Author Topic: Bombing Airfield Fuel  (Read 410 times)

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
Bombing Airfield Fuel
« on: October 12, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »
How come fuel is rarely a major target?  According to AH gameplay, the more fuel that is destroyed, the less they can up with.  My question is, if every canister of fuel is bombed at an airfield, the enemy should have no fuel available to even takeoff, correct?  Why are all other targets bombed first and fuel is rarely touched?   :huh
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Bombing Airfield Fuel
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »
How come fuel is rarely a major target?  According to AH gameplay, the more fuel that is destroyed, the less they can up with.  My question is, if every canister of fuel is bombed at an airfield, the enemy should have no fuel available to even takeoff, correct?  Why are all other targets bombed first and fuel is rarely touched?   :huh

Because it doesn't work like you think.

When you destroy half of the fuel tanks, the enemy loses the ability to carry drop tank. If you destroy them all, maximum fuel allowed is 75%. Which is, in most situations, too little of a gain to make it a worthwhile target.
A long time ago, it used to be 50%, but this in turn had too much of an impact, so it was changed. Porking fuel is one of the game mechanics that's difficult to set 'right'.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:00:29 AM »
Ok I see.  I'm going to stop porking fuel then LoL.  I remember in Air Warrior, if all the fuel for a base was destroyed, you could no longer takeoff there.  But I see how this could ruin gameplay, since fuel is too easy to attack, and would be the only target necessary to shut down a base.  Thanks for the reply!  :salute
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 02:40:41 PM »
Not much tactical impact, but they make pretty fires.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com