Author Topic: SAPP Landing Practice  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: SAPP Landing Practice
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 07:15:17 PM »
You know what I asked, can you reproduce a landing like that in our game? Would make an interesting film.

You clearly haven't been paying attention Bustr as there have been numerous threads on SAPP Landing techniques posted by many different players. This one was in the general forums and was a solo landing of mine.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,255378.0.html

Here is an example from the SAPP Forum.  It's from 2008 but is a good example of the expectations we have in SAPP of the 38 drivers

Finished the night with some formation landing practice with Mensa.  Thought I'd share some of my technique with the SAPP crowd in the hopes of helping others become better at putting their 38s down with style.

Note the smooth approach, flaps and gear out, curving in on final.  Mensa looks a bit off in the background....but then again....it's Mensa.

Understand I'm trying to talk Mensa through this, and Soulyss is in the tower offering advice as well, but he's young and wants to go his own way....literally.  Note I'm down nicely, center of the runway.  Not sure what Mensa is doing.

Now that I'm down and centered, it's time for me to finish up.  Note the smooth extention of the right wing, into the runway at about 45 degrees.  This sets up the rest of the landing roll.  Mensa is apparently trying to correct, but I'm afraid it's too late.

Continuing on, I lit a fire in hopes of giving Mensa something to guide in on.  My landing roll continues.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:20:24 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 07:16:58 PM »
Now this is where I added a bit of style to the roll.  Note I've gotten airborne again as I 'tuck' the nose under.  This shows the sign of a real veteran on the landing roll.  Again, I'm not sure what Mensa is doing, but I'm hoping he'll get better at this.

Pay close attention to this part of the landing roll.  Synchronized rudder removal is a sure sign of a veteran 38 pilot.  It allows for a smoother surface to the 38 as the pilot completes his landing.  As you can see by his 38 in the background, Mensa will need continued work on this.

Finally down and safe, center of the runway.  The key is knowing when to kick the rudder and dig in the wingtip.  You too, in time can land a 38 as well as this.  But don't dispair.  It's taken me years of practice to reach this level of ability:aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 07:18:03 PM »
This one, also found in the SAPP forum is by the MIA Grizz back in 2009

Decided to attempt a perfect SAPP landing a few days ago.

Lining up for a smooth touch down...

Gotta make sure we get that gear down...it will be important towards the end of the landing...

And touchdown, a little off to the side, hopefully that doesn't cause any flips or damage...

Uh oh...

Take note of the height of the bounce...as every piece disassembles from the body of the aircraft

The elevator is still intact at least...

Oh wait, there it goes...almost stopped....

And a photo finish right side up with gear intact!

Another perfect SAPP landing.  :aok

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 01:54:34 AM »
But none of those are straight down for several thousand feet to stick the landing on touchdown. I've pulled much of what you are showing over the years by accident.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 08:30:50 PM »
This one, also found in the SAPP forum is by the MIA Grizz back in 2009

Decided to attempt a perfect SAPP landing a few days ago.

Lining up for a smooth touch down...
(Image removed from quote.)

Gotta make sure we get that gear down...it will be important towards the end of the landing...

And touchdown, a little off to the side, hopefully that doesn't cause any flips or damage...

Uh oh...

Take note of the height of the bounce...as every piece disassembles from the body of the aircraft

The elevator is still intact at least...

Oh wait, there it goes...almost stopped....

And a photo finish right side up with gear intact!

Another perfect SAPP landing.  :aok

show off.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 12:22:43 PM »
Despite the fact I rarely fly B-38's I've been so inspired over the years by Guppy's AILments (achievements in landing) that after a scenario I posted these pics which I titled:

This is when you know that...

...You've Guppied the landing

But enough with the German iron, this is one of my proudest Spit dweeb moments:

Right at the feet of my crew chief.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 12:26:27 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.