Author Topic: What is the worst fighter plane in Aces High?  (Read 4399 times)

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
Re: What is the worst fighter plane in Aces High?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2015, 10:05:55 AM »
I have to say the p40c also, completely useless unless your flying against someone inexperienced
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2015, 10:33:36 AM »
Geez everyone picking on the p40. Keep in mind it was basically a pre-ww2 plane developed during relative peace and when the US wasn't necessarily planning on getting involved in the war.
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2015, 10:49:50 AM »
I would have to disagree with folks putting the Hurri 1 on the list.  Given the right pilot (Schachi comes to mind when she was flying) did very well.  It does have many flaws, it can't run from anything, it can't catch anything, the .303 round is weak, and there is the negative G issue.  But I argue if you fly it to the edge of those limits, you can be successful.  It's been a few months since I've been able to fly, but if I can avoid the gang up on the Hurri game (my personal favorite), I have done well. 

Obie
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2015, 11:29:02 AM »
Geez everyone picking on the p40. Keep in mind it was basically a pre-ww2 plane developed during relative peace and when the US wasn't necessarily planning on getting involved in the war.

Like a lot of planes, Brewster, Spitfire, Hurricane, I-16 etc. P-40 flew 2 years after 109 and Spitfire.

P-40 simply doesnt work in the MA since it has no strenght to use. A P-40N is slower than a Spit V but has a wing loading comparable to a spit XIV or a late 109G. There are simply too many better plane around.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2015, 11:49:54 AM »
C.202 is not completely useless, as my squad was able to bag a decent number of kills with it during FSO despite a lot of frustration. It flies reasonably well but the lack of hitting power is the one element that puts it near the bottom.

Incidentally the .202's stats for July might be a bit inflated due to pilots getting practice time in.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »
C.202 is not completely useless, as my squad was able to bag a decent number of kills with it during FSO despite a lot of frustration. It flies reasonably well but the lack of hitting power is the one element that puts it near the bottom.

Incidentally the .202's stats for July might be a bit inflated due to pilots getting practice time in.

Have to agree here. The 202 is one of the best fighters to dual in. It really handles well on the edge. While its not comparable to late war, I don't think the OP was looking for obvious answers like early war planes.
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2015, 12:50:12 PM »
Ok.. y'all correct me if I'm wrong, but the P40C, when flown against its time-period adversaries, doesn't fare too badly.  If flown properly, it can survive against the A6M2 ( mainly by running ) and, if not forced into a dogfight, may very well get the pilot home safely.

Now, from the the FSOs I've flown, where the planes do face their time-period foes, by far the most painful plane I've flown is the Yak 7B. That thing just sux against its counterparts. 

Is that a correct assessment?

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Grin

• Zinc Member
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2015, 12:53:15 PM »
Ok.. y'all correct me if I'm wrong, but the P40C, when flown against its time-period adversaries, doesn't fare too badly.  If flown properly, it can survive against the A6M2 ( mainly by running ) and, if not forced into a dogfight, may very well get the pilot home safely.

Now, from the the FSOs I've flown, where the planes do face their time-period foes, by far the most painful plane I've flown is the Yak 7B. That thing just sux against its counterparts. 

The trick to P-40 success, as reinforced in Frame 2 this month, is to have the numbers advantage and use Flying Tigers tactics. Boom and zoom, mutual support, NO TURN FIGHTING. 50 or so P-40E and F models is a sight to behold, and I forgot to get screenshots  :embarrassed:

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2015, 01:24:58 PM »
Which ever one you are flying when the nme saddles up on your six.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2015, 01:43:05 PM »

Yes, P-40 can survive (and be successful) against A6M since it faster. In WW2 they also did fairly well against 109E so in a EW arena it is not bad. Problem with the MA is that Slow EW planes are always in company with faster ME/LW rides and that hurt the P-40 a lot. Zekes and Brewsters (and even 109E and spit I) can compensate their slow speed by turning and catching faster planes while they are slow. The P-40 cannot turn in the same way, quite a few of the faster rides beats it in a turning contest too. Add the really crappy climb performance to that.

P-40:s in China were faster than the Ki-43 and Zekes that they met, and P-40:s high speed maneuverability outclassed the Japanese planes. So by keeping speed up they cold fight in their own terms.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2015, 03:10:04 PM »

Did some digging in the AH stats pages and tallied the kills and deaths of the eight previously mentioned aircraft.
Totals for the previous twelve months in the Late War Arena:

K/D+1

P-40C  -  .73
I-16  -  .72
P-40E  -  .7013
C.202  -  .7011
Hurri I  -  .56
109E  -  .54
A6M2  -  .45
Spit I  -  .34

Usage (kills+deaths)

I-16  -  7042
A6M2  -  4467
109E  -  3314
C.202  -  2202
Spit I  -  1940
P-40E  -  1913
Hurri I  -  1839
P-40C  -  1519

Putting aside the usual "it's the pilot, not the plane blah, blah, blah," performance in the MA is very much about the situation.

Most of the planes on the list do not have the speed to catch a cold or the fire power for a knock out punch. Meanwhile, your "buddies" on country are clearing your 12:00.

In my personal experience, the Spit I is toughest to get a kill.

GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2015, 03:19:35 PM »

I've never flown the 7B in scenarios or FSO, but I've had some decent success with it in the MA. It has the same hitting power as a Yak9 (the one with the 20mm gun package...I forget which one it is.) and is a fairly easy bird to fly. As I've mentioned before elsewhere, it's in some ways the epitome of mediocrity...it's okay at just about everything but not great at anything, nor does it have one glaring weakness that stands out like in the .202.

Maybe the 7B is more effective in MA because it faces a wider variety of opposition...some of which have weaknesses it can exploit. Against its traditional foes, (I'm assuming 109's, FW's and the like) it has disadvantages across the board.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline darkzking

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2015, 04:04:26 PM »
raynos32 Leader of the 242nd Sloppy Terminators
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
See Rule #4

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2015, 04:11:52 PM »
At D200, the P40C's gun package will kill just as quickly as 6 50cals will. P40C seems to be outclassed by most in the MA, but in a early war setting fighting its contemporary's you will find that it has many of the key attributes that the next generation of fighters would build upon (Fire power, Speed, Roll)
See Rule #4

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2015, 05:39:09 PM »
The trick to P-40 success, as reinforced in Frame 2 this month, is to have the numbers advantage and use Flying Tigers tactics. Boom and zoom, mutual support, NO TURN FIGHTING. 50 or so P-40E and F models is a sight to behold, and I forgot to get screenshots  :embarrassed:

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Just a few minutes ago, I witnessed firsthand, the awesome and fearsome utilization of a large number of hand-holding P-40 aces.  They impressed so much with brilliant tactics, superior airmanship and a flamboyant derring-do that I can no longer justify flying solo.  Clearly, there is no possible way to do anything in a P-40 without lots of friends helping to gang a single con.  I did enjoy my successful landing, btw.  Thanks for the laughs.   :cheers:

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."