Author Topic: questions about re-installing windows7  (Read 488 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
questions about re-installing windows7
« on: July 27, 2015, 12:09:30 PM »
Current specs:

EVGA GTX 760 card
Corsair (2x4gb) memory

Am replacing the video card with a EVGA GTX970, the memory with 2x8gb sticks of the same brand and type.
Also adding an AudigyFX sound card to replace the onboard sound.

I would like to do a clean re-install of windows at the same time and am wondering if there is a specific order of operations to follow.
Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: questions about re-installing windows7
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 12:57:42 PM »
As for the initial installing procedure there's lots of illustrated tutorials available. The basic procedure goes something like this:
1) Boot from the install DVD
2) Choose "Custom"
3) Delete all existing partitions, create new ones if needed or install on the emptied drive for a single partition. The process will create a small system partition, too.
4) Add license codes, names, passwords etc. when asked for.
5) If you're asked, make Windows Update download critical updates only. If you're willing to do it manually, choose that option. In any case, don't let Windows update install the Suggested updates. You can change this later, too.

The more demanding part starts here: Start by checking the BIOS settings and disable the onboard components you know you won't be using, like Floppy drive, Serial port, onboard audio (if you're replacing it anyway) etc. Also find all of the drivers you'd need. Rather than using the motherboard cd, download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's site on a memory stick.
When you can boot into Windows for the first time, install the drivers starting from the motherboard chipset, following with the video, audio etc. in the order of importance. Reboot when asked.
After getting rid of all exclamation marks in the Device Manager check that the firewall is enabled, you can also install the anti-virus at this point. After that it's time to patch your Windows. The best way would be to search information about each and every update, but the lazy way is often good enough: Download and install all critical updates.

Only after that start installing third party programs. Always do a "custom" install, uncheck every optional offer and automatic update.

Look at www.blackviper.com for hints to speed up your computer. Use your brain, too.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 04:28:29 PM »
Didn't think of the custom install, good idea.

Just to be clear, first install the new hardware and then re-install windows?

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 07:10:24 PM »
Didn't think of the custom install, good idea.

Another option is to use sysprep before shutting down and installing the new hardware. This will make your windows as if it was just installed with no hardware - but you keep your programs and settings.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 05:15:27 AM »
Yes, exactly. You don't want to have drivers of your old hardware slowing your system down. Install all hardware you're going to use and disable unneeded built-in gear in bios before starting the re-installation.

Sysprep is a nice tool, but for a one time use it'd be too much hassle for someone who has never used it. Plus a clean install will remove potentially unwanted settings.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 07:43:34 AM »
2) Choose "Custom"
3) Delete all existing partitions, create new ones if needed or install on the emptied drive for a single partition. The process will create a small system partition, too.

as Bizman posted, choose custom and delete any partitioned drives that you might not need anymore.... or use a new drive perhaps depending on which way you are going...

If you have your existing HD already partitioned 1 or more times and just want to re-use the partition that the OS is currently on, all you need to do is reformat it ( it will tell you that it will erase all files on that partition or Hard Drive )

I personally will always Format any new HD's I install or partitions I make when I am installing a new OS from scratch during this time of the setup/install, all the tools you need are there for it.... I format it then install the OS instead of just clicking install OS on this unformated drive or unformatted partition I have just created

Then once I have gone through my custom install ( which is nearly identical to Bizman's list ) I use Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/System tools/Storage/Disk Management  to manage all my Hard Drives etc....  <----NOTE-- once I have installed all my hardware drivers, etc...

it is not a necessary action to go ahead and format  the partition or New HD before installing because the OS Install will format the HD anyways, but for me it is just a habit and my preference

good call on listing blackviper's website Bizman... I recommend printing off his list of services for Windows 7 SP 1  that way you can look at them as you go through and tweak your OS install, if you are not familiar with the services, etc...

Good Luck

hope this helps

TC
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:47:33 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 09:23:07 PM »
Ran into a problem.  The usb ports on the top of my case no longer work after re-installing windows.  Everything else works and the bios says the usb controllers are working.  Device manager says the usb ports are fine.  They don't work at all, like they aren't getting power.  I used these ports to load files onto flash drives before the re-install of windows.

Any ideas, computer gurus?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 11:45:57 PM »
Check that the cables from the front usb ports are firmly connected to the motherboard. Check the other end, too, in some models they are of plug type similar to the motherboard side.

Kotisivuni

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 02:27:03 PM »
Will have to check that out, thanks.

Now there's another problem.

Tried playing AH and am seeing flashing white rectangles on the right side of the screen.  Frame rate is 59 and everything else seems normal.  Deleted the game and tried again on a fresh install and same thing.  This never happened before video card swap.

Tried out the alpha game and with v-sync disabled, got frame rates as high as 794, so I know the card works.  No rectangles at all.  Tried AH2 again and the rectangles were back.  These flashing lights will give me a migraine for sure.

Any ideas?  :pray

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 04:12:45 PM »
This is so weird.

Once again tried to play and flashing rectangles were there.  Decided to film using Shadowplay.  Tabbed out and activated it in the GeForce utility.  Tabbed back in and the rectangles were gone.  Didn't even turn on Shadowplay to record the issue.  As "the Bobs" would say: "problem solved on my end."

Some crazy goings on in the computer world.  :rolleyes:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 03:47:16 PM »
Don't you know that computers work because and by the will of female spirits?

Kotisivuni