Author Topic: Biggest "crutch" plane of AH  (Read 7128 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: Biggest "crutch" plane of AH
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2015, 05:09:07 PM »
the 190 is actually a great dog fighter. Not many people know how to really work it to its full ability.

also just like the 109 with the "rope" claim. It depends on which model you are talking about.

And there is a difference between running and trying to get some  E back as well as enough separation to be able to maneuver
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2015, 05:44:01 PM »
Spits. They are the original tricycle with training wheels.

Only girly girl women or male transvestites fly spits

Agreed, but I'd have to add the LA7. HO and run, repeat. Any one can do it.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2015, 05:48:21 PM »
An A6M? i think not. Its very slow and it has no manueverbility at high speeds.

To some degree all planes are crutch planes depending on the opponent

True despite some that don't like this pointed out if it refers to their favorite ride.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2015, 05:59:50 PM »
Me-262, I've even managed to attempt to dogfight Tempest's at low alt only to rope them. I forget who was my last victim, roped him in a F4u-4, dont think he was happy.
JG 52

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2015, 06:12:41 PM »
I would still say that arguing that slow turn fighters are "crutch" is wrong. Even if its better to fight low and slow with them than with a faster fighter it doesnt mean they are über. When a Ki-43 kills your La-7 in a turn fight it doesnt do it because its über but because u screwed up and put yourself in a position were u gave him a chance to kill u.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2015, 06:57:56 PM »
I would still say that arguing that slow turn fighters are "crutch" is wrong. Even if its better to fight low and slow with them than with a faster fighter it doesnt mean they are über. When a Ki-43 kills your La-7 in a turn fight it doesnt do it because its über but because u screwed up and put yourself in a position were u gave him a chance to kill u.

The bold part is true for all aircraft. A turnfighter that loses to a fast plane isn't losing because the fast plane is overpowered - it's simply fighting where it's strengths are strongest.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Online Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2015, 08:20:17 PM »
But that's why I love the 109, it's incredibly satisfying to shoot somebody down by roping them out, after being stuck down on the deck by them attempting to do the same to you.  :D

Catch me if you can Luftwiffle!
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2015, 08:40:33 PM »
Catch me if you can Luftwiffle!

Unless you're in a Temp, or an La-7, I think he's good for it.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2015, 09:51:04 PM »
In my mind, a crutch plane can take one of two forms; easy to fly, hard to screw up in (Spit 16), and very high performance, but harder to fly, requiring a more experienced pilot (Yak-3, K4, Spit 14, etc).

Now the latter can sometimes be a crutch, sometimes not. For me, I lack the gunnery skills to fully exploit the K4, so I wouldn't call it my crutch, not yet. The Spit 14 would be my personal crutch.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2015, 10:53:04 PM »
No other plane can keep a noob in the fight longer than a Spit16.  Therefore, biggest "crutch" plane of AH = Spit16. 

What do I win?   :banana:   

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2015, 04:22:50 AM »
The bold part is true for all aircraft. A turnfighter that loses to a fast plane isn't losing because the fast plane is overpowered - it's simply fighting where it's strengths are strongest.

Yes and no. A slow fighter cant catch a faster one. A fast plane can always choose to not fight. So unlike the fast plane the slower one need atleast one bad decision from the opponent to be able to beat him.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2015, 04:36:33 AM »
Started flying the 109 G-6 in 2010. After a while, i could figure out how to hang with most of the spits. Then tryed a spit and it was super duper easy mode. Later got pissed at the pickers and brought an la-7, that thing is like an F4U what climbs and runs like a devil. That would be my ultimate *non perked* dweeb plane.

For those who think the 190s are only good as long as they are pick n running... you know nothing about the niceties of this game  :aok
AoM
City of ice

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2015, 08:46:24 AM »
I honestly think the A6M is the "crutch" plane of aces high.

What do you think?
:airplane: I can only speak from my perspective as a bomber pilot! The Yak 3 seems to be the hardest for me to kill, as they are fast and SMALL and hard to hit. I can kill all the other interceptors equally or about the same, including the 163.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2015, 08:53:42 AM »
Another concept many dont always grasp is flying your plane to its strengths while using your opponents strengths against him. Even in a less then uber ride when going against an uber ride. If you can turn your opponents strength and/or advantage against him you can gain the upper hand and often the kill.

A basic example of this is in causing the overshoot being able to turn back into him as he passes and getting the snapshot as he flies by. A slower plan will turn tighter then a faster one. Thus you used your opponents speed advantage against him because he cant turn with you when he comes screaming in and he unless he flies smart cant turn away from you as he passes by and you turn back into him

Alt, speed and E advantage dont always win fights. Flying smart wins fights

This is one of the reasons to get at least a working knowledge of each planes strengths and weaknesses. How well does it turn and at what speed does it start to flounder. What can it do at what altitude. How does it perform in a dive. etc etc etc

People often forget and many because they came after just flat out dont know that before I was a "running" (eyeroll) D9 jock I flew the 109F for years. and was pretty successful with it even against uber rides. One of the reasons for that success wasnt because I had the better plane. (The 109F could hardly be considered uber when going against a P51D) But because I flew smarter, more disciplined, and patient. I stuck to my planes strengths by frustrating their passes and by doing that goaded people into fighting my fight. Once they committed to that 9 out of 10 times I knew the fight was over and it was only a matter of time and ammo.

Some of the tactics i learned to use in the 190F I still use in the D9. and to this day for example I know if I can get a pony into a turnfight and get him to a specific speed. The fight is mine
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:56:06 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2015, 09:20:08 AM »
Mosquito.  It is made out of wood.

How is this even a question?