Author Topic: Task Group at night  (Read 385 times)

Offline Smoke44

• Zinc Member
Task Group at night
« on: August 21, 2015, 01:45:02 AM »
For anyone that has tried finding a task group at night before the last patch, you know how much fun that was. Now it’s quite easy. This is a view from about 5k up looking at the new wakes after the sun went down. The water is quite phosphorescent. And no, those aren’t chalk marks I added. Looks like the maintenance crew used a brillo pad to get the bugs off the canopy.   :eek:

I believe Skuzzy mentioned he was going to work on the wakes some more.

And what do you do after finding the task group at night and very low on gas……………. Well, you sit back and enjoy the sunset.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
Re: Task Group at night
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 12:38:26 PM »
I watched a sunset just like that one in a Seafire yesterday.  I felt so small in the presence of all that beauty.  Even with a broken right wing and no landing gear.   :)

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 03:01:42 PM »
Maybe Waffle has been getting his inspiration from the Air Force museum's virtual 360 cockpit online tours. Their Hurri IIA is about 70 years old and the two windscreen plexi side panels are original. 70 years will make plexi look like someone used a brillo pad. The circular pattern matches the circular motions a field crewman would wipe with a rag introducing micro patterns that time exacerbated. I always thought when we spawned we got an aircraft that was slightly younger than 70.

The scratch pattern file could have the pattern reduced a bit since the light effects seem to blow the pattern out of proportion.

By the way, that MKII gunsight is one of the rarest. It is a night fighter gunsight MKII N. The single ring on the base is to open and close a cover internally that changes a 100Mil ring and dot to three dots horizontally oriented.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 03:18:12 PM »
Good point about the plexi aging. Then again, I seem to have to renew the windscreen of my car every 100000 kilometres or so, mostly due to sanded roads in wintertime, with some marks from windshield wipers and ice scrapers. Mind you that not every airfield had tarmac during WW2.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 03:34:28 PM »
Some diatoms (little  bitty sea creatures) do make phlorescent sparkles when disturbed by ship wakes.  Not that much! but the cool chalkboard playbook look is hilarious.  Someone also told me that once their vehicle actually sunk and they saw bubbles  :rofl

I think someone (s) has a fun sense of humor  :neener: at HTC and has been having fun with us until they have finished working on those areas.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 04:04:41 PM »
Some unhappy baby seal, then some grouchy old veteran player are going to get clubbed because the light response with those scratches will hide a con attacking them. Then the whines will be legion. And yes there is a check box that will lower the light effect some. But, if a player's video card can do the full monti, why tell them to put a wet towel over the dancer?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 04:31:04 PM »
Some unhappy baby seal, then some grouchy old veteran player are going to get clubbed because the light response with those scratches will hide a con attacking them. Then the whines will be legion. And yes there is a check box that will lower the light effect some. But, if a player's video card can do the full monti, why tell them to put a wet towel over the dancer?

Same as it ever was.  It's extremely common for gamers to reduce eye candy to simplify what they're looking at so they can be more effective.  Happened all the time in WBs.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Smoke44

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 06:18:59 PM »
Here’s a pic and an attached film of the sinking jeep that Chilli was speaking of above.  :aok

From the internal view in the film it seems like you are looking up toward the surface of the water at times, when in the bobbing/rolling action, while sinking.

In the external view, zoomed out a bit and the view set right down close to the water level, you see the jeep heading for the bottom and bubbles heading for the surface.

The thing that precipitates the jeep acting like a sub full of holes is when you do something desperate, and I'm not gonna tell what that is yet!  :neener: Up until that point in time you just sit there bobbing in the water.   (Pretty sneaky by the guys in the backroom.)

This action occurs about 40 seconds into the film.

Love the water surface, great job by the guys in the back room.   :banana:

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 09:24:49 PM »
I'm hoping the evening/night fights will re-appear in the arenas again. 

One thing I haven't seen...will we get clouds back?

My game pc is dying a slow death so i haven't been able to download the alpha to try

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 09:23:15 AM »
LePaul,

Yes, clouds are looking amazing in Alpha.  Don't be rash and rush to an upgrade for alpha.  There have been several good threads already to help folks make decisions, and good reasons why a bad decision might cost you bucks without the desired result. 

In other words, plenty of "brand new" costly graphic cards, OS, game systems, etc. are out there that don't deliver.  Be very familiar with manufacturer nomenclature (some new cards are not as good for certain alpha requirements as several year older models).  Newer is not always Better.

As far as the night time fights in the Main Arena, I would not count on it for any length of time.  The novelty of crashing your plane into darkened structures, seas, or terrain seems to wear off pretty quickly when there is a penalty of "game perks" associated with it.  A number of custom setups and special events could however "shine" with the realism added, which shows the length that staff goes for development of areas that are not even in their bread and butter subscription interests.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 09:11:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply...

I know way too much about hardware and piecing together a system for my own good.  I'm just seldom home long enough to focus on one thing!  I've been busy with 3D printing, CNC work and various events with my R2-D2 (see signature)...so maybe once the cooler weather hits, I'll piece a rig together and get back into the virtual skies   :cool: