Author Topic: What is the worst fighter plane in Aces High?  (Read 4400 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: What is the worst fighter plane in Aces High?
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2015, 05:55:11 PM »
I don't know why this thread is still going. The Brewster has already been listed!  :P

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2015, 06:06:08 PM »
"Brewsters must be  the most overmodeled plane i  the game." -Said by any ramdom LA jocky that just lost a turn fight with a Brewster...
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline 49Dallas

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2015, 07:08:06 PM »
Ki43, spit 1, or P40c

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2015, 07:45:19 PM »
The D3A was used in a fighter role if I recall correctly, if only a few times.  :headscratch:  I recall reading about it somewhere, but Karnak has this knowledge written into his eye's, so he'll know for sure. :D

The thing is, I've managed to get a 109F into a knife fight with my D3A, all the while having to deal with dodging 4 other con's.  Managed to shoot him down too. :D  I decided to HO a 262 in the end though.  Needless to say, it didn't go well for me. :uhoh  Though those other cons would've gotten me anyways.  So I figured, "Why the hell not?". :D

(Image removed from quote.)

WTF!!? :noid
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2015, 08:45:17 PM »
The D3A was used in a fighter role if I recall correctly, if only a few times.  :headscratch:  I recall reading about it somewhere, but Karnak has this knowledge written into his eye's, so he'll know for sure. :D

The thing is, I've managed to get a 109F into a knife fight with my D3A, all the while having to deal with dodging 4 other con's.  Managed to shoot him down too. :D  I decided to HO a 262 in the end though.  Needless to say, it didn't go well for me. :uhoh  Though those other cons would've gotten me anyways.  So I figured, "Why the hell not?". :D

WTF!!? :noid
Both the D3A and SBD were occasionally used as CAP due to insufficient numbers of A6Ms or F4Fs at times.  That doesn't make either of them fighters though, just a better fallback than the B5N or the TBD.

My best kill in the D3A in AH was a P-47N that thought he could turn fight with me.  And it was a honest shoot down, not an auger.  I shot his elevators off.

My biggest humiliation by a D3A was having one dive on my Me262 while I was climbing out.  While I managed to avoid the absolute catastrophe of being shot down by the D3A, it did take out one of my engines requiring an abrupt return to base.  So I was in an Me262 running for my life from a D3A1, quite ridiculous.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:49:14 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2015, 09:15:31 PM »
Both the D3A and SBD were occasionally used as CAP due to insufficient numbers of A6Ms or F4Fs at times.  That doesn't make either of them fighters though, just a better fallback than the B5N or the TBD.

My best kill in the D3A in AH was a P-47N that thought he could turn fight with me.  And it was a honest shoot down, not an auger.  I shot his elevators off.

My biggest humiliation by a D3A was having one dive on my Me262 while I was climbing out.  While I managed to avoid the absolute catastrophe of being shot down by the D3A, it did take out one of my engines requiring an abrupt return to base.  So I was in an Me262 running for my life from a D3A1, quite ridiculous.

I remember the SBD being pressed into the role, just wasn't overly sure about the D3A.  I've used it in the fighter role though in defense of a base when FH's were down.  It's not super bad, but definitely better than nothing.  While the A6M2-N would have a better punch in port defense, the D3A is probably a tad more nimble. :aok

I took the R wing of the 109, it wasn't an auger. :t  But it sure as hell was satisfying managing that through my predicament. :x  There was an La-7 BnZ'ing, who I was expecting to kill me.  He did take my R gear, and was making a run on me when I got the 109's wing.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2015, 09:23:51 PM »
With rare exception (109F, Spit V) the early war planes aren't going to be able to compete, 1 v 1, with the late war planes.  So, on the assumption that our Floob meant "which of the late war planes is the worst," I will nominate the FW190-A8.  I have tried, for years, to fly that competitively in 1 v 1s, and have yet to discover a way to make it work.  That hasn't been true (for me, at least) for any of the other late-war planes.

- oldman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2015, 09:38:45 PM »
With rare exception (109F, Spit V) the early war planes aren't going to be able to compete, 1 v 1, with the late war planes.  So, on the assumption that our Floob meant "which of the late war planes is the worst," I will nominate the FW190-A8.  I have tried, for years, to fly that competitively in 1 v 1s, and have yet to discover a way to make it work.  That hasn't been true (for me, at least) for any of the other late-war planes.

- oldman
If we're limiting it to late war stuff I'll put in the Me410 (if it counts as late war) as the worst.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2015, 10:19:20 PM »

- oldman

I would agree that 1v1 the A8 is very difficult to fly effectively. It is simply not a duelist's plane. It is very effective in the MA when you can BnZ and slash to your heart's content.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2015, 11:16:48 PM »
Again most 190 pilots don't know to fly them. All they do is make passes and extend. Wrong way to use a 190. 190 are very capable to stall fight if you know what you are doing. Pervert is one dude that uses it the right way.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2015, 11:34:21 AM »
The only aircraft I haven't landed 5 kills in flying one sortie in the LWA was:

Spitfire 1
A6M2
P-40C

I did score 9 kills in (single sortie or scenario event without rearm):
Hurri 1 (5 kills on Ju-87s and 4 on 109s in a scenario).
P-39D (9 kills on A6M2's in an event
P-40E (15 kills vulching)
I-16 (9 kills defending an airfield, half were auggers)
C.202 (this was a toughie; I barely managed 5 before rearming, eventually landed because the BB's were pissing me off).

Runners up:
had 5 kills in a B5N vulching a runway (dropped eggs on the runway)
had 5 kills in a D3A furballing.

Worse plane for me? A6M2 - if the wind gusts the wrong way it catches fire, I never managed to score more than 5, same for the spitfire 1 - unless I am facing extreme early war, I'd rather fly a Hurri 1.
JG 52

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2015, 03:48:18 PM »
For me, A8, what a brick. Yet I see folks landing many kills in them.

I really really like to see them high.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2015, 05:50:56 PM »
The worst fighter plane for me has got to be the B25C, that old girl handles like a brick in wet cement. But regardless I still love her.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2015, 06:55:28 PM »
For me, A8, what a brick. Yet I see folks landing many kills in them.

I really really like to see them high.

JG11 quite regularly flys them on squad night and with a wingman they can be very effective.  I have also seen Stampf time and time again in the weeds killing everything near him.  If shes loaded up with the 2 30's and 2 20's it only takes one shot to take your enemy out.

She's a wonderful bomber killer too.  Very effective at 25k and below.  When I'm hunting bombers in her I cruise around (slowly) at 27k and search for something to come within my visual range.  She's a fat girl but she sure is pretty !
Wag more, bark less.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2015, 07:11:10 PM »
It has to be the P51 or 190... They never seem to stick around to fight so there must be something to it  :P