Author Topic: German industry  (Read 4169 times)

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
Re: German industry
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2015, 09:47:39 AM »
Do tell. We're laughing, a bit over here in Ford Corporate.

My gosh, this little honesty and integrity thing seems to have come around and taken a nice semi-circular chunk out of their ample teutonic backsides.

That said, Toyota, Honda... yawn... unafraid. But the Koreans and VW AG? Present in every one of our markets and with a strong effort. Of course, the VW people do all their development centrally and only do the mfg engineering out in the bush.

Still, these cabbage crates always get my notice. I keep pushing our functional engineers, just as an example: "look at that Jetta's NVH dashpad. It's made of blown fiber and is as cheap as dirt. Yours is a two piece rubber and pressed foam work of art. Cheapen it up, for God's sake. You're eating into my bonus, you foolish boy scout."

Seriously? Ford Corporate and you laughing??

Are you too young to remember the Ford Pinto scandal?

Executive and Integrity are mutually exclusive terms.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2015, 10:35:53 AM »
Seriously? Ford Corporate and you laughing??

Are you too young to remember the Ford Pinto scandal?

Executive and Integrity are mutually exclusive terms.

I remember it well - though I was pretty young at the time. Regardless, I reject the narrative that Executive and Integrity are mutually exclusive. I'm, in fact, pretty certain that most people around here (and there are always exceptions, but you can say that about any group of people) actually do act with integrity. My own thinking is that screwing the customer or the public in general isn't just bad karma, it's a path to bankruptcy. But then, we've been burned a few times, both by the market and by legal issues. It might just be that the leadership here and now was conditioned by those bad past experiences (consider that one of the things you need to display to get a leadership position around here is a record of pushing back on leadership) , in which case, it's probably time for a shakeup at VW.

I'd add, I don't think its any different for anyone else. The human animal seems to step easily from prosperity to hubris. Once an individual stops owning his BS and believing it instead, he's headed for a fall. It's a perpetual war for your soul, which is why I love AH, even though I couldn't hit anything last night (my gunnery sucks some times).
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2015, 06:22:48 PM »
Now I will have to buy a used TDI to get one that hasn't been detuned. 
AMAX  in game

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2015, 08:17:14 AM »
Emissions are controlled by CDI?

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2015, 09:21:44 AM »
Everybody gets a "K" car :old:
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2015, 11:16:40 AM »
Saw some motoring journalist being interviewed on a news channel. He said falsifying performance data is widespread throughout the industry. The authorities he claimed are aware of it but prefer to let it go. The only honest car maker he thought was Honda.

It seems to me that the current rage for environmentally friendly cars is to blame. There seems to be unrealistic expectations.

I imagine other manufacturers are now looking nervously over their shoulders.

Offline WaffenVW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2015, 07:56:53 PM »
True story.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2015, 08:17:34 PM »
Try it with Golf and Polo - they are after all German cars, and you know how the Germans like their "sport"...

:bolt:
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2015, 10:07:02 PM »
or with the mopars:

Charger, Challenger, Avenger...
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline WaffenVW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2015, 10:11:45 AM »
Anal Avenger... Now there's a super hero!  :uhoh

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2015, 12:18:55 PM »
Anal Avenger... Now there's a super hero!  :uhoh

Sounds like a movie that has ron jeremy in it

See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women