Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2015, 12:37:44 AM »
You can't just use a key retrieval tool and reinstall when you like? That suggestion has been on the web for weeks already.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2015, 07:48:32 AM »
You can't just use a key retrieval tool and reinstall when you like? That suggestion has been on the web for weeks already.

I've read a few different articles about that Chalenge, but one still has to update their windows 7 or 8, to retrieve the key...also as MS is saying the update is tied to the specific computer hardware/build, one can still change major components and still activate their windows 10,  going off of what I've been reading...

bustr, yes I would have to buy any copies of win 10 enterprise, out right.... As for those 100 volume copies of win7 ult. x64, 38 copies went to where I worked before I was doctor forced into disability/retirement...the rest of the copies went to computers I built or upgraded for my family members and friends and to several AH members where I built and gave computers to them so they could keep playing, or play the game with better graphics and frame rate, etc...

Thank you all for your input and replys

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2015, 07:54:41 PM »
I believe it is still tied to the motherboard, based on my own experience. You can change anything else, many times even, but change that the first time and it's time to reactivate, or buy a new license.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2015, 11:44:24 AM »
I believe it is still tied to the motherboard, based on my own experience. You can change anything else, many times even, but change that the first time and it's time to reactivate, or buy a new license.
Don't know about 10, but I've successfully changed motherboards on OEM computers without no problems in reactivating. Our local Fujitsu service also had to rely on regular motherboards after the Fujitsu stock had run out of the original spare part. Again, this was way before we even thought about 10.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2015, 08:58:52 PM »
I'm not saying it will cause an issue with activation, but that you will have to reactivate. I suspect that the product key is actually embedded into the BIOS/EFI non-volatile ram, so if your HD does not find it then it triggers the reactivation routine. After so many times MS will require you to call in for reactivation, or to purchase a new product key.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2015, 09:07:48 PM »
I'm not saying it will cause an issue with activation, but that you will have to reactivate. I suspect that the product key is actually embedded into the BIOS/EFI non-volatile ram, so if your HD does not find it then it triggers the reactivation routine. After so many times MS will require you to call in for reactivation, or to purchase a new product key.

I had to call in after changing my motherboard.  It was all automated though.  Things went smoothly.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2015, 08:09:06 PM »
I understand the MS approach to pushing a free Windows version is because they cannot push updates to a single model if so many people are stuck in a years old OS. The problem I have with the new approach is not that they are 'spying' on us, but that they do not tell you when they are pushing an update. So, if you are doing something that is really intense on your system and the OS crashes, for instance, the update that is getting pushed could very well break and it may be weeks before it is corrected. How is that better? Also, MS seems to prefer the OS in a faux pristine state during update, which has meant that services that I turned off are on again, SLI is off again, and even worse the antivirus program I prefer can lose functionality (gamer mode turns off right in the middle of a game). This is hardly an improvement. I might be tempted to say it is still smoother than W7 was, but there are times when it acts like the brat from down the street.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2015, 02:09:28 PM »
Thank you for sharing your experience based knowledge, Chalenge. That verifies my worst fears to be true. And alike you, even though I've only seen glimpses of 10, the smoothness is tempting.

BTW have you noticed any major differences between the Windows Update for 10 and the latest WHQL ones provided by the hardware manufacturers? I'm referring to the case where WinUpdate wanted to 'update' the latest WHQL Nvidia Quattro driver to an older one, causing the entire video system only be capable to VGA - a major issue for a CAD reliant entrepreneur!
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2015, 08:06:54 PM »
I have not seen that since the early Windows 7 days with the Quadro 3500. MS does push their own video driver even after you update to the latest Nvidia version. If you allow MS to push theirs, then you will also install the new Nvidia driver (because NCP still reports the old driver). Once you get that updated then MS pushes their driver again. Why? I got to thinking it might be that there is something marked 'read only' on my system, but so far I cannot find anything on the net about what is causing it.

EDIT: Just found where the Quadro 3500 was not supported when Windows 10 launched either. Probably it is because the cards is so old that Nvidia no longer produces new drivers. It is interesting that it had problems coming in and going out.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 08:20:09 PM by Chalenge »

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2015, 04:03:55 PM »
I loaded Windows 10 with no issues. In fact it is now running the game better than my Windows 7, 64bit ever did. The one issue I have had is that the Alt + Tab sometimes will not take me to desktop.

It did install drivers for my onboard sound. I turned that off.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2015, 09:58:33 PM »
I loaded Windows 10 with no issues. In fact it is now running the game better than my Windows 7, 64bit ever did. The one issue I have had is that the Alt + Tab sometimes will not take me to desktop.

It did install drivers for my onboard sound. I turned that off.

Oh Lord, don't tell anyone Windows 10 actually works.

Some people are a little concerned about it...
lmao
Coogan

From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2015, 10:02:38 AM »
So far I've rolled back to 7/8 about half a dozen times, two customers having been totally happy with 10. Somehow the latter had managed to get rid of the Start menu, though, having the Start screen instead. And in the Task Bar options there was no tab for the Start menu... A quick search revealed it's a bug with no simple solution.

So, 10 actually works but getting it to work on your rig can be compared to winning in a lottery. Some win big, the majority of winners get zilch.

Kotisivuni

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2015, 07:44:46 AM »
Loaded Win10 onto a test machine, upgraded from Win7 - made sure I had valid drivers for network card, video card. No issues so far. Everything that was working before is working now (including some legacy software). Turned off all the "report back" stuff I could - guess we'll see what it reports back (got monitoring running on my unix firewall - should be interesting)

Wurz
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2015, 05:08:31 PM »
Loaded Win10 onto a test machine, upgraded from Win7 - made sure I had valid drivers for network card, video card. No issues so far. Everything that was working before is working now (including some legacy software). Turned off all the "report back" stuff I could - guess we'll see what it reports back (got monitoring running on my unix firewall - should be interesting)

Wurz

I think you'll be able to tell if it is still talking to MS servers, but not what it's saying, because I think it's sent encrypted (at least that's what the article I read said).

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2015, 08:33:01 PM »
True 715, not really worried by the content, more the data size, frequency etc that I'm interested in. Just a test machine, I dont do much with it, no banking, gaming etc, usually just use it when I'm in the mood to record something music wise - so no big deals.

I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.