Author Topic: to keep or not too keep  (Read 651 times)

Offline shermanjr

• Copper Member
to keep or not too keep
« on: September 10, 2015, 09:16:47 PM »
i got a 71 el camino that i blew the motor in a 305 and a th 350 and a 79 k10 that i have too. i blew the th 350 i have in that, and thats got a 350 bored 30 over. i dont have the money to rebuild the tranny for the truck and a engine swap. the car is pretty much stock and the truck is sitting on a 5 inch lift with 35s cant make up my mind wat to keep and what to sell lol
475th fg dgs
404th fighter group Winter SKy Deth ground
361 st fg
1st pursuit squadron avg
+flyingfury+ main arena
in game name pattonjr

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
Re: to keep or not too keep
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 09:26:41 PM »
Pics would be useful, but it really comes down to what you'd rather have, a cool street car or a big truck.  If it was me the 350 out of the truck would go into the El Camino, I'd attach a rope to the 305 and sell it as a boat anchor.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 10:34:05 PM »
Sell them both and buy a used civic or something else that won't break down all the time.

Seriously, write down what you want a car for.  If its a hobby to fiddle with, keep whichever one you have to fiddle with the most.  If you need to haul stuff or drive in the mud all the time, you need a truck.  If its just a car get to work and back, get whatever is cheap and needs the least maintenance (ie. fiddling).
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline shermanjr

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 10:37:07 PM »
really my fault on both dont beat the piss outa both within a week of breaking one lol but idk how to post pics on here
475th fg dgs
361 st fg
1st pursuit squadron avg
+flyingfury+ main arena
in game name pattonjr

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 05:44:17 AM »
I'd sell the el camino and sell the K10 to me  :D   

Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Xtrepid

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 06:54:10 AM »
Sell them both and buy a used civic or something else that won't break down all the time.

Seriously, write down what you want a car for.  If its a hobby to fiddle with, keep whichever one you have to fiddle with the most.
 If you need to haul stuff or drive in the mud all the time, you need a truck.  If its just a car get to work and back, get whatever is cheap and needs the least maintenance (ie. fiddling).

This...  :aok

The Camino shell in decent shape (dependent on where you live) is worth 3-6k.

X  :salute

SHOOT TO THRILL
"We don't hide crazy... we just put it on the front porch and give it a drink"

Offline shermanjr

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 10:46:54 AM »
well being in the military gives me little time to fiddle and we dont get paid worth a damn, but i am getting out in a year and will be doing hvac or tin nockin which pays alot more and i bought the elky in cali so its had a nice dry place to live for the past 35 years and now is in nc
475th fg dgs
361 st fg
1st pursuit squadron avg
+flyingfury+ main arena
in game name pattonjr

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 01:08:32 PM »
I would keep the truck because I hate crawling around under tight places anymore, semi-monster trucks are easy to work on, more fun to drive, peeps tend not to tailgate as much also too.

Civics are very practical but boring.......HVAC will require hauling some crap (tin) around from time to time, although you could make the camino a work car/truck thing whatever it really is, not sure if camnios have ever been DNA tested.
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 01:50:54 PM »
If it was my only vehicle, I would keep the K10 because I need a 4x4.  The ElCamino is worth more and they will be worth a lot more in 10 -15 years when there are even fewer of that body style around.  The Chevelles and Malibus with that front end are really climbing in price.  If the ElCamino is decent, it would pay to sell it running if you did the work yourself.  A $2K crate motor would likely get you more than $2k more in selling price.  If paying someone else to do the motor, it would probably be a wash so selling it as a roller would be easier.

AMAX  in game

Offline shermanjr

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 06:00:23 PM »
ya i mean i could do the work on base at the hobby shop but thats a lil above my expertice and i would be spending around 300 or so for a sb and where its at now for 3k but i dont have that kind of money at this current time and the elky means more to me because it was my first car and have alot of memories with it but the k10 is ganna be cheaper to fix
475th fg dgs
361 st fg
1st pursuit squadron avg
+flyingfury+ main arena
in game name pattonjr

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 08:56:24 PM »
If the Elky means more to you then keep it, in the long run I see that being a more valuable vehicle than the truck even without the sentimental value.  Those early Elcos are actually not bad looking at all for a frankentruckamajig, and they're probably one of the last cars of the muscle car golden age that haven't gone through the roof in price yet.  It's gotta ride nicer and do better on gas than a truck on 35's, plus you can still haul stuff if need be. Swapping one carbureted small block for another isn't exactly rocket science, you just need a friend with a cherry picker and a little bit of experience.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline STXAce8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 09:35:51 PM »
Putting in a motor really isn't a big deal. I'd say put that 350 in the el camino and sell the truck as a roller or give them the option to take the blown stuff with it. Do you really know the 305 is blown though? If its not something on the bottom end and its just not starting it's totally fixable.
ZLA- Don't Focke Wulf Us!
Ingame: Batz
Kommando Nowotny
Its over the top as Fack

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 10:00:06 PM »
El Camino is going to be in demand long after the pick up.  71 is the last of the great ones.  72 got a bit off in the grill/headlight and hit in the smog control area but still nice, 73 just got fat and smogged heavy and started the downfall.
In my opinion of course.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:04:49 PM by ROC »
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline shermanjr

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »
i may just tough it out and fix both
475th fg dgs
361 st fg
1st pursuit squadron avg
+flyingfury+ main arena
in game name pattonjr

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 03:56:18 PM »
Keep it!

I used to have the German version: the VW Rabbit pickup, '82, diesel, 4-spd. The thing handled like it was on rails. Top speed: 70, wound out.

I regret selling it.
Game handle: HellBuck