Author Topic: Licensed Pilots???  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Licensed Pilots???
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2015, 07:09:40 AM »
Got my PPL about 20 years ago. I was checked out in the Cessna 152, Piper Warrior, and Piper Cherokee. I was going to school to become a commercial airline pilot.

I lost interest while going for the instrument rating. I realized I was most attracted to the daredevil aspects of flying, not the long flights. I dreaded the cross-county flights.

My aviation science professor said "I'm keeping binoculars in my brief case now, so whoever buzzed the campus and flew next to the water tower yesterday better not try that again." Hmmm, wonder who that was?

Thanks for not getting your commercial license. :banana:

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2015, 07:50:30 AM »
Thanks for not getting your commercial license. :banana:
Indeed!

"Howdy folks. Nothing to worry about, that was a high yo-yo. I was bored."
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2015, 08:07:11 AM »
Got my PPL about 20 years ago. I was checked out in the Cessna 152, Piper Warrior, and Piper Cherokee. I was going to school to become a commercial airline pilot.

I lost interest while going for the instrument rating. I realized I was most attracted to the daredevil aspects of flying, not the long flights. I dreaded the cross-county flights.

My aviation science professor said "I'm keeping binoculars in my brief case now, so whoever buzzed the campus and flew next to the water tower yesterday better not try that again." Hmmm, wonder who that was?

Nothing personal but in that case u should stick into flying AH, there are no old, bold pilots as they say.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline CavPuke

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2015, 11:32:30 AM »
Commercial Pilot IFR Rating Helicopter 1977

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2015, 11:14:45 PM »
Been flying about 5 years now, currently working up in Alaska. I drive a Caravan based out of Kodiak.

"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2015, 12:10:37 PM »
Got my privates because of interest developed in this game, its been dormant for a few years now but was fun to get.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
Been flying about 5 years now, currently working up in Alaska. I drive a Caravan based out of Kodiak.

(Image removed from quote.)
Congrats Tupac!  Well done!

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2015, 09:38:11 AM »
Congrats Tupac!  Well done!
:airplane: He does look he belongs there doesn't he?
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Golden Dragon

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2015, 02:53:18 PM »
Nice photo, Tupac.  I have a couple thousand of hours of Part 135 Van time in the Northwest.  I loved that job!  Enjoy your time hand flying that smooth flying machine and getting to personally know your passengers.  Low and slow may not be where the good money is at but many of us airline guys reminisce about those good old days while sipping coffee up in the Flight Levels. :cheers:
Fight's on!

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »
My knowledge on antique aircraft is still developing, but upon further research, there was only one original Gere Sport built. Is that the original, or a plans built replica? Either way it's a realy impressive sport plane!

It's a plans-built replica, finished around 1966 by Oran Frye. Continental C-90, so it has a starter! There are a few others around. Jerry Mason of Reseda CA has one but he doesn't call it a "Gere Sport".

Here's Frye's rather crude drawing submitted to the FAA when he first licensed it:

Offline cbebensee

• Zinc Member
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2015, 12:18:00 AM »
I started flying after "learning" to fly in Confirmed Kill .91 or .92.  I wasted too much time flying CK and dropped out of engineering school.  I got a degree in aviation flight science, slowly got to my CFI and started teaching private and aerobatics in southern California, which I did for almost 10 years.  A brief foray into charter flying in 2008 in a Citation II, more instructing.  Then flying a King Air A90 over Los Angeles dropping medflies.  There's nothing like yanking and banking a 1965 King Air at less than 1000 feet (with a wavier of course) in congested class B airspace!  That's especially true when you consider the lack of AC, no autopilot, 150 foot wide course tolerance when dropping on your lines, and the friendly medflies buzzing around in the cockpit while you try to quickly eat your snack before they do on a 4 hour flight :)  Now I fly a CE680 for another 135 company.  I've been pretty off and on with Aces High over the years, but I keep coming back!  I was WDGE in CK and CJ in AH for a few tours.  Now I'm 680Drvr.  Honestly though, CK taught me a lot of the skills that helped me breeze through my private license. 

Offline OldBull

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2015, 03:56:35 PM »
I started flying in the summer of 1967 when I graduated from high school, got my private ticket and passed the commercial written, started pumping gas at our local FBO and collected hours in more small aircraft that I can now remember, I have a little stick time in probably 20 or so different aircraft most single engine fixed gear with some twin time in Aztecs, Twin Comanches and a Cessna 310. The most memorable of my short hops was about an hours time in an old WW II Taylorcraft spotter plane still in war paint & markings, what a fun time, as I recall it only had three gauges, a tach, an oil pressure gauge and a turn and bank indicator, the fuel gauge was a glass tube under the wing you had to look out the window to see. What a blast!! The good life came to an abrupt end in late 1968 when my draft notice arrived. I was absolutely crushed to find out that neither the Air Force or the Navy was willing to turn me loose in their F-4 Phantoms even with my high school diploma and impressive amount of hours (about 200) so I had to settle for being an Air Traffic Controller in the Air Force, a tour at Kelly AFB in Texas and at U-Tapio in Thailand with SAC and the B-52's. I was there for the Christmas bombing in 1972 and saw the POWs come thru there on their way home after being released in March 1973, went to work for the Federal Aviation Admn. when I got out and enjoyed all that aviation had to offer until President Reagan fired me in August of 1981 for going on strike. I have never been in an aircraft since but can often be found in the skies of Aces High in my B-17, "The Heifer"
OldBull
OldBull
XO ~Avengers~

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2015, 02:10:24 AM »
The last 45 planes I've been in, I had to jump out the door mid-flight.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2015, 04:31:57 AM »
jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft haha
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2015, 12:21:39 PM »
The last 45 planes I've been in, I had to jump out the door mid-flight.

Change airlines.

And thanks for your service. :salute

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain