Author Topic: Hurricane loses wheel while landing  (Read 2474 times)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Re: Hurricane loses wheel while landing
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 09:16:50 PM »
Nevermind, found the info.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 06:00:05 PM »
Looked like a welded brake.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 08:01:28 PM »
That tire was flat before landing and the resultant "extra braking" from the flat tire that was likely binding before it departed caused the nose over.

I'm taking a stab that the pilot heard the tire let go during flight and declared an emergency knowing that the big boom likely meant something was very wrong.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 10:13:53 PM »
Looks so yes, it is clearly shown on touchdown that something is wrong with the right tyre and that it is flat. Pilot did a good job, very smooth touchdown.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 04:46:57 AM »
I could be wrong but to me (looking at the closest blade to the camera) it looked like the blades were wood. Nowadays many warbirds use wooden "replicas" of the original blades because of situations like this. Wooden blades are much easier on the engine in an event of a prop strike.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 06:05:02 AM »
I say metal blades, the tips looks like they are bent backwards.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 07:37:27 AM »
I say metal blades, the tips looks like they are bent backwards.

I thought the same at first, then it looked like wood chips in the tip of the closest blade (could be artifacts in the video though). It is IMO hard to tell whether the blades are bent or broken backwards.

But as I said I could be wrong.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 09:13:50 PM »
In US civil aviation it would be; any sudden stoppage the crankshaft has to be dye pen/magnaflux inspected, propellor flange runout checked, that kinda thing.

There was not a sudden stoppage.  It was a light ground strike.  Now considering whose aircraft it is, it's very likely it will go through an inspection.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.