Author Topic: Why not Spit XIV?  (Read 5451 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: Why not Spit XIV?
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2015, 07:20:12 AM »
Not the K4, or the G14 or the Spit 16, though? If acceleration is what gets you, they're right up there with the La and Spit 14. Certainly far ahead of the Mossie.

The spits16 pretty much owns the g14 and K4 in any 1v1 fight. The only way to beat a spit16 is to out fly the pilot. The G14 is an average late war plane. The guns on the spit make it easier to kill than the K4 and as I said before, a lot of people have trouble being successful in the 109ss becauase they don't dive well. Many people fly botth the spits and 109s too aggressively aand die a lot whicha is why they have low K/Ds.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2015, 07:51:46 AM »
Not the K4, or the G14 or the Spit 16, though? If acceleration is what gets you, they're right up there with the La and Spit 14. Certainly far ahead of the Mossie.
The only thing I don't recall ever killing in a Mossie is a Bf109K-4.  Bf109s in generally gave me headaches.

There was this one time, I was gaining position on him, almost had him, when his Fw190D-9 buddy got me.  I knew I was almost certainly going to lose when I engaged the two who were obviously winging.  Players flying German stuff are, on average, better than players flying other stuff.

La-7s could be rough, but I have a lot of silly kills on them.  Spitfires I generally found easy due to the players using them.  Like Bozon the Mk XIV was my biggest worry because a Mossie cannot disengage from one unless the XIV wants to let the Mossie disengage.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2015, 03:06:48 PM »
K4 and G14 are tough adversaries, but their weaknesses are something that I can easily work against. The are definitely easier to escape from due to their dive speed limits (provided I have some air under me). I don't find the K4 exceptionally dangerous more than the other 1945 monsters - that is not to say it is not dangerous... The Spit 14 vs. the Mossie is a more wierd matchup - The mossie like the Spit14 has massive torque. Like the Spit14 it is very unstable at slow speeds and can easily flip out of control. However, the torque works in opposite direction, which also drives me nuts when I fly Spit14 or Typh while so used to the Mossie - my responses are all wrong. It also means that in a matchup, a left turn benefits the mossie while a right turn benefits the 14 - the difference is huge. Against the 109s the right/left differece is not so big and I can hang with a K4 in a turn for quite some angles, either way. Also, while the Mossie is a big target, a K4 is much more likely to miss than a Spit14, and those hispanos hurt bad, so the extra power of the tater is usualy an overkill.

Spit 16, with a bit of initial separation, the mossie can extend from... on the deck... with WEP.... with these you either have to kill them in 1-2 moves, choose your timing and escape, or rely on the likely lower skill of the Spit pilot that can be exploited in a knife fight. You cannot run from a Spit14, cannot out dive it and cannot reverse E states, and he can keep pressure on you without pulling more than 3G and never get into a knife fight. Very soon some of his hispano rounds WILL connect. It is not like the Spit14 is a super plane, it is very much killable. It just can be a prolonged and annoying fight where the Mossie will be on defense the whole time.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2015, 12:35:49 PM »
Because as long as there is a K4 there is no reason to fly the Spit14.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2015, 01:00:31 PM »
as long as there is a K4 there is no reason to fly the Spit14.

Just some base facts:
  • Spit 14 slightly out climbs K4.
  • Spit 14 has slightly better turn radius.
  • Some find gun package on Spit 14 easier get hits with.
  • K4 has a slightly better acceleration.
  • Most novice pilots find k4 more stable.
  • K4 is aprox 10 mph faster than the Spit 14.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 01:10:34 PM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2015, 01:23:50 PM »
Just some base facts:

the term "novice" makes no sense in point 5.  The Spit14 is not as stable as the K4 under load transitions from low to high power, especially in turns, giving the K4 big edge in actual manueverablity, that an expert K4 would make much better use of. True it takes an expert to fly a spit14 to full potential, but that potential is less than an expert will get out of a K4.  :salute 
Who is John Galt?

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2015, 01:30:26 PM »
Just some base facts:

Spit 14 also has worse endurance and horrendous wep cycle. The K4 can spend almost 2/3rds of it's sortie WEP'd up, while the Spit 14 is effectively limited to 5 minutes, with perhaps enough flight time to WEP up on egress.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2015, 01:49:51 PM »
the term "novice" makes no sense in point 5.  The Spit14 is not as stable as the K4 under load transitions from low to high power, especially in turns, giving the K4 big edge in actual manueverablity, that an expert K4 would make much better use of. True it takes an expert to fly a spit14 to full potential, but that potential is less than an expert will get out of a K4.  :salute

I always found the K4 far more stable. Some reason the Spit 14 just never seemed to "fly right". Then again I do have thousands of kills in a K4, and barely 200 in a Spit 14. If I want a Spit below 15k I just take a Spit 16, that extra "Speed" doesn't help a spit 14 because whatever it "can out run" it can't out turn.
JG 52

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2015, 03:11:09 PM »
A lot of your problems fighting a spit14 vs. K4 is easier to do with a spit8. Most of the time I run into K4 with alt and have to spend all of their passes in either spit getting equal or above them. Then most these days start HOing as soon as either spit equalizes with them. I suspect we are growing a better quality of spit vets these days for all the K4 HOing I get now.

Lord forbid if Hitech changes the Griffon 65 to a 21lb boost like they really were over the continent. When the spit14 was first used for combat, it was against V1 mid 44 and they were cleared for 150oct so they had a chance to catch the V1s. England had been receiving stores of 150oct since March 44.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2015, 11:45:31 AM »
After doing some offline testing I think the key to master the XIV is to learn to use the rudder, it feels unstable because of the yaw motion during maneuvers, it prob take some time to master but when u do...
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking