Author Topic: Upcoming Scenario Format - Your Opportunity To Weigh In  (Read 3576 times)

Offline puller

• Gold Member
Re: Upcoming Scenario Format - Your Opportunity To Weigh In
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 08:39:27 AM »
12 hour BOB all the way baby  :rock :rock :rock
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 08:43:21 AM »
Small additional note - 12h scenario was interesting one time but it hurts the players that can't spend 12 hours or  even 6 hours. All previous scenarios I participated in I and my entire squadron usually was able to do 3-4 frames - for almost entire frame. This virtually impossible for 12h one.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 08:48:18 AM »
We should do 12 hours scenarios 1-2 times/year, its not for every scenario, more of the cream on the cake.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 09:07:18 AM »
ROC,

1.  The 12 hour scenario with take off windows was a lot of fun.  Maybe 30 min windows would keep the action going better with unlimited lives.

2.  Loved the plane and GV mixed battles of a few scenarios long ago.

3.  Maybe try lowering the altitude max of fighters and buffs so the different planes of each side come closer to each performing to their maximum performance.
       Say, 22K fighter, 15K buffs.  It could produce a real fast paced slugfest, even out the plane sets and keep the action more constant.

4.  Whatever theater that could accommodate the above.  I prefer a more fast paced constant action to long climb outs to 30k+.           
"One-Eye"

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 09:10:46 AM »
My least favorite are carrier based scenario's.  I believe the preponderance of them involve just one flight with no re-arms so they are over early, unless it is a multi life event and I do not see many here that align themselves with Japanese squadrons.  Most of us "play " as Luftwaffe or US squadrons.

My most favorite of all time was the 12 hour scenario.

I would like to see more scenario's involving ME262's.

If I had my choice, it would be a 12 hour scenario that began with early war birds for the first 4 hours, mid war birds for the second four hours and then late war birds for the last 4 hours, including the 262's in that last 4 hours.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 09:18:47 AM »
If I had my choice, it would be a 12 hour scenario that began with early war birds for the first 4 hours, mid war birds for the second four hours and then late war birds for the last 4 hours, including the 262's in that last 4 hours.

There ya go...start with the BOB in the first 4 hours....then go with the Dday or a little earlier....end with 262's exploding 17s over berlin...you could include gvs in the last 2 frames as there were ground assaults happening...every hour you could either up a gv or a plane....your choice...or your squadrons choice....

I like the 3 or 4 frames over the course of a month...but look at the turnout we got from the 12 scenario...it was so awesome...everyone was there...

Now...I understand flyin for the whole 12 hours isn't for everyone...but that's the best part you don't have to be there for the entire thing...You could pop in fly a sortie or 2 in the first frame...go mow the lawn...come back fly a hour in frame 2...take wife to dinner to lessen wifeack and fly the last 3 hours of frame 3...you just participated in nearly the entire scenario and your gonna get points from the wife by acting like you enjoy taking her to dinner and mowing the lawn...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:31:27 AM by puller »
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 10:17:46 AM »
My least favorite are carrier based scenario's.  I believe the preponderance of them involve just one flight with no re-arms so they are over early, unless it is a multi life event and I do not see many here that align themselves with Japanese squadrons.  Most of us "play " as Luftwaffe or US squadrons.

Imagine a mix of USN and RN CV fleets fielding F4Fs, F4Us, seafires, etc, versus 1944 LW iron including Ju-88/87 ship killers.....and long range flights of Lancasters and mossies headed for Norway.

That was the North Sea scenario we ran.  And it was epic.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 10:34:09 AM »
First off, I would encourage HTC to have a screen proclaiming the event upon login into the Main Arena.

I feel the biggest factor is lack of participation lately. Granted it reflects the current numbers that play Aces High but I also feel the designers put too many slots into the event as some kind of 'wishful thinking' thought process. From what I've seen, this tends to make the overall Allied to Axis ratio incorrect.

Instead, I would limit the event to 100 players initially. I know a bunch of you will disagree with me, but the event needs a little exclusivity. If either side fills, the incentive to fill the other would be present. Later, the overall numbers can always be increased if the interest is there. The Axis had a devil of a time last event and were behind in numbers from the very beginning.

That said, I'm determined to join the lowest side next event. Hopefully in the weakest ride, or in a ride without any guns at all in a recon role.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »
For the 12hr format I think BoB would be great. Such a good scenario, whether it's FSO, snapshot, etc. Some of the most white knuckle, lip biting fights I've ever had have been on that channel. This 12hr format would be really cool I think.

For multiple frames, I'd say Eastern Front. Last one that I remember was a while ago and had GV's as well if I recall.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 12:02:14 PM »
The scenario yet to be done in AH is IMO Kursk.

The challenge is to not let it become totally tank based but be able to view the battle from an airwar/attack perspective and how it may have tipped the balance in what was historically one of the greatest tank battles in history.

I have come to the conclusion that two elements are missing from the scenario designers arsenal to achieve this.

1. AI mission programable GV's
2. PTAB's for the IL2M3.

Given these two elements (and the usual excellent terrain to suit) I am confident that an immersing, dynamic scenario design can be created from everything else available within AH today. Such a design would include both command and control elements mixed with stage by stage objectives driving both sides toward both defence and attack strategies in a battle frenzy coherent with the challenges met by the forces of the day.

The concept would have the following rides I have added one we don't have but it is not essential IMO

Russia

Yak7
Yak9T (M option load out to represent the Yak9D)
La5
P39
PE2
Boston (non Formation)
IL2m3 (With PTAB)
TU2 (non Formation)

T34 76mm (43) (also as AI)
M3 (also as AI)

Germany
BF109F
Bf 109G2
FW 190 A5
Ju87
Ju88 (Non Formation)

Panzer Mk III (also as AI)
Panzer Mk IV (also as AI)
Tiger 1 (also as AI)
Panther (also as AI)
SK251(also as AI)

The design would rotate around CM designed preset GV missions to re create the massed tank battles of the day. The side commanders would be able to influence the weight of resources applied to their sides GV forces within preset maxims dictated by their sides overall strength. The side commanders objectives would be air war in character whereby their defensive/offence air borne forces must tip the balance in the ground war in their sides favour.

Players would have set multiple pilot lives and indeed once these were used they could take up roles as tank commanders albeit in the midst of an AI driven tankbattle/s.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:35:12 PM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline extropy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 12:03:02 PM »
Post El Alamein - Monty chasing Rommel to Tunisia. Hurri-Ds as tank busters.

Axis win criteria - make it to Tunisia Fxx with xx% of forces alive
Allied win criteria - the other alternative

Pick the starting point for the chase to give the required scenario length.

Possible side plot - naval convoy from Italy to resupply Rommel. If it gets through, tanks can re-up at certain points along the way.

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
One thing about changing the planesets within the scenario(12 hour), is that it would cause the admins alot of work on top of what they already are doing.

I actually agree with Delirium on his point of limiting the event.

Still kicking myself for not finding those Lancasters in the North Sea scenario, if I flown North for 30 more seconds, I would've found them.   :( Still a very fun scenario though.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2015, 12:14:35 PM »
I agree that specific battles should be done as 12 hour scenarios while campaign style scenarios should stick to the 4 hour 3-4 week structure. One gives the feeling of being in a full day of combat while the other gives a better sense of an ongoing war.

BoB 12 hour would be amazing.

Regardless of the issues, I think the Russian front needs another run. A 12 hour Kursk or Stalingrad maybe?

Some personal ideas of my own:

A day/night European scenario: Daylight US bombing followed by night time British bombing and a twilight period in between (for Mossies!).

A "what if" battle simulating what would have happened if the Russian/Japanese skirmishes on the border had escalated. (Oscars and early model Zekes against Yak-7's and I16's)

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 01:42:56 PM »
No matter how cool 12 hour scenario is, only few people can fly even 6 hours giving very low percent of players doing entire scenario. There are very few scenarios in general. Converting it into 12h would make it even more rare.

AAdditionally entire squadron concept becomes less relevant as your group is changing over time.,Briefing and debriefing is significant part of gameplay that is gone in 12h scenario. It is nice to have it maybe once a year but not more.

About Russian vs Japanese we cam rum Khalkin Gol snenario. Problem that we miss ki 27 and sb-2.

Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel