Author Topic: A Modest Proposal to Fix Gameplay  (Read 7710 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: A Modest Proposal to Fix Gameplay
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2015, 10:51:05 PM »
I don't know if HT considers a dead HQ a real issue or not. I remember taking out the HQ and seeing it back up before I cleared the enemy's territory making it not worth the bomber sorte even with the City mostly down.

If it truely is a problem, and somehow I doubt it, then I've always wondered why the HQ didn't have its own radar tower dropped into the terrain to warn of the initial attack.

For gameplay in the next version, I always liked the old multistage HQ model of friendly bar, enemy bar, friendly dots, enemy dots, with separate buildings and graduated hardnesses.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2015, 07:40:36 AM »
I don't know if HT considers a dead HQ a real issue or not. I remember taking out the HQ and seeing it back up before I cleared the enemy's territory making it not worth the bomber sorte even with the City mostly down.

If it truely is a problem, and somehow I doubt it, then I've always wondered why the HQ didn't have its own radar tower dropped into the terrain to warn of the initial attack.

For gameplay in the next version, I always liked the old multistage HQ model of friendly bar, enemy bar, friendly dots, enemy dots, with separate buildings and graduated hardnesses.

I don't know when the last time you played was, but DAR can be down for long lengths of time these days. On top of that, a single player can knock it out and they bail most of the time. I have spent half hour blocks of time running supplies with other players to get it back up only to see it go back down by some NOE clown looking for a laugh.

I don't know about other players, but if dar went down and there was a rash of attacks along the front because they were using to "invisibility time" that downed DAR gives them for some quick attacks and base grabs it wouldn't bother me so much. Instead we get a black out on DAR and a bunch of BS over 200 on how we don't have DAR or how easy it was to sneak in and so on.

Hopefully in the new version it gets tweaked so a few players have to co-ordinate to take it down. Hopefully it gets it's own radar as well .... not that it will give you ample warning, but it may help.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2015, 09:17:22 AM »
OK - I know where you are coming from now.   I too once ran an online game where we had to recompile everything to change static values in the header file.
Well then, I guess the my entire wishlist changes to having INI files that are read in with each map that set the static values for the hardness of objects, the range of radar, etc.  At least that way you can control these things without having to generate an entire release, and it might be useful to test out different settings from map to map to see how it affects gameplay.

Have you ever played with ah settings?  You are making very false assumptions.

Hitech

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2015, 11:53:30 AM »
HiTech,

I can show you a long list of wishlist items going back to pre "Combat Tour" days, where each one those items has been implemented already in AH2.  This list can stretch anywhere from WW1 aircraft..... to AI aircraft  :aok

You have nothing further to prove with AH2.  The options are there for players to do a number of things listed, just not all in the Main Arena.  This is not a development problem as much as it is a player preference problem.  Players go to the arena with the most people in it, not realizing that does not necessarily mean the arena with the most "fun" game play.

One 30 second clip of AH3 beta would drop the jaw of most current critics, followed by silence, before a roar of applause.  :rock

Offline OldBull

• Copper Member
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2015, 02:05:11 PM »
I hardly consider a five step program that involves committees, voting blocks, and financial investment a modest proposal.
OldBull
XO ~Avengers~