Author Topic: For you military guys, whats commmando mean???  (Read 2739 times)

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
Re: For you military guys, whats commmando mean???
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2015, 07:46:30 PM »
I used to be a cop, I've saved lives, I've put bad bad dudes away in prison, I've wrestled around for my life with suspects.. I've had my share of the bravery stuff, was i military no, but it still fascinates me and that was the reason behind this thread not to make fun of anyone especially someone that has made their life being a soldier...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:03:18 PM by craz07 »
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2015, 08:07:21 PM »
We make fun of ourselves plenty! Or at least those I served with,, I'm sure cops give each other the same crap,, it just goes by a different name, or terminology!

My job description to all newbies was "inflight nuclear missile repair tech"
 I could make that last as long as I wanted.
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2015, 05:56:04 AM »
ok why didn't you post that the first time instead of posting about underwear

Cos, given half a chance, any military guy is going to go for the comedic option rather than be serious.  There's a reason only pretenders tell horrific war stories when not full of Scotch.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2015, 08:05:24 AM »
I joined the Irish army reserve when I was seventeen. I was determined to have a military career and the reserve was always seen as a good stepping stone to a full time military career. It was then called the FCA. Or 'Free Clothes Association' as the wags in the street shouted at us. The regulars called us 'sandbags' in reference to our usefulness in combat.

I  had no motivation to serve my country or anything like that. Very few of us thought like that. I just wanted a military career. I particularly wanted to fly in the military. In the end it didn't work out. Many of my comrades went on to various military careers, some became officers in the regular army, others enlisted. Some went to Britain and joined the British army, one ended up as a company commander in the British paras. At least two joined the foreign legion. Iapplied for a pilot cadetship in the Irish Air Corps. But also the RAF, RN and the British army aircorps. I even investigated joining the US army.

But of all of us I'd say most ended up in a uniformed career of one sort or other. Airline pilots, chopper pilots and cops. Even security guards. 

There seems to be a particular kind of person who chooses the military.

I simultaneously enjoyed and hated my time as a reservist. We were badly trained and poorly equipped and we knew it. But there were some interesting times. The closest we ever came to action was on border patrol. There was always a small chance we'd come across IRA types on one of their activities. But they generally avoided the Irish army. We weren't their targets.

I do regret not joining full time for a few years. A friend of mine enlisted in the Irish Air Corps as an Airman. He got to fly a lot as aircrew or passenger. He also served overseas several times and used the money he saved to become a helicopter pilot and ended up as a civilian SAR pilot flying S61s for the Irish Coastguard for a few years.

A military career can lead to great things if you work it right.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2015, 08:34:40 AM »
I tried to enlist after I was laid off from the department, but unfortunately I got into a domestic situation with an ex during that time, so that coupled with my older age turned off all the recruiters when I went calling the different branches..  I guess I should have joined when I was younger like cp but my priorities were pretty much confused when I left high school.   P.S. the layoffs were part of a huge funding crises, not due to my performance, they laid off 40 plus officers and 50 plus firefighters and you weren't coming back any time soon.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 08:53:27 AM by craz07 »

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2015, 10:56:09 AM »
I'm sorry to von messa and whoever else i may offended, i have no excuse i was just trying to keep the thread going in its original direction

Offline IamSalem

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2015, 08:51:41 AM »
Saw this today, had to share

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2015, 09:23:23 AM »
How is he pulling a wheelie with that thing is what i want to know lol....

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2015, 09:49:04 AM »
Looks like he's driving off a cliff...  :confused:
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2015, 10:03:10 AM »
One of the calls i had involved a guy with a warrant that started fighting when it came time to put the cuffs on... we ended up wrestling on the floor of a tiny project bathroom, and he pulled my taser off my belt and shot it near me...  I unholstered my sidearm to shoot him in the chest but by partner had him in a rear naked choke hold by the time i was out, and he was just limp on the ground with the now expended taser... sometimes I regret not shooting him because of the danger he caused me (getting shot in the eye etc), and still feel a lot of anger about it, sometimes I feel I could not live with myself ethically knowing i was not in serious danger at the time and only a rookie trying to get on his feet at the time.. kind of makes me mad still thinking about it.... all the same it was just part of the daily and no one cares about the daily...

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2015, 05:46:58 PM »
Means I'm free balling in my fatigues....
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2015, 05:50:20 PM »
i hope your using quality toilet paper

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2015, 06:00:38 PM »
i hope your using quality toilet paper
About a week into a 3 week field problem...that's when you stop caring about being clean...you focus more on dry.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2015, 06:07:32 PM »
LOL

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2015, 06:20:42 PM »
One of the calls i had involved a guy with a warrant that started fighting when it came time to put the cuffs on... we ended up wrestling on the floor of a tiny project bathroom, and he pulled my taser off my belt and shot it near me...  I unholstered my sidearm to shoot him in the chest but by partner had him in a rear naked choke hold by the time i was out, and he was just limp on the ground with the now expended taser... sometimes I regret not shooting him because of the danger he caused me (getting shot in the eye etc), and still feel a lot of anger about it, sometimes I feel I could not live with myself ethically knowing i was not in serious danger at the time and only a rookie trying to get on his feet at the time.. kind of makes me mad still thinking about it.... all the same it was just part of the daily and no one cares about the daily...
You've nothing to be ashamed of. You did everything required of you. Killing someone is such a remarkable responsibility. To end someone's life no matter how evil or dysfunctional they may be is a huge responsibility. It's not such of the daily' that you nearly died. I repeat you nearly died. Rookie or not you could have died. Only your partner saved you.

Your were in serious danger. The fact that your experienced partner saved the day does not reflect on you. He could have shot the guy. So could you  But both of you did your job.

Don't ever feel you you got it wrong. You did the right thing. Keep that in your mind!