Author Topic: Perk Point Awards for 2015!  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Re: Perk Point Awards for 2015!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 08:24:25 AM »
Yeah, I think we can iron this out and make it a competition for all squads no matter what size, just have to make sure we take all things into consideration.
I would like to throw in something to consider.  Make sure we make squad scores, squad scores.  A single pilot squad can rack up a pretty decent kill to pilot ratio all by themselves.  Personally, I think a "squad" should be at least 5 or better.  The HTC litmus for a squad could be gamed, and it would hurt both small, and large squads equally. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 08:32:30 AM »
I would like to throw in something to consider.  Make sure we make squad scores, squad scores.  A single pilot squad can rack up a pretty decent kill to pilot ratio all by themselves.  Personally, I think a "squad" should be at least 5 or better.  The HTC litmus for a squad could be gamed, and it would hurt both small, and large squads equally.

That is something that we are discussing... "What defines a squad in Combat Challenge?"

We might be rewriting a few things for Combat Challenge. Stay tuned.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 02:11:15 PM »
That is something that we are discussing... "What defines a squad in Combat Challenge?"

We might be rewriting a few things for Combat Challenge. Stay tuned.

I'd say 3 or more at one time.
Just because a squad has a large # of players doesn't necessarily mean they will have a good K/D. They most likely will have the most kills but they will also have a greater loss on the field. Playing with less players may give you a high K/D if you get a lot of kills per sortie but you will still have a lower kills #. Therefore, having a huge squad would give you the most kills and a lesser K/D but a small squad would give you a better K/D but not the most kills.
I think it is pretty fair for the most part because if you had a  medium amount of squadies on, say around 6 or so, and you reck havoc, you will most likely get the most kills and have the best K/D.

I think the individual stats are fine.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 02:26:25 PM »
I'd say 3 or more at one time.
Just because a squad has a large # of players doesn't necessarily mean they will have a good K/D. They most likely will have the most kills but they will also have a greater loss on the field. Playing with less players may give you a high K/D if you get a lot of kills per sortie but you will still have a lower kills #. Therefore, having a huge squad would give you the most kills and a lesser K/D but a small squad would give you a better K/D but not the most kills.
I think it is pretty fair for the most part because if you had a  medium amount of squadies on, say around 6 or so, and you reck havoc, you will most likely get the most kills and have the best K/D.

I think the individual stats are fine.
Combat challenge is, or should be, about combat. Making a high K/D a litmus for success will turn this event into a place where timidity reigns. Think of the high K/D players you know. Very few do it on skill, most do it by running at the first sign of trouble.

Just a thought.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 02:59:31 PM »
Combat challenge is, or should be, about combat. Making a high K/D a litmus for success will turn this event into a place where timidity reigns. Think of the high K/D players you know. Very few do it on skill, most do it by running at the first sign of trouble.

Just a thought.

But we are talking about squas tactics and being successful as a squad in terms of each pilot success in the squad. Planes that are similar or within the same time range are typically designed to be close fights. IE, its hard to simply run away. It has to be regarded more than simply just kills per squad because then the squad with the most players automatically has the highest chance to win, regardless of player skill (you will always bounce them with higher squadies entering the fight. Augering and reupping saves a lot of time and keeps the players cycling).  Kills per sortie IMO, is a very valuable statistic that gets left out and I think that is very important to score. A player typically has to be aggressive to get a high K/S and that should be factored in per squad basis, this way it will limit people from augering to avoid landing when landing should be important to overall success of the squad. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 03:04:09 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 03:30:52 PM »
But we are talking about squas tactics and being successful as a squad in terms of each pilot success in the squad. Planes that are similar or within the same time range are typically designed to be close fights. IE, its hard to simply run away. It has to be regarded more than simply just kills per squad because then the squad with the most players automatically has the highest chance to win, regardless of player skill (you will always bounce them with higher squadies entering the fight. Augering and reupping saves a lot of time and keeps the players cycling).  Kills per sortie IMO, is a very valuable statistic that gets left out and I think that is very important to score. A player typically has to be aggressive to get a high K/S and that should be factored in per squad basis, this way it will limit people from augering to avoid landing when landing should be important to overall success of the squad.
Same as K/d.  Makes you worry more about dying than combat. 

Just my opinion, others will think differently, and that's fine.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 10:33:18 AM »
Same as K/d.  Makes you worry more about dying than combat. 

Just my opinion, others will think differently, and that's fine.

I hear you though. I just think that K/D and K/S add a more challenging and realistic approach to squad tactics than to just make it a huge furball lake style match. Also, it allows for a shift in currents when the hoarding team goes to land kills, allowing the other team to gain foooting and bring the fight back to the middle of the war zone. I think adding metrics other than only kills gives smaller squads a chance to win as well as keeps the fights centered.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 04:04:05 AM »
or.....kills per pilot.  ie a squad of 10 scores 30 kills:  3 kills per pilot.   A squad of 4 scores 16 kills:  4 kills per pilot.  The squad of 4 is therefore ranked higher than the squad of 10 despite getting around half the kills.  There would have to be a minimum to prevent Fester, Bruv, etc from being a squad of 1 and winning everything.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2015, 11:20:27 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a breakdown for small and large squads, say 4-10 and 10+.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com