Author Topic: clouds and terrain  (Read 781 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: clouds and terrain
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »
Wonder if there are differences in how NVIDIA and AMD address this processing of light and the haze.

Over my house today is a thin cloud layer. When I look into the sun, there is an eye blinding whiteout that fills my field of vision not quite to the whole periphery. The real world is much vaster than the game world. In the real world I can turn my eyes slightly away from the sun and regain clarity of cloud details along with seeing clearly aircraft as they fly over. Hitech's rendering of this real world effect is very accurate to what it does to your eyes, it's just too vast in size for the size of the arena world.

In the real world even if you are flying into the sun, you can look a bit to the side, even hold your thumb over the sun to alleviate the white out effect on your eyes. In the alpha world, you have to change direction into another quadrant and just accept part of your sky is whited out in blazing detail. At this time, or turn of post processing for a kinder gentler sun. Turning off bloom makes the white out area slightly smaller.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 04:04:06 PM »
Is this what others are seeing?  Notice the compass direction.  I can check for the time of day, but it is nowhere near sunset, I can tell you that.  Realistic sun is one thing.  But I don't expect to get sunburn....   :cry 

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 06:04:55 AM »
The nice little addition that auto darkened the view when looking into the sun, seems to have been taken away  :headscratch:

I really enjoyed that feature............... will it return?  or am I just seeing things differently?  :confused:

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 02:12:41 PM »
Yup, if you look into the sun your eyes white out until you look slightly away. In your screen shot, that's the white out, but it's a picture of what your eyes see as if you are watching a film of the process being approximated. You have to turn away from the film's projection area to see other things that are being shown clearly. Maybe in the future when your retina is being tracked instead of TR or view keys, and our computers are the size of a wrist watch and as powerful as 100 mainframes. Then real time visual effects based on superior knowledge of how the eye works will be the norm.

Or the game will be direct stimuli and we think we are completely in that world. And then the only game guys will be playing won't have other guys in it.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 08:51:20 AM »
Bustr,

HiTech must have built a time machine, because in at least one patch of alpha the sunlight effect was working as if pupils were constricting  :cool: and then dilating  :O when not looking at the sun.  I no longer get that effect  :(

I was over the moon  :x when I first saw that, and I am pretty sure that many, many current players would be also if that were to occur in the final AH3 version.  :pray

In the meantime, the sun and "permanent" haze are my largest concern for an improved game play  :joystick: environment.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 10:54:38 AM »
Bustr,

HiTech must have built a time machine, because in at least one patch of alpha the sunlight effect was working as if pupils were constricting  :cool: and then dilating  :O when not looking at the sun.  I no longer get that effect  :(

I was over the moon  :x when I first saw that, and I am pretty sure that many, many current players would be also if that were to occur in the final AH3 version.  :pray

In the meantime, the sun and "permanent" haze are my largest concern for an improved game play  :joystick: environment.

If you have posting lighting on, the effect is still there. I did slow it down a few versions ago.

Also to test have something very dark fill your screen for a while, then look back at the sun.

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 01:29:39 PM »
Hitech makes the big sacrifice and gives us a real world visual effect because we have spent 15 years whining at him about realism and immersion, what do we do........ :huh

I have a 3000ft mountain across from the Golden Gate bridge I can go to the top and watch clouds, weather effects, and sunset\sun rise on the Pacific and from the east bay. I see Hitech's haze and sun effects. The effect is excellent for the real world, the Alpha real world is a smaller sphere than the sphere we live in. It's an "Excellent" over powering real world effect at this point.

We have only so much peripheral vision dependent on how much money we can afford to spend on our monitor. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing