Author Topic: Silk Thread Gasket  (Read 787 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Silk Thread Gasket
« on: October 03, 2015, 10:31:48 AM »
I was watching a "How it is Made" episode this morning the featured the assembly of a 4 cylinder, Lycoming, aircraft engine.  They used a single silk thread with a sealing brushed on as the gasket between the upper and lower block housing.  I thought that was neat and thought it was interesting enough to post.

Silk thread has also been used on Porsche block halfs.

http://www.lycoming.com/Portals/0/techpublications/serviceinstructions/SI%201125D%20%2810-17-2008%29/Alternator%20Crankcase%20Parting%20Surface%20Sealants.pdf

In researching the history of silk thread gasket I found this 1932 Popular Science article that had some neat tricks of the day.

https://books.google.com/books?id=FygDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA70&lpg=PA70&dq=silk+thread+gasket&source=bl&ots=xof_L4OSb3&sig=AG5uAJTvUWXlvRgsuEWHQ8OG6a4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CMkBEOgBMBpqFQoTCIKMuZDKpsgCFQUXPgod7zsMlg#v=onepage&q=silk%20thread%20gasket&f=false

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
Re: Silk Thread Gasket
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 10:54:29 AM »
Thanks for sharing, neat stuff.

Old Popular Science mags have some of the coolest "stuff of the future" artwork around.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 12:02:49 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the find.

There seems to be two different opinions on the use of the silk thread.  One suggest it is a barrier and the other suggest it is a spacer.

So far I have not found the origin of using a silk thread as a gasket.  My WAG is it goes back to beginning of the use of shellac as a gasket sealer.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 04:04:27 PM »
In an emergency if you have to sew yourself up, use silk thread instead of cotton. Cotton will grow bacteria and cause an infection. You can also use your wife's or hippy son's long hair strands to tie down the oil pan gasket.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.