Author Topic: The Strategic Dominance Gaming Theory Book of Aces High  (Read 23567 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: The Strategic Dominance Gaming Theory Book of Aces High
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2015, 06:37:49 PM »
No Dale.

I'm simply saying in my experience the best pilots I've flown against are better than the current lot of "best" pilots as judged by KOTH results, comments on 200, BBS, and PMs by a wide margin.  It's not even close.  I'm not challenging Aces High II's manhood" or what it has to offer.  I can only make a personal judgement on what I've experienced.  You chose to read excessively into my post by assuming I meant "forever" and that I meant there are no "best pilots" left.  Why you would decide to waste your time on my opinion is curious though.

But since you brought it up, I actually think the "good old days" were years prior to my arrival.  What do I base that on?  The voices and stories of the people that flew then.  Not on their skills.  Their stories sound like the game was much more fun than how the game plays today.

While I realize we all have our tinted glasses to our olden days in the game, I think there is some truth in what you are saying.  I think there was a time where the game was the catalyst for a lot more things than just winning the map.  What the "community" was a different world than it is now
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline darkzking

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2015, 08:00:57 PM »
See Rule #6
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:44:31 AM by Skuzzy »
raynos32 Leader of the 242nd Sloppy Terminators
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
See Rule #4

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2015, 08:24:33 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

It seems our boy Latrobe has struck a sensitive issue with Aces highs premier self proclaimed autistic savant.

*snicker* Truly in the spirit of competitive video gaming *snicker*  :aok
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:29:13 PM by glzsqd »
See Rule #4

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2015, 09:32:29 PM »
You guys are still going at this?! Lol Slowbies

I'd love to say I miss you guys but I'm too busy getting my edumacation so I can grow up and make that ChangeUp money :)

=S=

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2015, 10:14:13 PM »
You guys are still going at this?! Lol Slowbies

I'd love to say I miss you guys but I'm too busy getting my edumacation so I can grow up and make that ChangeUp money :)

=S=

You got that right.  No 5 O'clock hitters make Changeup money and you a 5 O'clock hitter ;)
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2015, 10:48:20 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:25:49 AM by hitech »

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2015, 12:20:48 AM »
You got that right.  No 5 O'clock hitters make Changeup money and you a 5 O'clock hitter ;)
:)

FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2015, 01:20:25 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:45:10 AM by Skuzzy »
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2015, 01:27:46 AM »
I don't know who Mos Eisley is but this is bordering on cyber bullying.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2015, 01:49:33 AM »
According to this logic the better pilots left the game long before grizz and batfink started playing.

HiTech
In my opinion the population of ba dass players peaked around 2002. Seemed like there was one in every sector. Even I was better back then, let that sink in. I was more competetive, abrasive and arrogant back then, hence my old handle. Concerned with dueling ladder standings and all that jive. Then I got medicated and I realised how dumb all that toejam was. Got in shape, got a vasectomy. Now Im laying pipe in fresh fields on a regular basis. I still play aces high once in a while now but I keep it casual.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2015, 05:52:42 AM »
Flying for score is as legitimate a reason to play this game as any.  It can be very competitive to optimize your flying to push the formulas that calculate score to the limit.  Cheers to those committed to high scoring!  :salute

Equating score to skill at ACM is what causes much of the friction.  Latrobe's book is pure brilliance in covering many of the facets of this phenomena.

Its just too much fun to shoot down an LA7 in a P-40 and the like for me to ever fly for score.  Especially against those that tout their scores as proof of their ACM abilities.  I fly for pure fun and silliness.  :rock
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:27:00 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2015, 09:08:07 AM »
I was around long before you were and I can count on my hands how many times I encountered Grizz in the MA...

Love to hear how you fought him so much lol

I have fought Grizz thousands of times and won most of them.

In AirWarrior when he was 15 years old
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2015, 10:17:14 AM »
Flying for score is as legitimate a reason to play this game as any.  It can be very competitive to optimize your flying to push the formulas that calculate score to the limit.  Cheers to those committed to high scoring!  :salute

Equating score to skill at ACM is what causes much of the friction.  Latrobe's book is pure brilliance in covering many of the facets of this phenomena.

Its just too much fun to shoot down an LA7 in a P-40 and the like for me to ever fly for score.  Especially against those that tout their scores as proof of their ACM abilities.  I fly for pure fun and silliness.  :rock

My sig
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2015, 10:58:32 AM »

I wish! That means I'd be making overtime!

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2015, 11:02:01 AM »
Oh and send my regards to the Mrs err i mean Triton