Author Topic: Question on BBS use  (Read 606 times)

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
Question on BBS use
« on: August 20, 2015, 11:56:09 AM »
I am not really sure where to post this.  O’club or here?  It is a request for help, so I guess “Help and Support Forums » Help and Training” is correct.

This is a real question.   I have been following a topic that I find it entertaining and once in a while informative.

I just saw that someone had had their post scrubbed out with a rule #14 violation.  OK, maybe a bit over the top, but, at the end of the day, it is not my call.  What is interesting, however, is that someone else had a post that, in parts, (IMO) sort of went way over the top – it would have not surprised me if it too got scrubbed with a rule #14 violation, but the post is completely GONE.

Questions:

Do monitors sometimes just wipe out a post without an explanation/trace?

Can a poster delete his/her post so there is no trace of it?  If so is there a time limit?

Or, perhaps, another way to state it:
What is the most likely explanation for a post to vanish?

thanks in advance

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Question on BBS use
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 12:02:15 PM »
Questions:

Do monitors sometimes just wipe out a post without an explanation/trace?

It's quite rare, but has happened before.

Can a poster delete his/her post so there is no trace of it?  If so is there a time limit?

No, we can't. We can just edit it for some time (don't know exact duration, maby an hour or so)

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 12:02:30 PM »

What is the most likely explanation for a post to vanish?

thanks in advance

It belonged in an alternate universe and was helped along it's way.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 12:21:32 PM »
HTC has given the board members quite a bit of freedom and any correction action I have seen them take needed to be done.

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 01:31:58 PM »
HTC has given the board members quite a bit of freedom and any correction action I have seen them take needed to be done.

No no, I was not saying that it was right or wrong, I was asking what is possible or what is the practice.

That said, when I originally posted the question, (as a reply within the topic that I thought I saw this "vanishing" in), my post got cut with a rule 2.  "2- Threads should remain on topic, do not "hijack" topics. ".  Within that original post/question I said something to the affect that one possibility was that I was mistaken about where I saw this "vanished" post.  And in fact, I just realized that post was somewhere else, and yes, it got rule 14 struck.   :o

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 01:53:31 PM »
From the forum posting rules:

"Posts and threads may be edited, deleted, or locked for violations of these rules. Continued or blatant violation of these rules may result in a temporary or permanent ban."

We are not selective about the edit.  If any portion violates the forum posting rules, the entire post is excised.  Trying to edit a post can result in taking the post completely out of the context it was meant to be in.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 03:32:24 PM »
No no, I was not saying that it was right or wrong, I was asking what is possible or what is the practice.

. . .

I did read and understand that in the original post.  It was my bad throwing in a comment that did not follow the thread. :aok