Author Topic: FUBAR 6 way exit on skydive  (Read 376 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
FUBAR 6 way exit on skydive
« on: May 24, 2015, 04:11:19 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ve-4Z86xUw

This was probably the least successful but also the most fun jump we did last week.

Note: How NOT to exit a 6 way

I'm in the yellow shorts, red tshirt and sunburnt face.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: FUBAR 6 way exit on skydive
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 06:00:29 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ve-4Z86xUw

This was probably the least successful but also the most fun jump we did last week.

Note: How NOT to exit a 6 way

I'm in the yellow shorts, red tshirt and sunburnt face.

:eek:

damn bro

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 03:48:35 AM »
Lol, fun has been had!

Be careful with those uncontrolled meatbombs around you (tbh, I've never been very good at RW myself).

What's your conttainer btw? The new Aerodyne Icon? Do you mind to share your main and reserve?

I had an Icon with Pilot 188 (all black) and Smart 190, loaded around 1.
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 05:35:16 AM »
Lol, fun has been had!

Be careful with those uncontrolled meatbombs around you (tbh, I've never been very good at RW myself).

What's your conttainer btw? The new Aerodyne Icon? Do you mind to share your main and reserve?

I had an Icon with Pilot 188 (all black) and Smart 190, loaded around 1.

Hey deSelys, hoped you might see this and have a peek. I'm more into tracking and freefly, but that 6way was so fun. My belly skills could use a refresh I'd say.

The guy who posted the video is not me, I can't remember what kit he has exactly. I'm the sunburnt one in the yellow shorts.

Currently using a Javelin from about 1997 still in amazingly good condition with a slightly more recent ZP EXE main 168 and a PD143 reserve. Also just picked up a Teardrop with a sabre1 170 main (hard openings!) and a Tempo 210 reserve. The price was too generous to refuse. Hoping to exchange the sabre1 for a slightly more gentle 150 of some kind when I'm ready to downsize in a few months.

I've heard good things about Icons, did you like it?
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 03:33:45 AM »
Hello Mechanic,

The Icon served me well. I bought it new, never had a mal and, some mud stains aside, it was still looking as brand new when I sold it.

I like that your reserve is bigger than you main in your second rig. I think that it is not sensible to have to experience flying a smaller canopy when you're  a bit shaken up by a mal, most probably low and maybe forced to land out. Unfortunately, a lot of the 2nd hand rigs have a reserve 1 size smaller than the main (like your 1st rig). Although, if I remember correctly, it wasn't recommended to put a reserve bigger than the main in an Icon.

I feel for you about the slammer openings of the Sabre 1. I rented one day an Atom container with a PdF Merit main and I saw stars at every opening. Really unpleasant and I wouldn't want to experience that again nowadays with my older and stiffer neck.
The Pilot had much softer (and longer) openings, and a really great glide. The only thing I didn't like much about it was the relative lack of toggle response in the flare. You really have to bury the toggles to make it fly horizontal to the ground.

If I decide to take up skydiving again, I'll probably try to find a Vector with skyhook, 190 main with dacron lines to dampen the opening shock and 210 reserve. An old man rig ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:35:24 AM by deSelys »
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 06:00:41 PM »
Hello Mechanic,

The Icon served me well. I bought it new, never had a mal and, some mud stains aside, it was still looking as brand new when I sold it.

I like that your reserve is bigger than you main in your second rig. I think that it is not sensible to have to experience flying a smaller canopy when you're  a bit shaken up by a mal, most probably low and maybe forced to land out. Unfortunately, a lot of the 2nd hand rigs have a reserve 1 size smaller than the main (like your 1st rig). Although, if I remember correctly, it wasn't recommended to put a reserve bigger than the main in an Icon.

I feel for you about the slammer openings of the Sabre 1. I rented one day an Atom container with a PdF Merit main and I saw stars at every opening. Really unpleasant and I wouldn't want to experience that again nowadays with my older and stiffer neck.
The Pilot had much softer (and longer) openings, and a really great glide. The only thing I didn't like much about it was the relative lack of toggle response in the flare. You really have to bury the toggles to make it fly horizontal to the ground.

If I decide to take up skydiving again, I'll probably try to find a Vector with skyhook, 190 main with dacron lines to dampen the opening shock and 210 reserve. An old man rig ;)

Thought you might like to see this. My friend Devon had a mal right on top of me so caught it on camera. Some kind of break fire made worse with a line over. Pretty intense to see it happen so close. We were lucky no one got hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSwLL537G8o