Author Topic: Why do buffs stay level when under attack?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Why do buffs stay level when under attack?
« on: June 27, 2015, 12:53:27 AM »
Move around! Dont make an easy target. Throw it into auto climb if someone attacks from the 12-3-9 o clock positions. Turn into your attackers, drop alt and gain speed if they come up your 6. learn to hit your target when your buffs are bouncing around! Dont give up easy kills make it difficult on your attacker.

Believe me it works :aok
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Why do buffs stay level when under attack?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 01:29:35 AM »
Move around! Dont make an easy target. Throw it into auto climb if someone attacks from the 12-3-9 o clock positions. Turn into your attackers, drop alt and gain speed if they come up your 6. learn to hit your target when your buffs are bouncing around! Dont give up easy kills make it difficult on your attacker.

If your buffs start moving and I'm in a 152 in position to strike....your only chance of survival is a lucky ping. Honestly it's the buff pilot who is level and starts shooting at 1K who does the best vs me attacking buffs.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline darkzking

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 02:17:15 AM »
Bombers that break out of level flight to evade make easy kills...
raynos32 Leader of the 242nd Sloppy Terminators
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
See Rule #4

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 02:39:34 AM »

They need to be level and flying at a constant speed if we're about to drop - otherwise we lose calibration!  As for coming up on my 6 - they would be the easy kill for me!  And if they come from other directions, I have a good choice of guns in my B17s.  Though I must admit I used to enjoy gunning for pilots who did turn-fight their bombers and listen to the whining after we shot someone down.   :old:  ;)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 08:15:57 AM »
Bombers that break out of level flight to evade make easy kills...

wrong !!!  i avoid slashing attacks in lancs often by breaking at the last moment,it  works quite well to make them loose E and force them to crawl up the 6 for a tail gun shot.

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 11:24:33 AM »
If your buffs start moving and I'm in a 152 in position to strike....your only chance of survival is a lucky ping. Honestly it's the buff pilot who is level and starts shooting at 1K who does the best vs me attacking buffs.

Great response JunkyII its that confidence that leads to exactly what you described. That confidence comes from hundreds if not thousands of reps over the years.

But....

You will find most players do not know how to shoot at a target while bouncing around. I have this system of evasion that works like a charm. Its not 100% but it works very well.

The reason I can buy your statement is if any interceptor takes the time to get into proper attacking position the only defense a buff has are the guns. Depending on the angle of attack and rate of closing speed even the guns can be neutralized.

So ill give it to you Junky you and a handful of others may be the exception. Yet you can counter in slashing attack. My weakness is a slash attack from high 3 or 9 o clock at very high speed. To counter if i set auto-climb to a low speed(115-120) and throw it into auto-climb when you begin your run, hop into the top turret and turn into the attack I increase the closing speed and take away the angle while still giving myself a firing solution and it works. A lot of times I end up ramming the nme con with this move. Thats just one example. Doesnt work everytime but it does work even against the best.

My point is I want to take away the advantage gained by the angle of attack and closing speed. When you set up for a good position your attack run is still point A to point B. If I disrupt this line my chances of survival increase greatly. It still will come down to the ability of the buff pilot to hit the nme with his guns and thats a whole other subject!  :salute

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 11:47:34 AM »
They need to be level and flying at a constant speed if we're about to drop - otherwise we lose calibration!  As for coming up on my 6 - they would be the easy kill for me!  And if they come from other directions, I have a good choice of guns in my B17s.  Though I must admit I used to enjoy gunning for pilots who did turn-fight their bombers and listen to the whining after we shot someone down.   :old:  ;)

Correct! and in those critical moments before a drop thats when a buff is most vulnerable. I taught myself how to steady my plane coming out of turns, climbs, and dives as quickly as possible. Its all about throttle control.

It is very possible to evade a target by breaking and still calibrate close enough to make a good drop.

Just because calibration might not be perfect means nothing. If your over speed and/or alt drop early depending on by how much and vice versa if your slow. Its taken thousand of reps to master but it is possible.

I need 3-4 seconds of calibration once my plane is level and steady. Like i said before its all about throttle control.

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »
Great response JunkyII its that confidence that leads to exactly what you described. That confidence comes from hundreds if not thousands of reps over the years.

But....

You will find most players do not know how to shoot at a target while bouncing around. I have this system of evasion that works like a charm. Its not 100% but it works very well.

The reason I can buy your statement is if any interceptor takes the time to get into proper attacking position the only defense a buff has are the guns. Depending on the angle of attack and rate of closing speed even the guns can be neutralized.

So ill give it to you Junky you and a handful of others may be the exception. Yet you can counter in slashing attack. My weakness is a slash attack from high 3 or 9 o clock at very high speed. To counter if i set auto-climb to a low speed(115-120) and throw it into auto-climb when you begin your run, hop into the top turret and turn into the attack I increase the closing speed and take away the angle while still giving myself a firing solution and it works. A lot of times I end up ramming the nme con with this move. Thats just one example. Doesnt work everytime but it does work even against the best.

My point is I want to take away the advantage gained by the angle of attack and closing speed. When you set up for a good position your attack run is still point A to point B. If I disrupt this line my chances of survival increase greatly. It still will come down to the ability of the buff pilot to hit the nme with his guns and thats a whole other subject!  :salute
The reason I find it easier to kill "bouncing buffs" is because your drones separate from the main bird.

In the Infantry we call the area an automatic weapon sprays out a cone of fire, if your planes are together in level flight...your cone is smaller but has a higher amount of lead in it. If your moving and your buffs are separating then your cone is larger and less deadly....

If you ever know your about to be attacked by me in your buffs, just know I'm going after the plane that is the most spread out, maybe you can jump to that plane and fair better.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 12:13:08 PM »
The reason I find it easier to kill "bouncing buffs" is because your drones separate from the main bird.

In the Infantry we call the area an automatic weapon sprays out a cone of fire, if your planes are together in level flight...your cone is smaller but has a higher amount of lead in it. If your moving and your buffs are separating then your cone is larger and less deadly....

If you ever know your about to be attacked by me in your buffs, just know I'm going after the plane that is the most spread out, maybe you can jump to that plane and fair better.
Your right! There is no defending the drones in this move. If you jump into a drone you have no control over of its movements. Your having to adjust the whole time and your lucky to smack the nme hard enough to stop the attack. I have to rely on the main plane's line of fire and will loose both drones if i cant shoot you down first.

Your making me itch Junky lol makes me look forward to meeting you in game in this scenario!

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 12:25:12 PM »
Hitting auto climb, and pulling some slight rudder at the last second has saved me sooo many formations. As soon as the climb speed is reached, type .speed 300 and the bomber will nose down, then type .speed 200 and back up the nose go's.

All while spitting hot lead at a would be attacker who thinks flying level makes you a harder target.  :rofl

Effin' comedy.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 12:42:28 PM »
Hitting auto climb, and pulling some slight rudder at the last second has saved me sooo many formations. As soon as the climb speed is reached, type .speed 300 and the bomber will nose down, then type .speed 200 and back up the nose go's.

All while spitting hot lead at a would be attacker who thinks flying level makes you a harder target.  :rofl

Effin' comedy.

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 02:34:12 PM »
  Though I must admit I used to enjoy gunning for pilots who did turn-fight their bombers and listen to the whining after we shot someone down.   :old:  ;)

I wish it would be coaded like AirWarrior was where you could put a player behind every gun, dog fighting Deathstars were a blast
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 04:58:31 PM »
I HATE BOMBERS! Lol only one Time was I able to attack a set of b17s and kill all 3 with my 152 and able land them..a bomber pilot that jockeys his set and won't let me attack from the front or side will make me impatient and force me to saddle up on their 6 and at 1.5 out a short burst from then takes my rt wing off and gives me a pw 100% of the Time..the last Time I was co alt at 30k ..That's a long fall.Damn you shakesspr lol <S>
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 07:22:34 PM »
As a bomber, turn a bit and jump into another bomber in the formation, volá drones collide with the attacker, or warp  up to 1000 yards to keep formation, repeat as necessary.
Impossible to hit the bomber except the one with the pilot in it.

This should be resulting in drones lost,but it's not enforced unfortunately.
Some players use this as a easy way of getting out of trouble.

Some bombers seems allow more turning without losing drones than others.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 08:08:55 PM »
Anyone ever use a snap roll in buffs? Any buff including 29's with or without ords can do it. you wont loose your drones at all and it really throws off the attacker. Buffs roll as good as a 190! Thatz my last ditch effort after i loose my first drone.

CO-Fine
XO-KO