Author Topic: Need advice on build  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Need advice on build
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 07:40:07 AM »
That has nothing to do with an article written to justify/rationalize a product purchase.  No matter what the topic is, those type of articles are idiotic.

Now, personally, right now I can buy two 4TB hard drives for the price of a 1TB SSD.  My computer boots in 9 seconds.  I cannot afford to use up a slot for such a small device as large scale storage is still my primary concern.  The marginal benefits versus the cost, just does not add up in my situation.

A lot of people depend on them to solve problems with their computer.  It is the classic, get a bigger hammer approach.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 08:04:56 AM »
That has nothing to do with an article written to justify/rationalize a product purchase.  No matter what the topic is, those type of articles are idiotic.

Now, personally, right now I can buy two 4TB hard drives for the price of a 1TB SSD.  My computer boots in 9 seconds.  I cannot afford to use up a slot for such a small device as large scale storage is still my primary concern.  The marginal benefits versus the cost, just does not add up in my situation.

A lot of people depend on them to solve problems with their computer.  It is the classic, get a bigger hammer approach.

Your computer 9 seconds, others 90 seconds. Give it up already.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 08:53:49 AM »
Your computer 9 seconds, others 90 seconds. Give it up already.

Give what up?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 10:56:29 AM »
Give what up?

Why talk about 9 second bootup times when they are not accessible to normal users without SSD?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 11:59:11 AM »
Why talk about 9 second bootup times when they are not accessible to normal users without SSD?

Because they are accessible.  Anyone with a reasonably good bit of knowledge of Windows and hardware can do it.  It's not magic.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »
Because they are accessible.  Anyone with a reasonably good bit of knowledge of Windows and hardware can do it.  It's not magic.

I'm really excited to hear now. Please tell.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2015, 04:01:33 PM »
As long as I am employee of Hitech Creations, Inc. I will not post how to do it.  The risk of a system no longer being able to boot, if a mistake is made, is too high for novices to attempt.

I figured it out.  No reason why someone else cannot figure it out.  Like I said, it is not magic.  It just takes some effort.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 04:32:30 PM »
well skuzzy you beat me by 3 secs, with my old system mine took 12 with a standard HD hehehe.
 GSakis why are you arguing this point ? personally i prefer more hd space then speed . i come home hit the start button probably takes me 30 seconds to sit down with a refreshment before i am even ready to use the computer. more then enough time for any system to boot.
   if you didnt like and are mad cause he said the article is idiotic just say so . no need to sit here and stew about it.
 here is an article and you can call me an idiot, that may tell you some of the things skuzzy did. its not rocket science. http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/speed-up-windows-boot/

and ya it tells about bla bla bla a ssd.
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 12:07:12 PM »
As long as I am employee of Hitech Creations, Inc. I will not post how to do it.  The risk of a system no longer being able to boot, if a mistake is made, is too high for novices to attempt.

I figured it out.  No reason why someone else cannot figure it out.  Like I said, it is not magic.  It just takes some effort.

Ok then, please do not refer to this solution if it's too dangerous or complicated to try. Let's stick to real world ok?

So we're back to square one, SSDs bring the speed improvement.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 12:47:45 PM »
Ok then, please do not refer to this solution if it's too dangerous or complicated to try. Let's stick to real world ok?

So we're back to square one, SSDs bring the speed improvement.

Doing anything like that is a risk to a novice with little knowledge of Windows.  Adding an SSD to Windows is a risk for the novice as well.  I chose to limit HiTech Creations exposure.  It does not mean it is not something the well versed Windows user cannot do.  Just like installing an SSD is simple for the well versed hardware guy.

I never said SSD's do not help with performance, but one has to weigh the cost performance ratio and determine if it is an option worth having.  Even if I could get away with a smaller drive, the cost/performance ratio is still not worth it to me.  I spend most of my time in applications which are not constantly reading or writing from or to the drive.

This weekend, I spent 7 hours in one application where an SSD would be a waste of money.  Most Windows applications are not disk dependent and in those cases one has to decide if it is worth the seconds you might save loading the application (I say *might* because once Windows loads an application, it will simply keep it in memory until the memory is needed for something else making the next load of that same application virtually instantaneous).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:49:18 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 07:04:54 PM »
Doing anything like that is a risk to a novice with little knowledge of Windows.  Adding an SSD to Windows is a risk for the novice as well.  I chose to limit HiTech Creations exposure.  It does not mean it is not something the well versed Windows user cannot do.  Just like installing an SSD is simple for the well versed hardware guy.

I never said SSD's do not help with performance, but one has to weigh the cost performance ratio and determine if it is an option worth having.  Even if I could get away with a smaller drive, the cost/performance ratio is still not worth it to me.  I spend most of my time in applications which are not constantly reading or writing from or to the drive.

This weekend, I spent 7 hours in one application where an SSD would be a waste of money.  Most Windows applications are not disk dependent and in those cases one has to decide if it is worth the seconds you might save loading the application (I say *might* because once Windows loads an application, it will simply keep it in memory until the memory is needed for something else making the next load of that same application virtually instantaneous).

I really like fast boot times so I tried to look for youtube or howto instructions on how to achieve a super low boot time on windows with regular hd. I didn't find any, so what you have done seems to be something very special and not something anyone could find out.

How about an anonymous tutorial somewhere? Pls??? :D

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 10:41:46 AM »
No such thing as an anonymous anything on the Internet.  Aside from that, I have no other public access method available to me.

And again, it is not magic.  Look at what Microsoft did with Windows 8 to get it to boot quicker and it will give you a clue as to where to start with Windows 7.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 12:11:19 PM »
No such thing as an anonymous anything on the Internet.  Aside from that, I have no other public access method available to me.

And again, it is not magic.  Look at what Microsoft did with Windows 8 to get it to boot quicker and it will give you a clue as to where to start with Windows 7.

I'm thinking hybrid boot is not possible for Windows 7. And no point, can just hibernate.

Offline Navy84

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 07:35:10 PM »
Got my system built!!! 75FPS with all the candy turned on and all settings maxed. I used TC's suggestion for the quad-core processor and R.A.M. but all other components are the same. Now I can get shot down in hi def!!!

LT. Navy84
VF-17 Jolly Rogers

It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from it's government - Thomas Paine

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 08:37:15 PM »
Got my system built!!! 75FPS with all the candy turned on and all settings maxed. I used TC's suggestion for the quad-core processor and R.A.M. but all other components are the same. Now I can get shot down in hi def!!!

I'm happy for you Navy84!  next thing I can offer you is to go to www.blackviper.com and study/research his suggestions for tweaking Windows 7... this will help your PC be even better

if ya need any help just holler at me or pm me

have fun!

~S~

TC

EDIT: Damn, seems blackviper's website is down or something....... I'm going to try emailing him

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:40:05 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC