Author Topic: Help.  (Read 1269 times)

Offline 800nate800

• Nickel Member
Help.
« on: September 20, 2015, 01:31:16 PM »
I just got around to downloading the Alpha and it doesnt load for me. just right when it opens it goes to a white screen and says ahalpha.exe has stopped.
former squeaker, but you wont 1v1 about it
Most my friends are banned......
Kommando Nowotny

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Help.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 02:28:28 PM »
post a dxdiag, you might not have enough computer to run it.

Offline 800nate800

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 03:31:54 PM »
Display Devices
---------------
        Card name: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
     Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
        Chip type: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
         DAC type: Internal
       Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2772&SUBSYS_7201107B&REV_02
   Display Memory: 256 MB
 Dedicated Memory: 0 MB
    Shared Memory: 256 MB
     Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
          Monitor: Generic Non-PnP Monitor
      Driver Name: igdumd32.dll
   Driver Version: 7.14.0010.1587 (English)
      DDI Version: 9Ex
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/20/2015, 16:30:17
       Machine name: NATES-PC
   Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Basic (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.150312-1556)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: emachines
       System Model: W3623
               BIOS: Default System BIOS
          Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
             Memory: 2036MB RAM
          Page File: 1721MB used, 2602MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode
Kommando Nowotny

Offline Mitchell

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 04:22:55 PM »
You need a dedicated video card for the alpha. Your onboard graphics doesn't have enough memory.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 04:48:16 PM »
That looks like a laptop with 2GB of memory shared with the onboard video and a P4 processor. Yes?
If so, I think it's way below minimum requirements now.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 800nate800

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 05:00:09 PM »
That looks like a laptop with 2GB of memory shared with the onboard video and a P4 processor. Yes?
If so, I think it's way below minimum requirements now.
its a Desktop.
Kommando Nowotny

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 06:28:17 PM »
its a Desktop.
That may be, and I'm very sorry for your lose.
Here's hoping you can upgrade soon.

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 06:36:11 PM »
Your telling me a 300 dollar computer from 8 years ago aint gonna cut it?

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 07:05:21 PM »
Of course it will. I use one just about like that for notepad and Word 2003.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 07:48:39 PM »
Okay Nate,

From my past experiences with eMachines, they have been easy to upgrade.  Your W3623 model appears to be one.  Before you do anything, consider this:

You have a 480 watt power supply (should be good enough, but be certain it can handle any new GPU you choose to purchase one).

You have PCI E x 16 (great, all that is needed, but be sure that you have room for your card some of them, but not all, actually take up 2 slots)

Vista may not recognize over a certain amount of RAM (if you upgrade from 2 gig, I am not certain of the maximum w/ Vista*) 
*Please verify or check, as I am not certain.

As a result of reading through many discussions, it appears that DDR5, over DDR3 RAM on your GPU makes a distinguishable difference in performance.

Offline 800nate800

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 09:23:37 PM »
Your telling me a 300 dollar computer from 8 years ago aint gonna cut it?
i kinda knew it was time lo. but see i cant really afford anything right now.
Kommando Nowotny

Offline 800nate800

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 09:24:15 PM »
Okay Nate,

From my past experiences with eMachines, they have been easy to upgrade.  Your W3623 model appears to be one.  Before you do anything, consider this:

You have a 480 watt power supply (should be good enough, but be certain it can handle any new GPU you choose to purchase one).

You have PCI E x 16 (great, all that is needed, but be sure that you have room for your card some of them, but not all, actually take up 2 slots)

Vista may not recognize over a certain amount of RAM (if you upgrade from 2 gig, I am not certain of the maximum w/ Vista*) 

As a result of reading through many discussions, it appears that DDR5, over DDR3 RAM on your GPU makes a distinguishable difference in performance.
yeah but instead of upgrading this thing. i just need something new
Kommando Nowotny

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 12:28:54 AM »
Well, let me know if you do.  I think I could do wonders with that machine.  Like I said, she ain't all that bad, if you were able to get rid of Vista, and add some more RAM (but you would have to do both).  I already have a double slot card if it will fit.

$$$ for another rig, but onboard GPU most likely won't cut it.  I don't even know if you can buy desktops anymore that are not custom builds that have an actual graphics card?  <<<<  I am not an expert, just haven't seen any where I bargain shop.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 01:19:09 AM »
I wish more people knew the difference between CPU graphics and GPU graphics. Adam and Jamie tried to get the word out, but not everyone has caught on yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P28LKWTzrI
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 01:50:13 AM »

Hummmm... Mostly correct but with some caveats:

1) Although the PSU claims to give 480 watts, it's old and not performing as a new one any more. More important, it most likely doesn't support modern video card, i.e. it lacks the plugs needed. Y-cables might work but they also might drive the PSU past its limits.

2) The two slot requirement for a video card isn't the only problem. Many cards are so long that they don't fit in between the back plate and hdd cradle.

3) About Vista's capability to handle memory: It doesn't say 64 bit anywhere, so it's 32 bit. Any 32 bit operating system can only handle 4 GB at the maximum and even that isn't fully usable. The key word is bit depth and from there on it's purely mathematics.

4) Yes, GDDR5 is much faster than DDR3. It's designed for Graphics... The techies talk about buses, but for me a bus is a multi person car. My explanation for ordinary people is, that if the data were like water, a 3/4" hose will fill your bucket much faster than a 1/4" hose with the same pressure level.

@800nate800:
yeah but instead of upgrading this thing. i just need something new
You're absolutely right. The only thing you might want to do just for fun, is to install a video card if you can get it for free. A card without extra power inputs would be the safest choice. But before starting to plan this route any further, check that there actually is a pci-e 16x slot on the motherboard! I've seen some e-Machines having just two rows of solder spots instead.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni