Author Topic: Bomber Performance  (Read 549 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Bomber Performance
« on: July 05, 2015, 12:27:16 PM »
I have on many found myself attacking bombers that are cruising at 34-36K. B-17, B-24s, Ki-67. Lancasters.

I also find that late war fighters can't get up to them, or if they do it is just barely, and then find themselves wallowing around un-able to turn with the bombers and un-able to maneuver for for shots.

Other than the B-29, I don't believe there was a bomber that could fly over the top of the fighters during the war. It's getting so every buff pilots knows the formation is untouchable at 36K so more and more are flying there. The only answer seems to be to just leave them to bomb what ever they want. They have free reign.   

I don't recall there being a safe haven alt for Buffs during the actual war. Is something not modeled correctly? I've checked the service ceilings both in game and on-line [always questionable] but I can't find any that can operate at 36K  :salute

Vinkman
Who is John Galt?

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
Re: Bomber Performance
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 12:45:44 PM »
Most LW planes can easily catch a Buff at 35k. Ponys, P-47, 109D and Ta-152, Spit XIV etc.
Of course u need to plan your intercept and learn how to fly at those altitudes but its far from impossible.
This is a pretty large advantage for the 152.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 01:02:58 PM »
I agree with vinkman. Every time I see buffs that high I don't even bother. It takes a while to climb up and maintain the speed to get on top of them. By then they have already dropped ords and decided to bail lol. Some bombers will stay up, once you get to that alt they somehow blast you away. Even if the main bomber is rolling falling down with a missing wing they still seem to be hitting you. I think thos guns in the bombers are a bit over modeled.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 01:29:40 PM »
Lancasters, per Luche's tests, cannot go that high in AH.  Not sure about Ki-67s, but my experience would suggest not.  B-17s I am sure can, but it takes a long time.

Highest I ever got in a Mossie XVI was about 33k and that has high blown engines, and though it doesn't matter in the game, cockpit pressurization.  Only three pressurized aircraft in the game are the B-29, Mosquito Mk XVI and Ta152H-1.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 01:51:11 PM »
I've attempted to intercept B17s that were 37K to 39K.  It has never resulted in anything but my death (either directly by their 24 guns or due to boredom).  I now just completely ignore them.  As far as I am concerned they can putter around destroying the whole game with impunity.  I don't care.  Intercepting them is not, in any way, shape or form, a form of entertainment for me; certainly not one I want to pay thousands of dollars for ($15/month times 12 months times many, many years).

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 02:43:42 PM »
I've attempted to intercept B17s that were 37K to 39K.  It has never resulted in anything but my death (either directly by their 24 guns or due to boredom).  I now just completely ignore them.  As far as I am concerned they can putter around destroying the whole game with impunity.  I don't care.  Intercepting them is not, in any way, shape or form, a form of entertainment for me; certainly not one I want to pay thousands of dollars for ($15/month times 12 months times many, many years).
I'd intercept up to 25-30k at most.

When flying bombers I'd only go to 22k in the Ki-67 or 25k in the B-17.  I want to engage in air-to-air combat on such a sortie, that is the fun of it in a gunned bomber.  Mossie doesn't have guns so I'd go to its best speed alt of 28k.  Only reason I was at 33k was to climb above the altitude an Me262 who was after me could get to as I certainly couldn't out run him.  G4M I only went to 15k as its engines really lose power above that.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 03:13:18 PM »
Lancasters, per Luche's tests, cannot go that high in AH.  Not sure about Ki-67s, but my experience would suggest not.  B-17s I am sure can, but it takes a long time.

Highest I ever got in a Mossie XVI was about 33k and that has high blown engines, and though it doesn't matter in the game, cockpit pressurization.  Only three pressurized aircraft in the game are the B-29, Mosquito Mk XVI and Ta152H-1.
I got our low altitude Mossie FB.VI up to 38k. Never thought it could go as high.
Went AFK and when I was back I was at 38K with no land showing on the clipboard.
Bailed out.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »
I now just completely ignore them.

Same here.

I rarely fly above 8k so I rarely see co-alt bombers, but there is no reason for a bomber to fly low as accuracy doesn't suffer much with altitude. Aces High is basically 3 different games now; the high alt snore fest, the world of tanks, and the rest of us in the middle.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 12:38:52 PM »
Same here.

I rarely fly above 8k so I rarely see co-alt bombers, but there is no reason for a bomber to fly low as accuracy doesn't suffer much with altitude. Aces High is basically 3 different games now; the high alt snore fest, the world of tanks, and the rest of us in the middle.
Del we are on the same boat. My max alt is usually about 8k also. Whatever is above me I let them come down for a piece of me. Best fights are on the deck above trees in my opinion.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 09:29:03 AM »
If you are not in at least a semi fast plane to climb to bombers at 20k or higher, it will take you all day to climb up to them and to get above them. Once you do get above them to make one pass, you have to turn around and get back above them to make another pass. It can take quite sometime and patients and for some reason it seems like they are going faster than you..and at times I can't believe I haven't sped ahead of their nose after leveling off above them. Not to mention these things seriously take the most damage ever, if you aren't above them with 50 cals spreying for all mighty, don't even try. I personally think bombers are too leathal, considering the 50 cals all point to the same place. If the bombers start their nose down dives while shooting with the rear guns they are extremely difficult to kill, while getting enough bullets in them to take them down, then you get a 1 ping oil leak or easily shot up by the ridiculously easy aiming guns. Personally, I think bombers pilots who take the time to get 20k have it easy in this game.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion