Author Topic: The minimum wage machine  (Read 12706 times)

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
Re: The minimum wage machine
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2015, 08:05:21 AM »
Your picture is wrong.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2015, 08:07:42 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:27:21 AM by Skuzzy »
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 08:14:46 AM »
Because if u compare w this one:

U see that the correlation between minimum wage and unemployment rate isnt that strong at all..
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2015, 08:23:26 AM »
Really? Are you graph chart blind? You really don't see the correlations every time the minimum wage is increased? Like around '50, '55, '60, '68, '73, '90 '97 and the sharp increase at the end? The other minor increases gets drowned out in the noise.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2015, 08:27:20 AM »
I'll just throw this out there.

And this.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2015, 08:31:32 AM »
The mimimum wage increased during the late 70:s with unemployment going down at the same time. And even if the unemployment rate is affected by minimum wage raises its clearly a temporary effect.

whats confuse me is why the US seems to want to compete with third world countries in having cheap, slightly trained monkeys as their labour force. why not do as most other western countries and educate the work force and let them use their brain.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2015, 08:32:43 AM »
Zimme, you really don't see the correlation?

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2015, 08:48:23 AM »
We have a lot more people in the workforce today than we use to, we have a lot more immagrent workers, women workers, minority workers, than ever before, due to civil rights, liberty, and changes in the household.

IMO, minimum wage is hurting the core of this country badly.

1. Traditional workforce where man goes to work, can provide for family, wife stays home, man stays at company for many years, gets pension and retires, is over.

2. Poor families who have children that work to provide for the household must leave school and better eduactaion to provide for family. They get stuck in low wage jobs, cannot afford to buy education, and this creates a cycle of poor Americans stuck in a position where they cannot gain better skills, cannot move up, and don't get paid enough to support a household.

3. The theory that prices will drastically increase due to paying employees $11 an hour is not true. Prices my raise by 2-3% but that is already happening anyway. If prices increase while people cannot afford them, this stunts our growth just as much. Studies have confirmed that increasing the wage to 11 an hour would allow more people to buy goods in the Market while prices would not increase very drastically. This would cause a huge shift in consumer spending by creating a higher demand in the market, thus raising the standard of living for everyone.

4. College student loan debt is also cripiling our economy. If we have one third of students in debt, one third people who cannot afford to better their skills and get paid better, and 1/3 of people who have an education but get underemployed. We create a system where taking out loans and financing become rarities, new cars won't get bought, houses wont get financed, and expensive necessities will devalue while the majority of Americans won't be able to afford them.

5. If we don't figure out how to increase the standard of living in America for the majority of the citizens. Our country will not be the powerhouse it onces was, considering how quickly the EU and other nations are catching up to us. Businesses owners will have to sacrifice paying a little more in wages in order to keep our economy sustainable. Off shoring may be a better benifit for your company but this is precicely the problem we are facing today. If we don't benefit our own people and allow them to work for a wage they can benefit from, we devalue our own assets while becoming crippled from the inside.

I really just posted this for laughs. But it is so painfully true that it really sparks the question of peoples labor compared to the value of that labor, and what businesses owners can get away with paying them. But IMO, business owners shoot themselves in the foot as a whole if they don't pay full time workers wages that can create a higher demand in the economy.

I understand that small companies do have to pay a minimum value to employees to succeed and they should be aware of that. But my arguement is geared to multinational and multibillion dollar firms.
Just to clarify.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:58:35 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2015, 09:07:33 AM »
Don't want to post what I want to say because if I do it would amaze you guys and get me ruled on or PNG.

LAwnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2015, 09:11:04 AM »
3. The theory that prices will drastically increase due to paying employees $11 an hour is not true. Prices my raise by 2-3% but that is already happening anyway. If prices increase while people cannot afford them, this stunts our growth just as much. Studies have confirmed that increasing the wage to 11 an hour would allow more people to buy goods in the Market while prices would not increase very drastically. This would cause a huge shift in consumer spending by creating a higher demand in the market, thus raising the standard of living for everyone.

That is bogus economics. A forced increase in wages will only serve to concentrate wealth into a smaller segment of the population. While some employees get the wage raise, others get fired. While it is true that the smaller, wealthier segment of the population will then have the disposable income to spend on luxury items, the rest are reduced to begging on the streets.

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2015, 09:18:32 AM »
See Rule #2
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:33:08 AM by Skuzzy »
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2015, 09:31:42 AM »
While it is true that the smaller, wealthier segment of the population will then have the disposable income to spend on luxury items, the rest are reduced to begging on the streets.

That is happening now even with no minimum wage increases.

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2015, 09:34:43 AM »
Sure you may have to start out at minimum wage, but if you put in an honest effort and become good at what you do, you will move up and earn more money.  I know I did.  I started out working for minimum wage in high school, and now make a decent wage because I learned a skill, and became somewhat good at it.

That is a blatant lie for the most part anymore.

Nobody values hard work, and nobody wants to reward it, they only value the profits that can be made.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2015, 09:35:48 AM »
That is happening now even with no minimum wage increases.

Like I've said numerous times already, minimum wage is only one factor out of many that affect unemployment. But it does affect unemployment nonetheless.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2015, 09:38:04 AM »
That is a blatant lie for the most part anymore.

Nobody values hard work, and nobody wants to reward it, they only value the profits that can be made.

That's a very cynical view. Hard working and devoted employees are hard to come by and worth a lot. However, if your job does not require hard work or any devotion/loyalty...