Author Topic: New processor doesn't work  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: New processor doesn't work
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 10:29:38 PM »
Well, you could replace the MB, but you have to be careful as there are many of those boards that use AGP instead of PCI-E. I would be inclined to find another system, but I know not everyone can justify that.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 10:36:31 PM »
Lol, You'd be better off asking a earth worm for advice rather than HP.
See Rule #4

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 12:22:07 AM »
Hehe, I called them once when I was helping a relative with an HP machine. All I wanted was to update the OS, but of course even a complete Windows XP disk would not install. The tech told me it was illegal to change the operating system on "their" computer. It took some time to 'fix' the drivers so they would install on the machine, but I got it working.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 01:10:17 AM »
I've concluded that it's the BIOS doesn't support the CPU. I can't install an updated version of the BIOS for reasons that I don't fully understand. I emailed HP and they never got back to me (assuming it's because they thought it was a joke).
I've noticed some obscurities in installing HP BIOS'es. Suppose you're a new victim for the flaw in their Windows based BIOS update. Did go like this: You could easily find everything from the HP site using your exact model number, including a Windows based BIOS update. No hassle with the download either. Also, double clicking the freshly downloaded BIOS normally (in the HP way) unzips the package to some location. And when the actual BIOS update program starts, THEN you get a message about not being able to find a crucial file.

If that's your problem, it's quite easy to fix. The reason is that the installer only looks for the new BIOS file in a certain location instead of the unzipped folder. Start the update procedure again, make note of the exact path where the program tries to find the file (also make sure you get the file name right) and simply copy the needed file into that location. The missing file is inside the unzipped BIOS folder.

Unfortunately I can't give you any more specific instructions, I don't have a HP under construction right now. But I've done that a couple of times, all it takes is some logical thinking and ability to read the correct path.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 09:40:59 AM »
I've tweaked a few HP towers in my day. Luckily none in the past couple of years. They tried way too hard to make proprietary components like Dell does these days. Not sure if that continues to this day, but things like taking a STANDARD USB header plug, inserting an extra row of blank, unused pins, so that no other *standard* plugs will work with their motherboards. Well.. a dremel and a cutting disc later, I got it working.

Regardless, I strongly suggest if anybody is at the point they are able to reliably swap out a CPU, change ram sticks, plug in a graphics card (all pretty basic stuff): Build Your Own! Put your own basic tower together and avoid all those proprietary attempts to rule the word that HP, Dell, and the like, are engaged in.

Just get a fresh motherboard with a standard BIOS, and standard connector plugs. You'll be happier in the long run and will be able to better upgrade in the future with less stress and less hassle.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 11:29:19 AM »
Like Krusty I find proprietary computers of many companies try to make your life hard by telling you what you should do and not.

Either build your own, or let a company or friend do it for you.

snip  Build Your Own! Put your own basic tower together and avoid all those proprietary attempts to rule the word that HP, Dell, and the like, are engaged in. snip
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 11:32:09 AM »
Besides, if you have the skills to tweak one of them you can use those same skills to build your own and end up with a better product with less hassle.

I'll never buy a ready made PC again.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 01:13:37 PM »
I'll never buy a ready made PC again.

Ditto.