Author Topic: Aircraft Magnetic Compass  (Read 490 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Aircraft Magnetic Compass
« on: April 19, 2015, 02:27:32 AM »
 :airplane: OK, you are a "on demand" contract pilot hired to deliever an old Beech "Baron", 660 miles from one point to another. The radios have been stolen from the aircraft, so you must navigate by "dead reckoning" to deliver the aircraft. All your standard flight instruments, of which one is a liquid filled compass, as required by the FAA on any aircraft of this type, are working and in good condition!
This flight will be conducted in the states of Texas through Oka, then into Iowa!
There are two factors which affect how we view and use the magnetic compass, the "deviation card" and magnetic variation along the flight path! (I know, you could carry a "hand held" GPS system, but not for this problem).
As you inspect the aircraft prior to takeoff and view the aircraft log books, you should note when the compass has been "swung" and by whom?_______________________
How often must the compass be "swung" on a compass "rose"?__________________
The fluid in the compass is MIL-DTL-5020D liquid. True or False?
You note that there is a compass deviation card just below the compass and it tells you that when flying a magnetic heading of 038 degrees, on this heading it says, +5 degrees East!!
You know from VFR charts the magnetic variation is 10 degrees West at your takeoff point.
There is two highly restricted area's located where your delivery airport is and they are separated by 28 miles, so your navigation has to be highly accurate!
You have a working directional gyo and taking off on runway 33, you note that it is really 332 degrees True, so you set your D.G. prior to takeoff after lining up on runway, to what heading?
What should your heading on your directional gyo be on your flight?
How often should you "reset" the D.G. to maintain a correct path along the ground?
If, during the flight you have to make some turns which exceed 45 degrees of bank, how long should you wait before you can once again rely on the magnetic compass for accurate information?
You know that the compass does not point at the True North pole, it points a magnetic North pole, located_____________ Southeast of the true North pole!
If you are successful and deliver the aircraft as planned, you receive a cash payment of $250.00 for a days work, you can now feed your family of five for another week during the sixties! True or false?
How do you get home?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:31:25 AM by earl1937 »
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
Re: Aircraft Magnetic Compass
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 03:04:46 PM »
"How do you get home?"

You don't. You spend a few days in a local bar drinking beer and chasing women until your wife comes to get you home driving car loaned from you father in law. The last dime you have is spent on gas on the way home and when it runs out you are still 50 miles from home and your wife says she wants a divorce. Now is she serious or "just pulling your leg"?

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 03:15:57 PM »
Salute Gents, This is how the AH Board should be, cant wait to read the follow up posts
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline shake307

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 12:06:26 AM »
Okay, I may be a bit rusty on this.  Once you swing the magnetic compass, the directional gyro is set.   I was an electrician on sh60s in the Navy and we did this annually.  Set magnetic compass to where you were located, geographically.  After that, you set the dgs to true north and you were good for another year.  If, according to what you posit, the compass swing is current, then all you have to do is fly at such and such heading for such and such time and you will be right on course.  Also, why in the hell are you flying an aircraft without proper communication?  Big no no and any aircraft I have ever worked on would be hard down for that.  Anyways, compass swing is far more involved and precise than I think most people realize.  I despised doing them.  Dead reckoning, at least to my knowledge, is only done as last resort mid flight.  It is a terrible way to navigate and is only relied upon when ALL OTHER NAVIGATION HAS FAILED.  At least to my training.  Also, are you flying VFR or IFR?  You better not be flying IFR if your equipment is faulty.  If VFR,  follow highways and landmarks.  Beech Baron isn't exactly an SR71.   Just fly low and follow the map, during daytime.  If you are a contract pilot, I am sure your client wants the plane in one piece.  Fly cautiously and VFR.  250 ain't much and if they can find a pilot willing to do it for less, then be my guest.  Turd sandwiches aren't tasty for anyone.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:08:50 AM by shake307 »
Respect is granted, not demanded.

Let's get drunk and fly!

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 03:30:26 AM »
Okay, I may be a bit rusty on this.  Once you swing the magnetic compass, the directional gyro is set.   I was an electrician on sh60s in the Navy and we did this annually.  Set magnetic compass to where you were located, geographically.  After that, you set the dgs to true north and you were good for another year.  If, according to what you posit, the compass swing is current, then all you have to do is fly at such and such heading for such and such time and you will be right on course.  Also, why in the hell are you flying an aircraft without proper communication?  Big no no and any aircraft I have ever worked on would be hard down for that.  Anyways, compass swing is far more involved and precise than I think most people realize.  I despised doing them.  Dead reckoning, at least to my knowledge, is only done as last resort mid flight.  It is a terrible way to navigate and is only relied upon when ALL OTHER NAVIGATION HAS FAILED.  At least to my training.  Also, are you flying VFR or IFR?  You better not be flying IFR if your equipment is faulty.  If VFR,  follow highways and landmarks.  Beech Baron isn't exactly an SR71.   Just fly low and follow the map, during daytime.  If you are a contract pilot, I am sure your client wants the plane in one piece.  Fly cautiously and VFR.  250 ain't much and if they can find a pilot willing to do it for less, then be my guest.  Turd sandwiches aren't tasty for anyone.
:airplane: I appreciate your comments, but the whole point of the post was to point out the importance of the liquid filled magnetic compass and its importance to safe flight. Most pilots in todays aviation industry pay little attention to it, as there are to many other instruments and methods by which to navigate.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 04:40:33 PM »
True on the liquid.

Is it drinkable? I mean if you happen to screw up the dead reckoning and had to land in the wilderness you could at least drink the liquid if it is alcohol based and make yourself cozy while waiting for the rescue.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 11:45:33 PM »
True on the liquid.

Is it drinkable? I mean if you happen to screw up the dead reckoning and had to land in the wilderness you could at least drink the liquid if it is alcohol based and make yourself cozy while waiting for the rescue.

-C+
:airplane:  :cheers: