Author Topic: with the new pics of WBIII out...  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
with the new pics of WBIII out...
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2000, 02:46:00 PM »
Let's let the end user be the judge with his wallet and prevent this from becoming a flame fest as AGW has apparently became.

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2000, 08:09:00 PM »
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After a few long talks with DIVINE, and HOTSEAT, I've got a little better understanding of how this program is coming together. I must say that all the folks who keep asking about polygon count and fps are missing the point. With the new systems coming out and the programming that the Warbirds III engine is based on, those things are truly unimportant. They just don't matter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL. What a bull. Contact this person and ask him to add the model with 100000 poligons to his game. Will be funny to see it.

You can make the best algorithms, with the lowest level optimization, but you still can not get more 3d rendering power than your cpu, accelerator and memory lets you. Or prevents you, whatever.

Do not believe such a replics.

Well, back to the point I would like WBIII to be perfect game with perfect graphix and perfect gameplay. And also I want 10 other perfect fly syms. Competition is good, in russian there is a proverb, that people "vote by their legs". Also that makes all competitors to provide a best products in the shortest time.

Fariz

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2000, 10:53:00 PM »

I must say that all the folks who keep asking about polygon count and fps are missing the point. With the new systems coming out and the programming that the Warbirds III engine is based on, those things are truly unimportant. They just don't matter.

I'm sorry but I'm not buying it.  With vastly improved graphic comes a cost in processing power.  Wether that power comes from the cpu or the video processor is mute, the need for processing power is there.

From what I could tell the demo was only run on the machines from iEN.  While the specs didn't look all that high, (PIII 500s) I did notice that all the PCs had the new GForce video cards.  I'm not sure what the Macs were using but I'm sure it was something simular.  That kind of graphics at those resolutions are going to require those generation of video cards.  No your Viper 770 ain't gonna cut it.

With several hundred player's computers available not a single one was allowed to load the program and see how it performs on Joe Flight Sim's computer.  Or that iEN didn't show it on a PII 400 with a TNT2 so as to say "Look how good our engine is, even on a middle of the road graphics card performance is outstanding".  Well it's because it would have taken a significant performance hit.

Aces High has very good graphics, I won't say better or worse that WBIII because I didn't see WBIII personally.  However Aces High is starting to really strain my Viper 550 and Celron 300@450.  While for the most part my frame rates run 30-45, there are times when it drops well into the teens and lower.

I'm going to have to upgrade my system here soon WBIII or not.  If we want all the bells and whistles and eye candy, we're going to have to pay the piper.  For those of us that think we can continue to get along with 233 and 4 meg video cards are going to be very disapointed.  And those that tell us we will are well....lets just say good salesman  

Pyro, what was the minimum requirements for WB when it hit?  As I remember it was 486 with a math coprocessor.

Sharky

[This message has been edited by Sharky (edited 06-26-2000).]

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2000, 11:17:00 PM »
IEN... oh yeah them:

They were they people with the toejam servers and the internet connection that screwed my gameplay last year, and sat back and still took my $$$.

They were the people that did not respond to ANY of my emails about connectivity problems.

They are the people that are a subject of a complaint I made to my credit card company because they kept charging my account even after many emails requesting it be closed.

WB III Demo? good luck - I can't even be stuffed downloading it.

Pyro, Hitech, and the gang could have the crappy graphics and I'd still be here. These guys are actually interested in their customers. All IEN want is your credit card number.

-vlkn- in.

chisel

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2000, 12:44:00 AM »
No edog, it was directed at this whole thread.

I think I see denial in some of the posts or maybe its just optimisim on my part.
The way some AH guys view WB's is the way I view AH.... 'been there done that nothin new'

Sooo... some will get schmoosed some wont.

I was once enthralled with AH and frustrated by WB's. Cancelled my WB account, No problemo. Then 2 months later the dream ended. Some statments from the HTC design team left me cold, went back to WB's, and having a ton 'o' fun ever since. Aces wasnt the sim I was looking for. Too each his own  

I still check out every new release

Any post I make here will be in Jest  

--------------------------
HEY RIP, how come you keep finding your link to AGW, thought you were gonna lose that sucker?

.....Be more like ninja.  

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2000, 09:21:00 AM »
GentleMen You are more than welcome to discuss pros and con's on games. But be carfull with the IEN bashing please.

HiTech

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2000, 09:33:00 AM »
If you guys want answers to your questions just ask.

I was there, I saw, I played for many hours.

What do you want to know in detail?

WB III was there for the public to see, so ask away

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2000, 09:38:00 AM »
Brendo, will it have a guncam?

-Westy

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2000, 09:41:00 AM »
Chisel, don't know who Ninja is...you asked:
"HEY RIP, how come you keep finding your link to AGW, thought you were gonna lose that sucker?"

It started with an email, a WB friend sent me the thread to something over there...he thought I'd be interested in looking at the display of disparity over there...then I noticed that 1 of the 14 workstations I have here for beta testing still had it bookmarked...I cruise it occasionally when I need something to 'pick me up'...

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2000, 09:53:00 AM »
Brendo, Will WBs3 have:

A flat rate subscription fee?

A mission planner?

Option to turn tracers off?

Any new strat to speak of?

A direct line to the WBs servers?
(no ikernal stuff, dependable connect???)

A terrain editor?

Any useful CM options?

A design group that plays the game daily and communicates directly with the people online
on a daily basis.

These are just a few questions off the top of my head.  More later.

Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 06-27-2000).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2000, 10:02:00 AM »
WBIII Launches September 2000?

Where can I download a playable demo?

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum4/HTML/000311.html

Regards,
Badger

Looking for a different kind of environment to discuss your favorite on-line flight simulator?
 http://www.egroups.com/group/flightsimsonline

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2000, 10:09:00 AM »
Hi Brendo,

If you guys want answers to your questions just ask. I was there, I saw, I played for many hours.  What do you want to know in detail?  WB III was there for the public to see, so ask away.

Ok I'll bite.

1. How did it play on an "average computer" say with a voodoo II or TNT 2 chip, with say a 300 Mhz processor?

2. I saw that the 3D cockpits were only place holders, but did they have any functionality?  ie could views be customized, what view changing options were there, like panning, padlock, etc.

3. Other than the best job of modeling dirt I've ever seen it seemed that the demo stayed away from the traditional FPS killers like big fluffy clouds, smoke collums, big stands of trees etc.  Was there anything in the terrain that normally would spell disaster for FPS that the demo handled well?

4.  What kind of new features did the aircraft exibit?  ie The drop tanks we've been begging WB for, configurable ammo load outs.  What does WBIII do in this area that WBII doesn't other than moveable control surfaces?

5.  I understand that the flight models used were the exact same as what WBII is currently using.  As you're a big Hog fan, and they had the Corsair available in the demo, did it exibit the same flaws in the flight model as the current WB?

6.  Of what I saw of the demo, it seemed to have done nothing other than update graphics.  Now concedering the current WB graphics engine, thats a big step, but I guess I was hopeing for more.  Did I miss something?

Thanks for you time Brendo,
Sharky

edog

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2000, 11:17:00 AM »

Where can I download a playable demo?

Badger - I thought you were above posting what is an obvious troll, since you already know the answer to your question....

edog

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2000, 11:22:00 AM »
Edog, Editted, but link supplied with Edogs unappropiate witch hunt: http://agw.dogfighter.com/agw/Forum3/HTML/012735.html

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 06-27-2000).]

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2000, 11:23:00 AM »
Well...ok edog...<Salute>

You're right....as usual..  

But you have to wonder sometimes who's on the bridge.....I've seen no corrections anywhere to the article....so, maybe it's not a troll and we're going to get a product?

What you think?