Author Topic: I'm Having Too Much Fun  (Read 403 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
I'm Having Too Much Fun
« on: November 09, 2015, 06:48:06 PM »
With my luck this version of my gunnery terrain will not be compatible with the final release called AHIII. But, I'm having too much fun with this thing.

This is a gunnery range for tanks, 88 manned gun, wirble on a 4500ft mesa to be up close with the drones. The tank shooting stand is 50ft above the floor of the plain. And slopes to hardstand fighters off the end of the runway to ground test harmonization like you see in WW2 photos against the offline target. Oh, the ditch is deep and long enough to range the B-25H out to 5000yds level. You will see a good view of the ditch in the last screen shot.

Never realized how bad I suck at lead shooting with the wirble.

Tank gunnery range. 4 Miles long, 1Mile wide. Full of static tanks.

You can't really learn to shoot with a wirble unless you get up close like on an airfield.

Ever wanted a tank to hold still while you learned to range in an 88? The farthest two are about 2 miles from the 88.

Do you really know where your rounds are hitting? Had to come up with 3 slope angles to park most planes level.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: I'm Having Too Much Fun
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 08:21:56 PM »
Sweet!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 02:00:54 PM »
Good stuff there Bustr.  :aok  I can just about imagine an irritating Trainer with field glasses standing in the observation towers.

How cool would it be if those lamp posts lit up in the evening?  :D

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 02:07:01 PM »
I'm thinking of dropping the TT object in the forest back of the tank range spawn and populating that with targets.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 02:46:29 PM »
Bustr do you have this as a download?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 05:29:53 PM »
Not yet, I'm cautious that Hitech has tweaks to do to the terrain editor before AHIII goes live. This thing is not intended for anything but offline to help players with this area of the game. The day after I tested the 4 Mile gunnery range, I already had a much improved ability to judge range through tank optics in the MA. Landed 8 kills in a tiger because of it.

I'm considering adding the TT object and populating that with static tanks. Then finding out how to setup air spawns for bombers. I'm thinking about creating a giant target with destructible buildings for level bombing practice. The air spawn would allow you to bail after your load is gone and get back up to bombing alt near the target with a button press.

Honestly I should have done this years ago rather than wish someone else would do something or Hitech take pity on us. Hitech was very kind to change the target parameters when I asked years ago. Combine that with this terrain and you are set.

I may even add a port to have that for bombing practice. I wonder if I can change the default patrol pattern to a tight circle to give the player practice judging that. Then a port with multiple spawns for PT to be out in front of the CV default path to practice torpedo runs. I could put an airfield between these ports for aerial torpedo run practice and a bunch of shore batteries. I would have to turn off protect objects. And then maybe a third port to run a CV between these two for shooting practice against the other fleets.

I really wish Hitech would let us run the drone fighters at higher speeds since in the MA no one putters across a field slower than 300-350. Just like the problem with the lead computing sight teaching you lead shooting for a 65mph ring versus a 100mph ring. In the M16, wirbel, and osti you are learning to lead for a 65mph ring.... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing