Author Topic: mic issue  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: mic issue
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 04:25:08 PM »
Did you disable the HDTV HDMI audio option from the Nvidia Control Panel?

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2593
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 07:07:13 PM »
Did you disable the HDTV HDMI audio option from the Nvidia Control Panel?

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2593

ja m8, Done it all but do a clean install of OS.

Did you see the pic where I was able to revert to DVI/no audio, using the reg edit in link. Unfortunately it did not reset windows to allow analog devices/use analog jacks.

OS was installed with an HDTV dsub connect, strictly analog, originally. Now same install but different card, different HDTV. Reports to OS nothing but digital capabilities of port. The TV now has no dsub port.   Its done with a specific dvi>hdmi dongle which registers as a PC input. I just went HDMI not knowing. Now windows has compensated for the fact that nothing associated with the hdmi ports is analog, windows ignores the 3.5mm jacks because they are unnecessary for hdmi.
Now that its flipped digital, that's all it will do. I just wanted to use the mic, I been using since 2005.

See pic, its with the front panel detection disabled. That's the way the port looks whether mic plugged or not. pegged, no mic works.

There has got to be a way to re enable the windows OS for analog jacks. I reinstalled all realtek drivers while the NVidia panel showed a dvi/pc connection. I removed all realtek, then reinstalled lastest from gigabyte waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a........ :bhead

I keep banging my head cause some others will be getting new cards, maybe they still use analog hardware like me.
Need a usb digital mic I guess. Gigabyte has a beta bios that's states for better audio efficiency, but I will not do that without a clean install of whole mess.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:16:54 PM by MADe »
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 08:24:03 PM »
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 08:59:28 PM »
You won't like it. Radio Shack used to have an ASIO compliant mic for about $20, but RS has been having problems lately. I have not checked their stock.

What I see when I look at your attachment is a digital feed into an analog device. I am not absolutely sure that is what is happening, but. . .

I used to bang my head against the wall too. Then I decided that going cheap on audio was just wasting my time, so I bought an actual interface and it never fails me. USB audio will always cause problems that I have outlined repeatedly. NVidia audio from the GPU is not really much better, especially with games like AH that is so dependent upon system resources.

The whole problem with audio is that we users think of it as being an important asset. Microsoft and PC makers think of it as the least important, and so all other resources are assigned more importance than audio. The first thing that gets put on hold on your PC will be audio. You can improve the wait time by removing all of the system load that audio places on the CPU (there will always be some small amount). The nuclear option is a firewall interface. Failing that is an actual audio card, or USB interface (not the same as a USB audio adapter, or dongle), then GPU audio and some better onboard solutions, and finally the cheap USB dongles/adapters and lesser onboard chips.

So, what I'm saying is you're going backwards, instead of forwards.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 02:19:43 AM »
The nuclear option is a firewire interface.

Fixed.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 02:20:02 PM »
I just remembered this,

The only other thing I can suggest is to try a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter as I haven't noticed any integrated graphics using a DP connection on any mobos (which gets around Windows having any native drivers to set up) & so Windows may not interfere w/ it. I have noted this behavior on my box as when I initially swapped out the DVI cable on my box to HDMI cable I had to disable the HDMI sound connection that Windows made active before I could get the sound\mic back thru my SB Zx card but when I swapped out the HDMI cable to DP I had no such issue as I found no instances of Windows trying to set up a DP connection within itself but DP can carry video & sound signals like HDMI can which indicates to me that DisplayPort protocol is between the vid card & monitor only. I could be wrong here but................can't hurt to try...............

I did some research on this comment of mine & according to what I've read this won't fix your issue either as Windows will treat DisplayPort as HDMI as far as the audio is concerned & will show up as a HDMI connection................... ...

So forget what I said.....................

:salute

Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 05:23:05 PM »
You won't like it. Radio Shack used to have an ASIO compliant mic for about $20, but RS has been having problems lately. I have not checked their stock.

What I see when I look at your attachment is a digital feed into an analog device. I am not absolutely sure that is what is happening, but. . .

I used to bang my head against the wall too. Then I decided that going cheap on audio was just wasting my time, so I bought an actual interface and it never fails me. USB audio will always cause problems that I have outlined repeatedly. NVidia audio from the GPU is not really much better, especially with games like AH that is so dependent upon system resources.

The whole problem with audio is that we users think of it as being an important asset. Microsoft and PC makers think of it as the least important, and so all other resources are assigned more importance than audio. The first thing that gets put on hold on your PC will be audio. You can improve the wait time by removing all of the system load that audio places on the CPU (there will always be some small amount). The nuclear option is a firewall interface. Failing that is an actual audio card, or USB interface (not the same as a USB audio adapter, or dongle), then GPU audio and some better onboard solutions, and finally the cheap USB dongles/adapters and lesser onboard chips.

So, what I'm saying is you're going backwards, instead of forwards.

I would rather say sideways, not backward. I only need the mic to work. every thing else works, fine, sounds great thru my bs stereo headset that's jacked into monitor. your right in that audio has been the minimum priority for me, I got damaged hearing and its always worked since I quit using 3rd party sound cards. I just need output and I'm good. I could run it thru my home sound setup, but since I currently am headset restricted I did not hook it up.

why do u feel the adapter will be disappointing?
I just need mic for ah, nothing else, would this not suffice for that purpose only.

firewire, gotta buy multiple devices to get working. system is getting dated as well.

edit' made me look, my mobo has a ieee1394a header. which means I only need a mic. guess now I have to open the old mobo box an see whats what.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:34:46 PM by MADe »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 09:00:42 PM »
Not quite. A USB 3 mic would be cheaper. A firewire interface will run from about $70-$1000. I got a Phonic interface when they were on sale for about $119. Today I switch between it for gaming and a Saffire 40 for group meetings.

When I said I do not think you will be happy with that it is because I used something similar for gaming until I ran into a latency issue that caused my system to lockup. I still hear people talk about having the same problem with AH today, but most people just don't want to spend money on audio, like you said.

Not a problem, but when I tell you later on that this is what the problem is, then you will understand.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2015, 12:53:33 AM »
This external audio card works with instruments, 48V mics, and standard mics too:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302USB-BEHRINGER-XENYX/dp/B005EHILV4/ref=sr_1_8?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1443851266&sr=1-8&keywords=external+sound+card

EDIT: Probably more than you want to know about audio interfaces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRxYtvN4TO4

You will note that he states that Firewire tends to be more stable. I think that's true even over the latest USB 3 types, probably because Windows sucks at doing USB.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:33:49 AM by Chalenge »

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »
This external audio card works with instruments, 48V mics, and standard mics too:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302USB-BEHRINGER-XENYX/dp/B005EHILV4/ref=sr_1_8?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1443851266&sr=1-8&keywords=external+sound+card

EDIT: Probably more than you want to know about audio interfaces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRxYtvN4TO4

You will note that he states that Firewire tends to be more stable. I think that's true even over the latest USB 3 types, probably because Windows sucks at doing USB.

Damn Chalenge,

Now you got me thinking about an audio interface now.......................... ...

Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2015, 05:10:56 PM »
Just to add a bit more information I will tell you that the absolute best interface for games is the Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition, but it is expensive and is USB and not firewire. I believe it is the only external USB DAC that includes 3D processing. It does cost, though, and runs a little less than some people budget for their entire system, so for that reason I believe there will not be a lot of people running one.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
Just to add a bit more information I will tell you that the absolute best interface for games is the Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition, but it is expensive and is USB and not firewire. I believe it is the only external USB DAC that includes 3D processing. It does cost, though, and runs a little less than some people budget for their entire system, so for that reason I believe there will not be a lot of people running one.

I just went on Creative's web site & checked this out..............

1 question though.......................

Would this work better thru an add-in USB-to-PCI-E card instead of using it thru a mobo USB header due to better power regulation, port stability & PCI-E bandwidth capabilities to enhance it's potential?

This is the way I'm envisioning using it if I do decide to purchase 1 as you could run a lot of sound equipment off 1 of these in several configurations...........
Wish Creative would make the Limited vers in black w/ red accents along w/ white & gold.........................

Now I wish I'd had this conversation w\ you about using 1 of these before I bought the Zx but oh well....................

:D

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2015, 08:28:23 PM »
I would not use a PCI-e slot. It is easy enough to add a powered USB hub. Why would you want this over a Zx? To me it only becomes a requirement if you can use it in moving from PC to Xbox/PlayStation, or just need the Bluetooth.

EDIT: Oh, I get it. I forgot Zx is limited compared to ZxR.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 08:30:02 PM by Chalenge »

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2015, 10:03:08 PM »
wow, nice stuff challenge. I will have to take the time.

On a topic note, as of this moment I got it going again, no telling how long it will stick.

I got a little focused and removed the hdmi tv, added old dvi flat panel, added back an old card hooked up sound from mobo, erased, installed , pushed shoved, whined ,cried, had a tantrum, got out my hammer.
Anyways I got the 3.5mm jacks to flip back on. Funny thing is that it did not roll over until I gave up and put it back together with the 970, minus the graphics driver. I'm plugged hdmi . I can not believe it, it accepts the analog sound ports and is using an hdmi led with sound thru to TV speakers. This was not the 1st driver dance either....................... ..................

Keeping my fingers crossed about longevity.

http://www.churchproduction.com/story/main/how_i_learned_to_love_hdmior_at_least_tolerate_it
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:31:50 PM by MADe »

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2015, 04:34:20 PM »
I would not use a PCI-e slot. It is easy enough to add a powered USB hub. Why would you want this over a Zx? To me it only becomes a requirement if you can use it in moving from PC to Xbox/PlayStation, or just need the Bluetooth.

EDIT: Oh, I get it. I forgot Zx is limited compared to ZxR.

That's 1 part of it. That SB X7 series audio interface has the best components used in it (Ti Burr Brown DACs, Nichicon capacitors, etc) & packaged using it's own power supply so the power regulation will be pretty much spot on to drive the amps & other components to maximum effect, the whole unit will be located outside of the computer box so there shouldn't be ANY EMI to disturb the components & sound signaling, the interface can be used to apply sound output to several speaker setups & has input capability to bring in several devices if one chooses to use it, just to name a few..................

I actually use this SB Zx almost as if it were an interface as I use the module to control the sound volume to my Sennheiser G4ME headset (turn the headset volume knob up to full volume then leave it alone) w/ the exception of the S\PDIF out & the rest of the 5.1 connections (are on the sound card at back of box), if I had the X7 all these connections would be in the interface right in front of me to access w/o ever having to move my box to get at them (would be sitting right in between my speakers where my module is currently sitting). The reason why I brought up the idea of using a USB-PCI-E card to run this X7 thru is to mimic the way I'm using the SB Zx card right now....I have it plugged into the 3rd red PCI-E x16 slot (x8 actual) on my mobo which is direct wired thru my CPU to access system mem which by-passes the mobo USB headers, traces thru to the X79 chipset then up the DMI link to system mem as this would ensure the X7 full unfettered bandwidth access to system mem via DMA & not be exposed to the X79 chipset changing USB bandwidth speeds across the USB bus just because it can.....................

Had I fully understood then what I now do I would've got the SB X7 then & will most likely at some time down the road get 1 anyway......

:aok

wow, nice stuff challenge. I will have to take the time.

On a topic note, as of this moment I got it going again, no telling how long it will stick.

I got a little focused and removed the hdmi tv, added old dvi flat panel, added back an old card hooked up sound from mobo, erased, installed , pushed shoved, whined ,cried, had a tantrum, got out my hammer.
Anyways I got the 3.5mm jacks to flip back on. Funny thing is that it did not roll over until I gave up and put it back together with the 970, minus the graphics driver. I'm plugged hdmi . I can not believe it, it accepts the analog sound ports and is using an hdmi led with sound thru to TV speakers. This was not the 1st driver dance either....................... ..................

Keeping my fingers crossed about longevity.

http://www.churchproduction.com/story/main/how_i_learned_to_love_hdmior_at_least_tolerate_it

I figured you'd find a way to make it happen.............think about it long enough & you'll remember how as well.............

:D