Author Topic: Engine software  (Read 657 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Engine software
« on: June 11, 2015, 01:48:49 AM »
So A400ms engines are controlled by software?

One crashed in spain because important files were deleted.

Are commercial planes engines controlled by software?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Re: Engine software
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 02:11:58 AM »
So A400ms engines are controlled by software?

One crashed in spain because important files were deleted.

Are commercial planes engines controlled by software?

Virtually every modern engine is controlled by a software (FADEC) and also all of latest airliners flight controls controlled by a software (Fly By Wire).

And it already happens for a loooooooong time.

Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 02:20:22 AM »
If you have a car that's newer than 25 years old its engine is also "controlled by software."
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 04:55:28 AM »
If you have a car that's newer than 25 years old its engine is also "controlled by software."

Car engines usually have fail safe defaults if sensors give illogical information. I wonder why thats not the same with airplane engines. Probably a bit more complex operating environment.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 08:43:18 PM »
My guess is the failsafes on something that if stalled can plummet 30000 feet are somewhat more sophisticated than something that can sputter to the side of the road

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 09:55:46 PM »
Virtually every modern engine is controlled by a software (FADEC) and also all of latest airliners flight controls controlled by a software (Fly By Wire).

And it already happens for a loooooooong time.

Yes you are right but as you also probably already know, if the digital engine control fails, the fuel delivery reverts to a mechanical schedule.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 08:44:51 PM »
Car engines usually have fail safe defaults if sensors give illogical information. I wonder why thats not the same with airplane engines. Probably a bit more complex operating environment.

Properly installed equipment and software DOES have failsafes for bad (read: illogical) input.

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 09:28:34 PM »
My truck has never crashed because of bad software inputs.  However, at least TWO Airbus aircraft have.
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 10:24:32 PM »
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 11:10:05 PM »
My truck has never crashed because of bad software inputs.  However, at least TWO Airbus aircraft have.

were you around when the japanese brake software was accentuating and crashing cars?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 02:22:01 AM »

Aircraft engines usually have double to triple redundancy of the computers... But if software is wrong on all 2 or 3 of them. There is no way to help.

Now about mechanical failsafe - the problem is that jet engine fuel control unit is very complex stuff - it has many inputs that very the amount of fuel to put put into the engine: altitude, airspeed, pressure, temperature, rpm and their sudden changes and more...

Once there were hydro-mechanical computers that did the job and flameouts were much more frequent. Today digital system allow to run the engine in much more hard conditions - the conditions that older fuel control systems would fail.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 11:25:01 AM »
Aircraft engines usually have double to triple redundancy of the computers... But if software is wrong on all 2 or 3 of them. There is no way to help.

Now about mechanical failsafe - the problem is that jet engine fuel control unit is very complex stuff - it has many inputs that very the amount of fuel to put put into the engine: altitude, airspeed, pressure, temperature, rpm and their sudden changes and more...

Once there were hydro-mechanical computers that did the job and flameouts were much more frequent. Today digital system allow to run the engine in much more hard conditions - the conditions that older fuel control systems would fail.

Yeah thats what I thought. It's much easier to revert to defaults when you know you're going to be somewhere about sea level. But even then my car sputtered and jumped when cold when I had a broken MAF. Once it warmed up you hardly noticed the MAF was missing.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone