Author Topic: Stupid things you did or fell for when you were new  (Read 3199 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Stupid things you did or fell for when you were new
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2015, 04:27:40 AM »
I once joined bish when I was new. Can it get any worse than that?  :devil
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2015, 10:24:47 PM »
when I was new... I would take off, and slowly gain speed and then hear this horrible creaking sound and then finally a snap... then I always blew up trying to land... I later found out that I was ripping my gear off after take off because I didn't know how to retract them...  :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Spyro of Warfang

• Zinc Member
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2015, 10:40:51 PM »
I once joined bish when I was new. Can it get any worse than that?  :devil
Nah, it can. Have you tried spawning while your runway's being strafed? I can vouch for that being one very good reason why you should always head to a closer base when there's vulching goin' down.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2015, 12:46:17 PM »
I remember the first time I drove a GV to town and started laying fire on the buildings.  The old view system was in place, and I didn't know about the zoom feature.  Apparently I had cycled through the ammo options, and was laying smoke all over town.  I had no idea since I wasn't zoomed, until someone started howling about me smoking them out.  I have to say, they weren't nice about it at all (pretty standard response around here it seems).  I didn't say anything I just  :bolt:
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2015, 12:55:13 PM »
People would say "dont fire until you are 300 out".  Heck I could never get within 1k of them when I started!

Also, I thought the LA was a terrible plane because it did not have as many rounds of ammo as say a P-47.  In those early days I'd start firing at 1k as that was "close range" for me.  More ammo meant a better chance.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:07:27 PM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2015, 01:20:32 PM »
People would say "dont fire until you are 300 out".  Heck I could never get within 1k of them when I started!

Also, I thought the LA was a terrible plane because it did not have as many rounds of ammo as say a P-47.  In those early days I'd start firing at 1k as that was "close range" for me.  More ammo meant a better chance.

I still play like that. Press trigger, close eyes, hope for the best.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »
bringing supps to a town instead of troops.  and my most famous was getting up in bombers and falling asleep on autopilot waking up hours later and wondering where i was (off the map ) so i bail
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2015, 01:47:14 PM »
bringing supps to a town instead of troops.  and my most famous was getting up in bombers and falling asleep on autopilot waking up hours later and wondering where i was (off the map ) so i bail

Remingt or whatever was so excited about just having enough perks to get B-29s, that he went to nap on autoclimb, he came back 2 hours later out of gas and crashed. I did the same with a 262 run once, went on autoclimb then forgot I was going to call my friend, when I came back my Me-262 was out of gas and pretty much so far off the map that I wasn't getting home.

/I switched to reading books on climb outs after that, until one day some silly person "winged" with me while on autoclimb, and he was an enemy. He got a good 3 minute video of it somewhere, I laughed, he laughed, I got shot down. LOL
JG 52

Offline Phoenix3107

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2015, 02:19:26 PM »
Using my two-week subscription early. :bhead
GameID:Phoenix

Also can be found under my DA name
"Lonewolf32097" at www.deviantart.com.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2015, 02:26:26 PM »
I started off in the H2H Arena lol. I didn't have any equipment to fly so I used my mouse. I never knew how to use rudders. I always went full speed. I did felt for the Alt f4 trick also lol. Slowly after things started to change when I met a squad called Honor guards and they told me a few tricks. There were more stupid things I did but i just can't remember them right now lol.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2015, 02:50:16 PM »
I still play like that. Press trigger, close eyes, hope for the best.

The old "spray and pray" tactic never fails  :D

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2015, 02:59:29 PM »
Diving into furballs blowing all my E and getting ganged .......... :bhead
Ludere Vincere

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2015, 03:02:20 PM »
But that's where the most fun is to be had!   :x

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2015, 01:49:35 PM »
I had no idea there was a zoom feature. I remember it still. I was sitting on a base with 4 or 5 other friendly tanks and they were shooting at the enemy tanks up on a hill waayyyy out there. i thought they were awesome for getting all those kills! I mean, I couldn't even see them! turns out all I had to do was press Z  :bhead
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2015, 02:25:13 PM »
I saw an easy P38 but get a field, so I upped my trust Spixteen. The 38 was Paws. He landed five or six beautifully executed ropes on me.
80th FS "Headhunters"