Author Topic: way way way past time for new maps!!!!  (Read 695 times)

Offline lefty2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
way way way past time for new maps!!!!
« on: November 12, 2015, 12:20:54 PM »
Comon its time!!!!!!!!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: way way way past time for new maps!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 01:38:13 PM »
Get to work lefty!

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 02:14:55 PM »
I agree, but we probably wont see anything until the new version comes out. It takes a lot of resources to create new maps, and a lot of consultation to make them right. So, there is really no point in making new maps until the new version comes out. 
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 02:36:17 PM »
I agree, but we probably wont see anything until the new version comes out. It takes a lot of resources to create new maps, and a lot of consultation to make them right. So, there is really no point in making new maps until the new version comes out.

Someone forgot to tell the AvA staff. No, wait, we ignored the sentiment an produced over a dozen terrains in the last two years. Now we're updating a select few of them to be ready when the new production version is released.
A great deal of work can be accomplished on the layout side of an MA terrain with either the AH2 TE or the new Terrain Editor if someone wants to get started. Right now, there is tons of information on the new TE and anyone interested will find plenty of help with the new editor from excited builders. But only those not inclined to lose their temper if the new version breaks their work should apply.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 06:24:28 AM »
Anyone got an estimate on the number of man-hours it takes to make a map?

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 06:57:56 AM »
It depends on the type of map. AVA maps can have lots of extra hours of work put into new terrain textures or special objects. MA maps generally do not have that but they do have hundreds of objects like bases, strats, towns, CVs, spawn points, shore batteries, roads and railways that all have to be placed by hand. These then have to be checked for properties bugs, runway clearances, SB firing angles, SP routes to the fields and so on.

It took me four years to finish CraterMA, but I had to re-write it a few times for compatibility with newer versions of AH. Also that was just doing a few weeks here and there in-between skin projects. I don't know how many hours it took in total.

I've made a rough outline of a new MA map which I just sent to HTC for their feedback. If they approve it I'll make a start on it. However skinning projects and updating CraterMA will take priority so it will be months in the making.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 03:25:30 PM »
It depends on the type of map. AVA maps can have lots of extra hours of work put into new terrain textures or special objects. MA maps generally do not have that but they do have hundreds of objects like bases, strats, towns, CVs, spawn points, shore batteries, roads and railways that all have to be placed by hand. These then have to be checked for properties bugs, runway clearances, SB firing angles, SP routes to the fields and so on.

It took me four years to finish CraterMA, but I had to re-write it a few times for compatibility with newer versions of AH. Also that was just doing a few weeks here and there in-between skin projects. I don't know how many hours it took in total.

I've made a rough outline of a new MA map which I just sent to HTC for their feedback. If they approve it I'll make a start on it. However skinning projects and updating CraterMA will take priority so it will be months in the making.

Thanks Greebo.  I hope everyone reads your post to have an idea of what it takes to make a Map.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 04:53:02 PM »
Thanks Greebo.  I hope everyone reads your post to have an idea of what it takes to make a Map.
He omitted mention of the flame retardant suit a builder needs. Don't believe it, just look at the Fester thread.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 04:54:53 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 05:52:05 PM »
He omitted mention of the flame retardant suit a builder needs. Don't believe it, just look at the Fester thread.
Yup.
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 06:32:17 PM »
Lefty,

I'm building a single island with gunnery ranges all over it with the alpha terrain editor for offline use. Greebo has my sympathy. I'm hoping my mistakes and idiot questions don't get me booted from the alpha forum. There is a body of knowledge about the relationship of objects to program functions that's just mean to a newbie at this. Elevation is relative. Then there is the 3D painting aspect which has it's own pitfalls.

These guys will help you if first you hop off a few of your own cliffs and get yourself really dirty and busted up. Most functions are tied together and build upon each other as you discover how they work. The "oba" file is your friend, I finally caught on to that Greebo.

Now if my head will stop hurting...... :bhead
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.