Author Topic: Waffle the ship builder  (Read 16858 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re: Waffle the ship builder
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2015, 12:04:20 PM »
You also know what would be really cool? If you had a launchable float plane that when upped it would expand the radar for the ship firing control map to include enemy ship positions and put them on the map so the battleship gunners could target them like they did in real life before radar got good enough to plot them individually.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2015, 12:12:06 PM »
Looks good.  :aok

I see you included the orange caps on the gun barrels as required by New York and California.  :bolt:

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2015, 02:14:35 PM »
   I have a wish my griddled friend.  Because of the range of the guns, could bases/towns start flashing now when shells from a ship land on the terrain tile they sit on?  It is already easy with the cruiser, but with the battleship guns, you can level everything and the field would never flash, like now.  That's not realistic.  If big ol' shells were landing on the field/town, I think the base would stop picking daisies and go on alert.  If this isn't implemented, players are going to do this continuously.  Hell, I've done it many times with the cruiser.  You can level a base/town without the other side having any idea it's happening. :salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2015, 03:09:43 PM »
How about if the base flashes for say a minute after any object on it or associated with it (town building, sb etc.) is destroyed?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:29:34 PM by Greebo »

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2015, 03:25:35 PM »
Sounds good. :aok
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2015, 04:16:51 PM »
I agree, no more stealth bombardments.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2015, 04:20:10 PM »
So long as the base flashes to indicate it being shelled in general.  I thought it weird that it didn't do this when being shelled. :headscratch:

To add on to Greebo's idea: If the town is hit, regardless if an object is destroyed, it flashes after 1 minute has passed.  If the field itself is hit, it flashes 30 seconds later, if not immediately.

As for our Iowa, I sure hope those fire control towers will be usable, both for the main batteries and the secondaries. :D
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2015, 05:32:28 PM »
Just what we need yet another "late war" addition.....  :old:  :D
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2015, 05:40:19 AM »
The Iowa was operational in early 1943 so in AH terms its a "mid war" addition.......  :old:    :D

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2015, 12:22:27 PM »
From our MA perspective, does anyone have ideas on how effective this addition will be to how we use CV groups? Waffle is showing it to us but, we have no information on how it will be enabled in the MA. So hopping over the enabling mechanism, when it is, will it destabilize our form of CV warfare or become the largest ocean going bomber target in the history of the game?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2015, 01:02:21 PM »
Waffle you ole Dry Dock Magician!  Welders must have been working day and night!   :aok

Over concerns of task group warfare, Would Admiral HTC give us separate groups with Battleships and destroyers only, not capable of landing troops or launching planes?  and more than one task group per port......   :banana:

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2015, 01:20:09 PM »
In some respects durability is going to depend on how HTC choose to model it but for what its worth the Iowa class had 12 inches of deck armour to our current Baltimore class cruiser's three inches. Currently the cruiser takes 2K of bombs to sink and the CV 8K but that is likely based as much on game play considerations as any statistical analysis of armour and damage control. From both a game play and realism POV I'd expect the AH battleship to take a lot more punishment than the CV, 16K or more would be reasonable IMO.

The Iowa's 16 inch AP shells each weighed 2700 lb as opposed to 335 lb for the Baltimore class cruiser's 8 inch ones. Muzzle velocity was similar and both ships had nine guns so the Iowa ought to be about eight times more effective per salvo. I'd expect the cruiser to have a higher rate of fire though. The 16 inch guns had a maximum range of over 23 miles as opposed to 17 for the eight inch.

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2015, 07:50:08 PM »
The Iowa was operational in early 1943 so in AH terms its a "mid war" addition.......  :old:    :D

1943 ??? pffffffffff The war was all but won by then!  :neener:

The HMS Warpsite would have been a much more palatable choice old man. :aok
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2015, 11:30:33 PM »
Maybe we'll get a more detailed damage model on the ships. :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2015, 04:04:45 AM »
Maybe we'll get a more detailed damage model on the ships. :headscratch:

or Tug Boats docked at the port, gangway attached to ships docked, and a Mazeratti for Christmas........ :bolt:

but I will settle for what I have seen  :D

PS  That sure looks like a radar antenna........ hint .... hint......