been about twelve and it tasted damn good in the shade of a willow tree after working in the hay field all day. Anyway, Heidelberg gets my vote for best of the worst.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 04:33:31 PM »
I routinely drink cheap beer but at least it tastes good, miller high life, busch, etc.. you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for a decent beer
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 04:55:05 PM »
You should switch to beer that's not made from corn. Once you know what beer is supposed to taste like you'll never go back to urine beers. Cost shouldn't dictate what beer you drink unless you're the six pack a day alcoholic type. I'm with mbailey, drinking no beer is better than drinking crap beer. If the store doesn't have anything decent, I go to a different store or I go home without beer.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 05:15:12 PM »
I have to agree with you it being bad ... but if you like the taste of pine needles and a hint of foot odor... try grolsh beer...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grolsch_Brewery

LawnDart
Although there are pine and spruce ales, the pine resin taste you detected is called hops, it's what lagers are supposed to taste like because it's what lagers are supposed to be made of. Its unfortunate but unsurprising that many american beer drinkers don't recognize beer ingredients when they taste them. The skunk taste happens often with lagers in transparent bottles because they are often stored improperly under lights. Which is why we find more places with beer coolers that have no lights as america becomes more beer literate.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 05:21:27 PM by FLOOB »

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 05:27:43 PM »
Well all i have to say is I hope all you have a Happy Easter, even if you drink PBR, but just a heads up..
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 08:38:18 PM »
Also don't forget we are in the age of the beer snob. One had to once go to Europe and talk wine to hear such snobbery. Now you just wax beer poetic to the neighbors in there backyards.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 08:11:36 AM »
Not sure I know how to talk beer snob, but as I've grown older and my cash flow got better I've been turning to micro-brews and better beer.

Don't get me wrong, if I'm at a picnic and the traditional American beers are on tap, I'll drink it......as long as it's not Budweiser.  I actually really like Rolling Rock and Busch as long as its ice cold......when I'm up in Long Island for meetings at work, I always bring home 3 or 4 cases of Brooklyn Lager.....love the stuff

Oh, and my summer Coronas......and Winter Guinness ( actually Guinness year round  LOL)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:15:53 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 08:45:31 AM »
Worst beer of the year award goes to Pabst blue ribbon,  that stuff just sux...  a blueberrry aftertaste combined with beer has got to be the stupidest idea yet

I used to like Pabst as a teen then it went away and have only recently started seeing it again in the last few years.
I has a blueberry taste now? It didnt used to.
Oh well. Glad I dont drink much as it seems Im not missing much
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 08:57:27 AM »
Years ago it was one of the best cheap Beers around. We used to visit the PBR brewery in Milwaukee and who can forget the ice cold PBRs at the WI. state fair to go along with the roasted corn and Brats? Most of these brands have been sold off to competitors who brew crap just for the market share. I mostly drink micro's now, the exception being Schlitz which went back to its original formula.

Thats what they do. They buy the name brand and then brew the hell out of it cutting the fermentation times for more profit. The only real market for PBR now is trailer parks where the residents need to wash down their meth.
Must be it because I remember both Pabst and Grolsh being pretty decent tasting.

Worst beer Ive ever had has to be Blatz. Man that stuff was disgusting. Next in line would be Bud and Miller which is still light years better then Blatz. But I'd still rather drink water or go thirsty then drink Bud or Miller. And the "light" or flavored versions arent any better. My wife likes Bud light lime. Blech!

See my problem is I've been drinking beer since I was a small child. And I mean like 6 years old small. My father was getting Germania region imports back in the 60's from I have no idea who or where. But I was always allowed to have a small glass.(or more if he wanted me to go to sleep early LOL) So I know what real beer is supposed to taste like. Most American brewers, even micro brewers beer doesnt taste like real beer. And all these light beers taste like seltzer slightly flavored by pee. Just gross
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 09:00:15 AM »
I routinely drink cheap beer but at least it tastes good, miller high life, busch, etc.. you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for a decent beer

Someone must have taken a blow torch to your tastebuds when you were a small child
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2015, 09:13:21 AM »
Although there are pine and spruce ales, the pine resin taste you detected is called hops, it's what lagers are supposed to taste like because it's what lagers are supposed to be made of. Its unfortunate but unsurprising that many american beer drinkers don't recognize beer ingredients when they taste them. The skunk taste happens often with lagers in transparent bottles because they are often stored improperly under lights. Which is why we find more places with beer coolers that have no lights as america becomes more beer literate.

Also the served temperature of some beers have a lot to do with taste. Many dark beers need to be served at either room temperature or only slightly chilled. Cold they taste horridly bitter

Some years ago I went to visit my sister and she tells me that she didnt know someone named a beer after me. Im like. what the hell are you talking about. So she disappears into the kitchen, returns, and hands me a bottle of "Arrogant Bastard Ale"

So I open this ice cold bottle and take a swig. Bitter. TERRIBLE bitter. The hops is just too overpowering
Long story short I let it sit a while. and the warmer it got the better it tasted. very slightly chilled its a fantastic beer.

Beer Serving Temperature As a general practice, darker ales, like red wines, are best served within a cool to warm range, or approximately 45F to 61F. Pale Ales are best served at or below approximately 54F. Dark Lagers generally perform best in the cold to slightly warm range, or approximately 39F to 57F. Pale Lagers and Wheat Beers, like white wines, are usually recommended to be served in the cold to cool range, or approximately 39F to 54F.

Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2015, 09:53:17 AM »
I'm having a hard time remembering a "worst" beer.  There are certainly beers that I didn't like, usually because they were skunk.  PBR isn't bad, imho.  I don't go out and buy it, but I'll drink one or two if it's being offered.  I suppose you could call me a Long Trail Limbo type of beer drinker.  I don't deviate too far afield from the ales.  One thing I don't like is malt.  I don't enjoy malty beers.  Olde Enginlish 800 is pretty gross imho.
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2015, 10:27:38 AM »
I'm really gonna miss the bier when I eventually come home. I like the beir from southern Germany better than the rest of the country, but there are a few exceptions.  My favorites are from Bamberg. 

http://www.faessla.de/biere/gold-pils/
Fässla gold pils
Fässla
[/size]
[/size][size=78%][/size]Bambergator[size=78%][/size]
[size=78%]
[/size][size=78%][/size]
[size=78%]
[/size][size=78%][/size]Keesman Bräuereir[size=78%][/size]
[size=78%]

[/size][size=78%][/size]
[size=78%]
[/size][size=78%][/size]
[size=78%]
[/size][size=78%][/size]Schlenkerla Rauchbier[size=78%][/size]
[size=78%]

[/size][size=78%][/size]
[size=78%]
[/size][size=78%][/size]Mahr's Bräu Kellerbier[size=78%][/size]
[size=78%]

Note the chandelier made from hops!
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2015, 12:00:38 PM »
When I was in San Antonio I discovered a beer lover's refuge called Hills & Dales Ice House. But you wouldn't know it by the exterior. Just goes to show, don't judge a book by the cover.

What it looks like inside.

Too many taps to count. Don't think the photographer even fit them all in the photo.

When you end your tour there here's a place that can help ease your transition Ammo  :cheers: